Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

US food banks raise alarm as drought dents gov't supplies

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM
  • 43 Replies

* High commodity prices lead to drop in gov't food donations

* Food banks increase food purchases, straining resources

* Hunger relief groups brace for cuts to food stamps

The worst U.S. drought in more than half a century has weakened the safety net for the 50 million Americans who struggle to get enough to eat, and the nation's food banks are raising the alarm as the holiday season gets into full swing.

Demand for food assistance - unrelenting as the U.S. economy slowly recovers from the worst recession since the Great Depression - ticks higher during the winter holidays.

This summer's crop-damaging weather in the U.S. farm belt has driven up costs for everything from grain to beef. That means higher prices at the grocery store, but it also means the U.S. government has less need to buy key staples like meat, peanut butter, rice and canned fruits and vegetables to support agricultural prices and remove surpluses.

Most of the products from those government purchases are sent to U.S. food banks, which then distribute them to food pantries, soup kitchens and emergency shelters that are a lifeline for people who struggle with hunger - including low-income families, senior citizens and people with disabilities.

The decline in government donations is exacerbating the pain inflicted by stubbornly high unemployment and a lack of income growth for many low-wage workers.

"People have been coping with economic distress for a really, really, really long time ... After several years of tapping all the resources we have, we're starting to see that we're coming up short," said Carrie Calvert, director of tax and commodity policy at Feeding America, the nation's largest hunger relief organization.

Executives at major food banks across the United States worry they will not be able to keep pace with demand, which they don't expect to ease until more Americans find better paying jobs. In a sign of how stressed the budgets of many Americans are, a record 47.1 million people used food stamps in August 2012, up from 45.8 million the year earlier.

With such pressures at work, on-hand supplies at the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank have fallen from a peak of about 3.3 weeks in 2010 to less than two weeks - the lowest in recent history, according to its president and CEO, Michael Flood.

Tightening food supplies last summer forced the food bank to start a waiting list because it does not have enough inventory to expand beyond the 640 agencies it already supplies with food. There are now 565 nonprofits on the waiting list, Flood said.

More here:http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/21/usa-hunger-holiday-idUSL1E8MKGLD20121121

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

That's very sad, our food banks are run solely and collectively by the local churches, we never received any government subsidies in the first place, so we should be able to weather the storm, locally, but the larger banks and shelters are going to suffer greatly.

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm...and it really makes you think how did we get to this place. And it makes you think further of ways to fix this problem. To bad I couldn't get the government to follow my plan for at least one year...maybe two.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Sigh, nobody will listen about climate change, or the overpopulation issue. Sad, things are going to get ugly across the globe.

D.O.E.
by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM

curious; whats your plan?

i personaly think we can start with the *proven* murders, rapists, and child molesters. i have what we call a fifty cent solution for that.  theres a few thousand we will no longer have to support.

all illegal immigrants, gtfo. hate to break it to ya, but real americans need those jobs.

min wage needs to be the same across the board, here lowest min wage is $10/hr.

insurance comapanies need to be FORCED to lower the cost of insurance, and pharma needs to be FORCED to provide medications at reasonable prices.

all companies like ford, chevy, dodge, whatever, need to reopen factories IN america, parts plants, eveything. all need to be made IN AMERICA. 

heavily heavily tax anyone who is selling goods not made in america.

and we need to address the issue with the terrorists in our own streets; gangs are OUT OF CONTROL. drugs, rampant. we need to get tough on crime, because no one should feel the NEED to carry a gun to feel safe. cops can't deal with it themselves? hey there IS a military.

anyone who is here from another country, and commits crimes, like drug dealing, theft over $5,000, or violent crimes, needs to be deported, the first time. that will get rid of a bunch of people. 

you guys are WAY to overpopulated.

Quoting NutHouseMomma:

Hmmm...and it really makes you think how did we get to this place. And it makes you think further of ways to fix this problem. To bad I couldn't get the government to follow my plan for at least one year...maybe two.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting mikiemom:

Sigh, nobody will listen about climate change, or the overpopulation issue. Sad, things are going to get ugly across the globe.

Maybe that is because climate change is natural and there is nothing to be discussed, and population numbers are fine, except there are way too many, dictators and stupid gullible people on the planet.
Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Quoting D.O.E.:

I dunno about that plan.
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Well, hun you had better start to worry as the folks with no education will be the first to go hungry. lol Oh now to find the I love Science Meme about what is Natural lol - The world is overpopulated.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting mikiemom:

Maybe that is because climate change is natural and there is nothing to be discussed, and population numbers are fine, except there are way too many, dictators and stupid gullible people on the planet.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mikiemom:

Overpopulated, based on who's calculations?

Based on what criteria?

afwifeandmommy3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Love this

Quoting D.O.E.:

curious; whats your plan?

i personaly think we can start with the *proven* murders, rapists, and child molesters. i have what we call a fifty cent solution for that.  theres a few thousand we will no longer have to support.

all illegal immigrants, gtfo. hate to break it to ya, but real americans need those jobs.

min wage needs to be the same across the board, here lowest min wage is $10/hr.

insurance comapanies need to be FORCED to lower the cost of insurance, and pharma needs to be FORCED to provide medications at reasonable prices.

all companies like ford, chevy, dodge, whatever, need to reopen factories IN america, parts plants, eveything. all need to be made IN AMERICA. 

heavily heavily tax anyone who is selling goods not made in america.

and we need to address the issue with the terrorists in our own streets; gangs are OUT OF CONTROL. drugs, rampant. we need to get tough on crime, because no one should feel the NEED to carry a gun to feel safe. cops can't deal with it themselves? hey there IS a military.

anyone who is here from another country, and commits crimes, like drug dealing, theft over $5,000, or violent crimes, needs to be deported, the first time. that will get rid of a bunch of people. 

you guys are WAY to overpopulated.

Quoting NutHouseMomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I would love to see more inner city programs where food is grown and raised. It's wasteful with how much of our food is produced on large farms using large amounts of petroleum fertilizing it, in the tractors, transporting it, etc.  I don't know how it would work but if some of the money used for unemployment and the food stamp program could be used to turn old, abandoned factories into aquaponic systems where fish and vegetables are raised. It would be healthier, more environmentally friendly and help the economy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)