Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you donate to your area food bank/pantry?  If not, what do you think people that are down on their luck should do to feed themselves?  

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM
Replies (11-20):
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Quoting jhslove:

I don't hate food stamps. I do think that the PA system needs to be reformed to eliminate the ability to abuse it and live on it for years and years on end, but I don't hate PA itself.

And yes, my husband and I donate to our local food bank. My husband's mom relied on the local food bank on many occasions to provide food for her kids, so it's a cause that's particularly important to us. She was also on welfare briefly, and during that time she went back to school and finished her college degree. As soon as she had the degree, she got a job and got off welfare. As far as I'm concerned, she used PA the way that it's meant to be used and those who abuse it need to be stopped so that it's available for people like her, who legitimately need it.

So basically your saying those people who make 7-12 hr and who are eligible for foodstamps should starve and their children after a certain time period if they are never able to make more than that?

Jaliyah  My video here

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

What?! No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I think that welfare should be available as a TEMPORARY leg up to help people out while they work on a plan to better their own circumstances--whether that's going back to school, taking an internship that may lead to a full-time job, etc. What you do with that time is up to you, but if you're given the help, you have the responsibility to use it to become more self-sufficient. Welfare is not supposed to be a permanent source of income.

I separate between food stamps and welfare checks. We also have WIC here in Massachusetts, which is specifically designed to help lower-income mothers with young children. However, I don't think that people should be allowed to continue to receive welfare checks and live on those as their primary or sole source of income for years on end. When that's allowed to happen, it places a drag on the safety net that other, more deserving people need and creates a risk that that safety net will disappear for everyone.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

I don't hate food stamps. I do think that the PA system needs to be reformed to eliminate the ability to abuse it and live on it for years and years on end, but I don't hate PA itself.

And yes, my husband and I donate to our local food bank. My husband's mom relied on the local food bank on many occasions to provide food for her kids, so it's a cause that's particularly important to us. She was also on welfare briefly, and during that time she went back to school and finished her college degree. As soon as she had the degree, she got a job and got off welfare. As far as I'm concerned, she used PA the way that it's meant to be used and those who abuse it need to be stopped so that it's available for people like her, who legitimately need it.

So basically your saying those people who make 7-12 hr and who are eligible for foodstamps should starve and their children after a certain time period if they are never able to make more than that?

Lordgodempress
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Quoting AllofFive19:

I donate, but don't hate foodstamps.

me too

Lordgodempress
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jhslove:

What?! No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I think that welfare should be available as a TEMPORARY leg up to help people out while they work on a plan to better their own circumstances--whether that's going back to school, taking an internship that may lead to a full-time job, etc. What you do with that time is up to you, but if you're given the help, you have the responsibility to use it to become more self-sufficient. Welfare is not supposed to be a permanent source of income.

I separate between food stamps and welfare checks. We also have WIC here in Massachusetts, which is specifically designed to help lower-income mothers with young children. However, I don't think that people should be allowed to continue to receive welfare checks and live on those as their primary or sole source of income for years on end. When that's allowed to happen, it places a drag on the safety net that other, more deserving people need and creates a risk that that safety net will disappear for everyone.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

were you aware that in some states if you are a student you dont get foodstamps?  its that way here.   Personally i think going back to school is a reason to be able to get them since you are going to better yourself.   

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM

my family and i are on foodstamps, its been about a month for us.  my husband was working at hp, but his student loans were garnishing his wages, they were taking 25%.  we had just enough for our bills, but not enough for food, at the time we didn't qualify for food stamps.  we pretty much ate only cereal for a month straight.  my husband was laid off from his job in october.  because of the garnishments we had before, we now net more income so we are finally able to set a little money aside for another rainy year, which is exactly what we are doing.  we sold our second car and put the money in a fire proof safe and its just sitting there.  our plan is to be off foodstamps in march or april.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Since this post is about foodstamps I assumed when you said "welfare" you were including the foodstamp program as only being temporary. The TANIF program is temporary already. I think it's 36 months in a persons lifetime. These program is doing nothing but getting these families working low (very low) paying jobs. They use to help them while they go back to school but they don't do that no longer atleast not in my state. You work for DFCS from 8-5 for less than minimum wage while receiving a TANIF check. They also pay for childcare and will pick you up. When they find jobs your eligible for they send you on interviews. They do nothing to actually get you out of poverty.

Quoting jhslove:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

Jaliyah  My video here

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:54 AM
So the government should feed you for life?

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:55 AM

If food stamps worked more like WIC I doubt anyone would have a problem with them. You can't abuse or sell your food stamps if they only cover the very basics. People get their panties in a bunch over the food stamp users who clearly act like abusers and check out with 10 t-bone steaks and a pre-made birthday cake on their food stamp card because they have more budgeted to them monthly than they could possibly eat.

But I guess kids would "go hungry" if food stamps worked more like WIC because once you are used to eating processed crap for every meal its "a real pain" to be forced to eat fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains and lean meat. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM

For those eligible ABSOUTELY. Most of those people are hardworking individuals that have gotten America to become the richest in the world. No way we should become a 3rd world country b/c the capitalist take, take, take. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So the government should feed you for life?

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

Jaliyah  My video here

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Quoting illinoismommy83:

If food stamps worked more like WIC I doubt anyone would have a problem with them. You can't abuse or sell your food stamps if they only cover the very basics. People get their panties in a bunch over the food stamp users who clearly act like abusers and check out with 10 t-bone steaks and a pre-made birthday cake on their food stamp card because they have more budgeted to them monthly than they could possibly eat.

But I guess kids would "go hungry" if food stamps worked more like WIC because once you are used to eating processed crap for every meal its "a real pain" to be forced to eat fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains and lean meat. 

WIC is abused. 

Jaliyah  My video here

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN