Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lincoln.

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM
  • 47 Replies

My hubby and I saw the movie Lincoln last evening.  I thought is was a great movie.  Everyone was cast perfectly, except for the role of Mary Todd Lincoln.  Sally Field's interpretation of Mrs. Lincoln's mental issues reminded me too much of her role in Sybil (a story about a woman with multiple personality disorder).  She doesn't have much range and she tends to be too dramatic.... but her scenes were few, thankfully.

It was fun to watch the scenes in which the House debated the ratification of the 13th Amendment.  However, I found it surprising how (if the movie is accurate) the members debated so mean spiritedly and with such funny, imaginative name calling.

Has anyone else seen the movie yet?  What are your thoughts on the movie?

Sherri

by on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Havent seen it, but I want to see Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter lolol.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Haven't seen it - I will onces it comes out on DVD, it takes a lot to get us to the theatre.

Anyway, I heard an interview with Sally Field the other day - she said that scene would probably take a lot of people by surprise, how virulent the debate was, and that yes it's historically accurate.

As an interesting aside, my daughter was living in one of Richmond's historic districts when this movie was shot, and said several people saw Daniel Day Lewis wandering the Fan in costume and in character!

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Oh no you don't - it was BAD.  We couldn't make it past the first 20 minutes, that bad.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Havent seen it, but I want to see Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter lolol.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I want to see it.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Haven't seen it - I will onces it comes out on DVD, it takes a lot to get us to the theatre.

Anyway, I heard an interview with Sally Field the other day - she said that scene would probably take a lot of people by surprise, how virulent the debate was, and that yes it's historically accurate.

As an interesting aside, my daughter was living in one of Richmond's historic districts when this movie was shot, and said several people saw Daniel Day Lewis wandering the Fan in costume and in character!

I've heard that about DDL, he's a method actor.  Costume, accent, the whole nine yards, for the entire shoot. 

I'd like to see Lincoln, but I think I'll wait for cable.   2 1/2 hrs is too long for sitting in a theater, for me.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Daniel Day Lewis did a really great job.... I will be surprised if he doesn't win the Oscar.

I really enjoyed the debate scenes!  So spirited.... and theatrical.  Politicians haven't changed much.  lol

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Sherri

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Quoting ILive4This:

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I've heard that about DDL, he's a method actor.  Costume, accent, the whole nine yards, for the entire shoot. 

I'd like to see Lincoln, but I think I'll wait for cable.   2 1/2 hrs is too long for sitting in a theater, for me.

With all the previews before the movie, it was definitely 3 hours sitting... but once the movie started, it was so good I didn't notice the time....

except when I got home and my neck was killing me.  lol  

Sherri

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM
I rarely go to the theater...

So DVD for me. I'm only interested though because I'm in love with Day-Lewis...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I have yet to see it but I think this is one I would actually go to the theater for.  I am hoping to make the time before it comes out on DVD.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Nov. 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Wish we had family near by so that we could leave the kids to see it. Will wait for ppv on cable. I have heard good things. Funny about Sally Field. I heard the interview with her too. She was the first actor attached to the project when proposed years ago.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN