Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you donate to your area food bank/pantry?  If not, what do you think people that are down on their luck should do to feed themselves?  

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM
Replies (21-30):
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow

Quoting ReginaStar:

For those eligible ABSOUTELY. Most of those people are hardworking individuals that have gotten America to become the richest in the world. No way we should become a 3rd world country b/c the capitalist take, take, take. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So the government should feed you for life?

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

I don't hate food stamps. I do think that the PA system needs to be reformed to eliminate the ability to abuse it and live on it for years and years on end, but I don't hate PA itself.

And yes, my husband and I donate to our local food bank. My husband's mom relied on the local food bank on many occasions to provide food for her kids, so it's a cause that's particularly important to us. She was also on welfare briefly, and during that time she went back to school and finished her college degree. As soon as she had the degree, she got a job and got off welfare. As far as I'm concerned, she used PA the way that it's meant to be used and those who abuse it need to be stopped so that it's available for people like her, who legitimately need it.

So basically your saying those people who make 7-12 hr and who are eligible for foodstamps should starve and their children after a certain time period if they are never able to make more than that?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Watch this and then we can discuss the serious issues of it. 

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_One_Percent/70092779?trkid=2361637

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

Quoting ReginaStar:

For those eligible ABSOUTELY. Most of those people are hardworking individuals that have gotten America to become the richest in the world. No way we should become a 3rd world country b/c the capitalist take, take, take. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

I don't hate food stamps. I do think that the PA system needs to be reformed to eliminate the ability to abuse it and live on it for years and years on end, but I don't hate PA itself.

And yes, my husband and I donate to our local food bank. My husband's mom relied on the local food bank on many occasions to provide food for her kids, so it's a cause that's particularly important to us. She was also on welfare briefly, and during that time she went back to school and finished her college degree. As soon as she had the degree, she got a job and got off welfare. As far as I'm concerned, she used PA the way that it's meant to be used and those who abuse it need to be stopped so that it's available for people like her, who legitimately need it.

So basically your saying those people who make 7-12 hr and who are eligible for foodstamps should starve and their children after a certain time period if they are never able to make more than that?

Jaliyah  My video here

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:03 AM

How? If it is, its minimal abuse. I'm personally not overly concerned about WIC users selling their gallon of milk or $6 in fruit. LOL. I doubt many drug dealers will trade some drugs for your WIC sack of apples.

At least WIC stuff is mostly healthy. 

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

If food stamps worked more like WIC I doubt anyone would have a problem with them. You can't abuse or sell your food stamps if they only cover the very basics. People get their panties in a bunch over the food stamp users who clearly act like abusers and check out with 10 t-bone steaks and a pre-made birthday cake on their food stamp card because they have more budgeted to them monthly than they could possibly eat.

But I guess kids would "go hungry" if food stamps worked more like WIC because once you are used to eating processed crap for every meal its "a real pain" to be forced to eat fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains and lean meat. 

WIC is abused. 

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM
No thank you.

The one percent has nothing to do with your belief the government should feed you for life. I simply do not understand that.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Watch this and then we can discuss the serious issues of it. 

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_One_Percent/70092779?trkid=2361637

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting jhslove:

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:07 AM

There has been quite a bit of abuse with WIC b/c some stores let ppl get stuff their not suppose to get. And yes you can still sell that stuff. Milk, Eggs, Cheese, bread, fruits are still items that everyday ppl buy in the store. PPl would still buy them for a cheap price just as they may buy candy, meats, etc from a food stamp recipient for cheap. 

Quoting illinoismommy83:

How? If it is, its minimal abuse. I'm personally not overly concerned about WIC users selling their gallon of milk or $6 in fruit. LOL. I doubt many drug dealers will trade some drugs for your WIC sack of apples.

At least WIC stuff is mostly healthy. 

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

If food stamps worked more like WIC I doubt anyone would have a problem with them. You can't abuse or sell your food stamps if they only cover the very basics. People get their panties in a bunch over the food stamp users who clearly act like abusers and check out with 10 t-bone steaks and a pre-made birthday cake on their food stamp card because they have more budgeted to them monthly than they could possibly eat.

But I guess kids would "go hungry" if food stamps worked more like WIC because once you are used to eating processed crap for every meal its "a real pain" to be forced to eat fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains and lean meat. 

WIC is abused. 

Jaliyah  My video here

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yeah it's easy for you to ignore the big picture. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

The one percent has nothing to do with your belief the government should feed you for life. I simply do not understand that.

Jaliyah  My video here

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM
I am not ignoring anything. I simply disagree that adults should be on food stamps for life because they earn 10 dollars an hour.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM

They pay you a salary (albeit a small one, but it's supplemented by a check), and pay for childcare and provide you with transportation, and find jobs that you're qualified for and send you on interviews, yet you say they do "nothing" to actually get you out of poverty? That's a whole lot more help that most people get. How is it that they give you all this help, career services, pay you AND provide you with free childcare and transportation, yet that's not enough? What would be enough for you?

Quoting ReginaStar:

You work for DFCS from 8-5 for less than minimum wage while receiving a TANIF check. They also pay for childcare and will pick you up. When they find jobs your eligible for they send you on interviews. They do nothing to actually get you out of poverty.

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Do you know that Americans pay alot more (I think around twice as much) for sugar than the rest of the world does? Do you know WHY? It's obvious you have serious issues with the poor while completely ignore the real issues of those in power. Your like that 5th grade bully who's scared of the other big kids but will bully the hell out of the second graders b/c their powerless to the big guys. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I am not ignoring anything. I simply disagree that adults should be on food stamps for life because they earn 10 dollars an hour.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

Jaliyah  My video here

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I firmly disagree with this line of thinking. No one is "owed" anything. No one has a right to just sit back and expect the government to feed them for life without giving anything in return. That's a sense of entitlement I just don't understand.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN