Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

2nd person dead from new coronavirus

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

(0) |
|

inShare 

Published: Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

LONDON, Nov. 24 (UPI) -- A second person has died from a new respiratory coronavirus that so far has infected six people, the World Health Organization said.

Coronaviruses are a group of viruses ranging from the common cold to SARS -- severe acute respiratory syndrome -- virus, the BBC reported.

The WHO said the new coronavirus has been linked to either Saudi Arabia or Qatar.

One man has been transferred to Britain for treatment.

"Until more information is available, it is prudent to consider that the virus is likely more widely distributed than just the two countries which have identified cases," the WHO said in a statement.

The coronavirus was first detected in September and is genetically distinct from SARS, Medical News Today reported.

"Investigations are ongoing in areas of epidemiology, clinical management and virology, to look into the likely source of infection, the route of exposure, and the possibility of human-to-human transmission of the virus. Close contacts of the recently confirmed cases are being identified and followed up," the WHO said.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2012/11/24/2nd-person-dead-from-new-coronavirus/UPI-79851353777721/#ixzz2DBCEfDjN

by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 24, 2012 at 6:55 PM
2 moms liked this
A new virus? While I'm very sad for the families, I have to I'm morbidly curious about a new virus.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:30 PM
Interesting and scary. My son had a form of coronavirus a couple yrs ago
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this
There are too many of us because we keep finding ways to 'beat' nature's population control, so she's going to keep fighting back, getting nastier as time goes on.

Plus there is also the possibility that we engineered these new viruses. Afterall, we've always been our own worst enemy.
romalove
by Roma on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Very scary. 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a mutated flu virus, or from something similar that attacks the respiratory tract.  And then there's always the question about whether this was actually manufactured in the lab, like the H1N1 virus.

lga1965
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a mutated flu virus, or from something similar that attacks the respiratory tract.  And then there's always the question about whether this was actually manufactured in the lab, like the H1N1 virus.

No, it wasn't.

http://www.flu-treatments.com/h1n1-virus.html

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Going to look up now.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Your article has a few anomolies in it.  First it says that the H1N1 virus went extinct, then says it shows up again.  How do you think that is?  We know that research labs keep various viruses for study, some very dangerous, like smallpox, others more benign, like measles.  Your article also scoffs at the idea that it could have been manufactured and released (however accidentally or not) from a lab, and then goes on to make the case why it is absolutely possible.  At any rate, we know for a fact that other flu viruses (such as H5N1) that made it into general population were, in fact, man made, so really, it is not that difficult a stretch to make, especially considering that other people have cooberated Gibbs' assertion that it was likely man-made, including people who worked very closely with H1N1.  I don't know why the WHO rejected it out of hand, but they certainly didn't dig very deep, and American scientists were highly offended at the idea that they could have possbibly messed up in any way shape or form, and shut down Gibbs theories as soon as they could.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting kailu1835:

No, it wasn't.

http://www.flu-treatments.com/h1n1-virus.html

babiesbabybaby development

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Was reading an article about this @ http://www.thespec.com/news/world/article/842538--experts-express-concern-about-new-coronavirus

This is the part that made me :Q

" the test that confirmed that the newly identified coronavirus was actually causing the disease SARS."

I wanted to see what the symptoms were, out of curiostiy, but it doesn't say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN