Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you donate to your area food bank/pantry?  If not, what do you think people that are down on their luck should do to feed themselves?  

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

yes it is

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

If food stamps worked more like WIC I doubt anyone would have a problem with them. You can't abuse or sell your food stamps if they only cover the very basics. People get their panties in a bunch over the food stamp users who clearly act like abusers and check out with 10 t-bone steaks and a pre-made birthday cake on their food stamp card because they have more budgeted to them monthly than they could possibly eat.

But I guess kids would "go hungry" if food stamps worked more like WIC because once you are used to eating processed crap for every meal its "a real pain" to be forced to eat fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains and lean meat. 

WIC is abused. 

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

No I do not have issues with anyone who chooses to get help.  I have issues with some of the reasons people choose to get help.   There is a big difference between the two and you really should not make assumptions like that about people.

If you don't want someone pointing out your writing flaws, then stop pretending to educate people on things they already know and probably know better than you.

Your third paragraph doesn't even make sense.   Please rewrite so I can respond properly.

Quoting ReginaStar:

LOL so you have issues with anyone who chooses to get help. If you are signing up for help obviosuly your expecting them to help you. 

If you can't handle a dicussion with someone who doesn't use proper grammer you can see your way out. 

You most certainly are. You think these poor people who are working their butts off struggling to simply survive. Scared about loosing their homes, starving,etc throughout their lives should go without if they can't figure out a way to make more money than what they are currently eligible to make. You obviously think you are superior to them. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It is not obvious that have issues with the poor. I have issues with people who expect the government to provide everything for them.

If you are going to pretend to educate me on things like farm subsidies and international trade at least bother to use proper grammar and spelling.

Who exactly am I bullying? I haven't insulted the poor. I do a lot to help. Simply because I don't think food stamps should be for life does not make one a bully.

*edited for a typo.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Do you know that Americans pay alot more (I think around twice as much) for sugar than the rest of the world does? Do you know WHY? It's obvious you have serious issues with the poor while completely ignore the real issues of those in power. Your like that 5th grade bully who's scared of the other big kids but will bully the hell out of the second graders b/c their powerless to the big guys. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I am not ignoring anything. I simply disagree that adults should be on food stamps for life because they earn 10 dollars an hour.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Yeah it's easy for you to ignore the big picture. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

The one percent has nothing to do with your belief the government should feed you for life. I simply do not understand that.

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Please read the poster that I was quoting.  She brought up the issue of people with a low IQ.   I did not assume anything remotely like that.

Reading fully is useful sometimes, but we all skim threads because we need to make the killer point immediately.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Then maybe family should be forced to.  If they are so low IQ that they cannot take care of themselves, the family needs to be legally responsible for the person.

And now, since you are going to the what if they have no family, then maybe for those with that low an IQ they can receive the assistance for that long.

But a person simply working 40 hours a week at 10-12 dollars an hour should not be on food stamps for life.   If that cannot support you, then move to a cheaper place, get a second job, get a roommate, move in with family, anything to get off the welfare.

Quoting smalltowngal:

And if family and community don't step up? I did a post on here yesterday how many food banks are at record lows. I know I've tripled my donations but not everyone can or will. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Family
Community

Quoting smalltowngal:

What would you like to do with people who have a lower IQ and will never be able to get a job other than a minimum wage job? 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Wow

That right there shows your superior attitude. I guess your to ignorant to realize that some ppl on foodstamps actually don't have a low IQ. Some of them are even college educated. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Denial. You have plainly stated that it's an issue for you. 

If you can't handle a public debate form then WHY are you here?

Then learn to read and comprehend. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No I do not have issues with anyone who chooses to get help.  I have issues with some of the reasons people choose to get help.   There is a big difference between the two and you really should not make assumptions like that about people.

If you don't want someone pointing out your writing flaws, then stop pretending to educate people on things they already know and probably know better than you.

Your third paragraph doesn't even make sense.   Please rewrite so I can respond properly.

Quoting ReginaStar:

LOL so you have issues with anyone who chooses to get help. If you are signing up for help obviosuly your expecting them to help you. 

If you can't handle a dicussion with someone who doesn't use proper grammer you can see your way out. 

You most certainly are. You think these poor people who are working their butts off struggling to simply survive. Scared about loosing their homes, starving,etc throughout their lives should go without if they can't figure out a way to make more money than what they are currently eligible to make. You obviously think you are superior to them. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

It is not obvious that have issues with the poor. I have issues with people who expect the government to provide everything for them.

If you are going to pretend to educate me on things like farm subsidies and international trade at least bother to use proper grammar and spelling.

Who exactly am I bullying? I haven't insulted the poor. I do a lot to help. Simply because I don't think food stamps should be for life does not make one a bully.

*edited for a typo.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Do you know that Americans pay alot more (I think around twice as much) for sugar than the rest of the world does? Do you know WHY? It's obvious you have serious issues with the poor while completely ignore the real issues of those in power. Your like that 5th grade bully who's scared of the other big kids but will bully the hell out of the second graders b/c their powerless to the big guys. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I am not ignoring anything. I simply disagree that adults should be on food stamps for life because they earn 10 dollars an hour.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

The one percent has nothing to do with your belief the government should feed you for life. I simply do not understand that.

Jaliyah  My video here

mama91605
by New Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM
I don't hate food stamps. I hate people that over use the system out of laziness or the lack of wanting to provide for your self. I have been on foodstamps before. I worked hard to get off them and provide for my family with out them.

My sil is pregnant (on purpose) with her 2nd child and is on foodstamps because she don't want to work. Her husband works for min wage and don't want anything better. They both have cigarettes all the time and he is a meth user, yet she expects free food because she can get it. He also smokes pot 24/7 yet they asks for handouts.

I do think food stamps and assistances is great for those who need it I just wish they had stricter laws to qualify for it.

I don't not donate food except to my dd school when they do holiday donations and such.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM

So you will not rewrite your paragraph or explain it so I can properly respond?

Then I guess I have to make the assumption that you have no clue about people not struggling and simply project your jealousy about those who don't have to struggle in a hateful assumption about them. 

I have not stated that it is an issue.   I have stated there needs to be serious reform and limits on what can be purchased and jail time for those committing fraud or selling them.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Denial. You have plainly stated that it's an issue for you. 

If you can't handle a public debate form then WHY are you here?

Then learn to read and comprehend. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

*edited for a typo.

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Quoting ReginaStar:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

No thank you.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Like a lot have said, I'm certainly not against food stamps, what bothers me is the abuse. I do donate to food banks.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I donate every year... I coupon... and I go through my shelves and in Nov I will go through and take 2 cans/boxes of everything (usually can get about 2-3 12x12 moving boxes full at least) and donate to St. Vincent De Paul every year. They helped me out when I needed food for my kids and was over income by $50 a month for FS and couldn't get it so I've been hell bent on giving back every year.

nurbabe82
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I have no issues with food stamps themselves and donate when I can.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

This is a tough question with no easy answers. My response would be that I don't think families should starve if they're unable to increase their earning power, but neither should they expect to have all their needs met by the government. My solution would probably be to have FOOD help (not cash checks) for people who meet the following requirements:

1) Have minor children living with them as dependents

2) Are employed or actively searching for work (as long as they're not disabled)

If you don't have children living with you (so children going hungry isn't an issue, and neither is childcare) or you're not working or actively searching for work, then you would no longer be eligible for the program. Of course, if you live by yourself and don't have children to provide for, feeding yourself on a low-paying job becomes easier. Not simple, but easier.

I don't think the food help should be meant to cover all of a family's food needs. It should be to help close to gap between the food they can afford to buy themselves and their family's total grocery needs.

No, children obviously shouldn't starve because their parents are stuck in a low-wage job. But at the same time, there needs to be some role for personal responsibility in all this. And there also needs to be a discussion of having only as many children as you can afford to care for. If you know that you work in a minimum wage job and are unlikely to be able to increase your earning power, then you have no business having four or five kids. Sorry if that's politically incorrect, but I feel like it's just common sense.

Quoting ReginaStar:

But I asked you this question already. I asked you from the start. Do you think that foodstamps should be a temp program and those making 7-12 hr for their life should have to starve after a certain time if they were unable to increase their wage to where they could be completely dependent on themselves and you said no. So which is?

Quoting jhslove:

I firmly disagree with this line of thinking. No one is "owed" anything. No one has a right to just sit back and expect the government to feed them for life without giving anything in return. That's a sense of entitlement I just don't understand.

Quoting ReginaStar:

For those eligible ABSOUTELY. Most of those people are hardworking individuals that have gotten America to become the richest in the world. No way we should become a 3rd world country b/c the capitalist take, take, take. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So the government should feed you for life?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)