Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Which coffee is "Best Coffee In America'' IYO? Dunkin' Donuts's 'Best Coffee In America'' Trademark Bid Fails

Posted by   + Show Post

About a month and a half ago, Dunkin' Donuts submitted an application to the United States Patent and Trademark Organization (USPTO) to use the phrase "Best Coffee in America" on an exclusive basis in the marketing materials for its java. But the Boston Globe reported Friday that the USPTO ruled that the phrase is too generic to warrant a trademark.

The ruling wasn't exactly a total surprise. Several other companies have tried to trademark analogous phrases in other arenas and they've almost always failed. Indeed, the USPTO's decision on the application cites a ruling on Samuel Adams' application for the trademark "Best Beer in America."It established that such phrases were "merely laudatory and descriptive," and therefore not a candidate for trademark protection.

The Boston Globe also noted that this was the second trademark that the Canton, Mass.-based brand has unsuccessfully applied for this year. The first concerned a bagel-based version of its popular Munchkins donut holes.

But the Bagel Bunchkins seems more manifestly controversial than this one. Munchkins are one of Dunkin's signature products. Sure, Dunkin' sells lots of coffee, and plenty of people are big fans. But the best coffee in America? Try telling that to top-tier artisanal roasters like Coava, Stumptown, Intelligentsia -- or even chains like Peet's, Coffee Bean or Starbucks -- with a straight face.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/dunkin-donuts-best-coffee_n_2192020.html

Which coffee deserves to be called "Best Coffee In America'' in your opinion?

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Replies (41-50):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

dont know if you have Gloria Jeans there but I think its the best in Australia :-)

tscritch
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Quoting turtle68:

dont know if you have Gloria Jeans there but I think its the best in Australia :-)

My mom loves GJ!! I'm not sure where she got/gets it from though. (She's in the US) 

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Ick the only coffee I drink out is Stewart's, Its a convenient store chain in our area. I hate Dunkin Coffee and Starbucks is over priced sludge.

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't drink straight up coffee. I do love my mocha and Starbucks has the best ones.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

As far as chain coffee joints, I'm a Starbucks fan but the best coffee in the world comes from a place called Pete's Cafe in Ferndale, Michigan.  Right now it's winter spice flavored but not with a crappy shot of syrup, it's flavored with actual spices.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm on my 2nd cup of DD coffee this morning.  Way to start the day (for me)!

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Dutch Brothers.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Never heard of it :) must be good, the name of the brand is pretty:)

Quoting turtle68:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not like DD coffee at all. The most I'll do there is a coffee coolatta (and is that really even coffee?!).

I'm a huge fan of Tully's Italian Roast coffee, extra bold. Soo good.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM
We don't have it in my state :(

Quoting Euphoric:

Dutch Brothers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)