Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Which coffee is "Best Coffee In America'' IYO? Dunkin' Donuts's 'Best Coffee In America'' Trademark Bid Fails

Posted by   + Show Post

About a month and a half ago, Dunkin' Donuts submitted an application to the United States Patent and Trademark Organization (USPTO) to use the phrase "Best Coffee in America" on an exclusive basis in the marketing materials for its java. But the Boston Globe reported Friday that the USPTO ruled that the phrase is too generic to warrant a trademark.

The ruling wasn't exactly a total surprise. Several other companies have tried to trademark analogous phrases in other arenas and they've almost always failed. Indeed, the USPTO's decision on the application cites a ruling on Samuel Adams' application for the trademark "Best Beer in America."It established that such phrases were "merely laudatory and descriptive," and therefore not a candidate for trademark protection.

The Boston Globe also noted that this was the second trademark that the Canton, Mass.-based brand has unsuccessfully applied for this year. The first concerned a bagel-based version of its popular Munchkins donut holes.

But the Bagel Bunchkins seems more manifestly controversial than this one. Munchkins are one of Dunkin's signature products. Sure, Dunkin' sells lots of coffee, and plenty of people are big fans. But the best coffee in America? Try telling that to top-tier artisanal roasters like Coava, Stumptown, Intelligentsia -- or even chains like Peet's, Coffee Bean or Starbucks -- with a straight face.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/dunkin-donuts-best-coffee_n_2192020.html

Which coffee deserves to be called "Best Coffee In America'' in your opinion?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

I dropped a fortune today- I hope I like them-

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Sisteract:

At the advise of my hairdresser, I went to teavana.com today and ordered a plethora of teas. I am enjoying a nice cup of the Earl  as we speak-

In terms of coffee, I like the Mocha Java Private Selection brand that my local Ralphs (a division of Kroger) sells. I also like the Folgers Caramel Drizzle for my Cuisnart (cup) machine.

Quoting romalove:

I drink tea.  My favorite is made at home, dark black tea with sugar free peppermint mocha creamer in it.

No, don't hate...

The only thing I can drink at Teavanna is the Bubble Tea. I love the taro root! All of their hot teas make me light headed and nauseated. I suspect they have ginseng, echinacea and/or acai...all of which make me sick, sick, sick!

They really have a great selection of teas. I buy my sister the instant chai spice tea. I'm weird and have weird reactions to the lamest stuff.

SaraLovesEli29
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:05 PM
That would be a lie anyways. Starbucks has the best coffee, in my opinion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I am fine with tea. BUT I need my coffee in the mornings or I will kill someone LOL coffee

Quoting krysstizzle:

I really, really wish I could just love tea. Like I wish I could come home after a long day, change into something comfy and think that nothing would be better than a hot, comforting cup of tea. 

But no. I've tried, oh so hard, to really like tea. I can't do it. It's like running. I tried so hard to convince myself I really loved running. Pfffft. Yeah right. 

Quoting Sisteract:

At the advise of my hairdresser, I went to teavana.com today and ordered a plethora of teas. I am enjoying a nice cup of the Earl  as we speak-

In terms of coffee, I like the Mocha Java Private Selection brand that my local Ralphs (a division of Kroger) sells. I also like the Folgers Caramel Drizzle for my Cuisnart (cup) machine.

Quoting romalove:

I drink tea.  My favorite is made at home, dark black tea with sugar free peppermint mocha creamer in it.

No, don't hate...

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM

LOL

Quoting SaraLovesEli29:

That would be a lie anyways. Starbucks has the best coffee, in my opinion.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I really like Cutter's Point Coffee and Batdorf and Bronson (locally brewed coffee).

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:15 PM

GOOD FOR YOU! Tea is much healthier choice...

Quoting romalove:

I hate coffee. Never drink it.

Quoting annabl1970:

Back in Russia ( in my time, yeah, I feel old LOL) the coffee used to be  luxury. Everyone drink tea or cocoa drink ( "hot chocolate").

Quoting romalove:

No, don't hate...

storkradio193
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I prefer Starbucks, but to each their own.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:19 PM

My favorite is Newmans. McDonald's sells it. We grind our own beans daily....but I can't find Newman's beans at the stores.

PhoenixsMommy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:24 PM
DD coffee is gross. We have a local coffee shop that partners with a couple who own several coffee plantations, and that is the best coffee imo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

This is me as well. That 1 cup of coffee in the morning is just a necessity.

Quoting annabl1970:

I am fine with tea. BUT I need my coffee in the mornings or I will kill someone LOL coffee

Quoting krysstizzle:

I really, really wish I could just love tea. Like I wish I could come home after a long day, change into something comfy and think that nothing would be better than a hot, comforting cup of tea. 

But no. I've tried, oh so hard, to really like tea. I can't do it. It's like running. I tried so hard to convince myself I really loved running. Pfffft. Yeah right. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting romalove:

No, don't hate...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN