Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you donate to your area food bank/pantry?  If not, what do you think people that are down on their luck should do to feed themselves?  

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:36 AM
Replies (51-60):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My guess is you'll see a lot more abortions and adoptions as people fear having the finacial responsibility for life. I agree that the average person shouldn't be on foodstamps the rest of their life but where we're seeing rising costs and wages staying the say, there are more people that can't support themselves. These are people who might be hard working, great people but will never make it to college or even become a manager. 

It looks like a couple in Ohio making $10 an hour, with just one working, would not qualify for foodstamps. Actually, it looks like if you are a single person working 40 hours a week making minimum wage, you would not qualify. That is if I'm reading this link correctly. 

http://www.ehow.com/info_7753602_ohio-stamp-program-income-guidelines.html

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Then maybe family should be forced to.  If they are so low IQ that they cannot take care of themselves, the family needs to be legally responsible for the person.

And now, since you are going to the what if they have no family, then maybe for those with that low an IQ they can receive the assistance for that long.

But a person simply working 40 hours a week at 10-12 dollars an hour should not be on food stamps for life.   If that cannot support you, then move to a cheaper place, get a second job, get a roommate, move in with family, anything to get off the welfare.

Quoting smalltowngal:

And if family and community don't step up? I did a post on here yesterday how many food banks are at record lows. I know I've tripled my donations but not everyone can or will. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Family
Community

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

We have a local food bank that just recently opened.

Yes, we donate to it on a weekly basis.

I don't have an issue with FS and those who qualify and need them. 

I will do what I can, which isn't much but at least we try, to help those who are not able to obtain food for their families.

lga1965
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM
This :

Quoting AMBG825:

I don't know anyone who hates food stamps. I do know people that hate the abuse within the program. I know people who hate those that are frivolous with the food stamps they get. But I don't know of anyone who hates the food stamps program itself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:35 AM

We donate to our church pantry and I ask every customer if they would like to donate a dollar or round up to the nearest 5 or 0 to buy baby food every month for a woman's shelter.

candlegal
by Judy on Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I donate to our Church food pantry.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM
I don't hate food stamps. I dont always agree with extending them, expanding the program, etc. Foodstamps under their org. purpose? Yes. However, they have been expanded to the point of allowing more waste, more fraud, and discouraging personal responsibility.

I believe in a community who works together to help one another. Yes, I donate time, food, and money to local shelters, churches, and organizations.

Especially Organizations that teach trades, skills, and encourage lifelong tools of individuals learning to build themselves up to the point of no longer needing assistance.

When the number of people on food stamps continues to GROW while a presidential admin, is touting their policies are helping the economy? There IS a problem.

To say someone hates food stamps? Stupid. How do you hate a program?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM

This is mostly the case already. Most these families recidive food help only and medicaid for their children, childcare if needed and available. Cash assistance is only a temp program. People living poverty have no other choice but to expect help from the gov. They'd starve otherwise. 

I don't know the current policies on families without kids but I do know at one time they had to do some sort of community service work in order to get FS. 

Having children you can't afford to feed is surely irresponsible but it would be inhumane to try and limit a humans basic right to procreate. This also touches on the lines of trying to rid the earth of the poor. I can't remember the name for it. 

The amt of foodstamps a family receives is not necessarily meant to be the only income to feed the family. They look at total income then subtract certain amts for the persons rent, what they think the cost of utilities should be, childcare if they have it, etc necessities then that amt subtracted from what they figure the food cost should be and they give you what else is needed. Some ppl are living on less than $25 per person while someone else might be living on $75 plus per person. Depends on the income. The problem is some ppl are living on the total amt and have no income to put with it. DFCS isn't taking into account they have a car their paying for or the gas to get back and forth may be more than the amt dfcs figured they'd use, etc.. to the point they just can't afford to actually put their own income with it. Their light bill might be higher than dfcs allotted them or their gas, etc... So many things at play here. 

Quoting jhslove:

This is a tough question with no easy answers. My response would be that I don't think families should starve if they're unable to increase their earning power, but neither should they expect to have all their needs met by the government. My solution would probably be to have FOOD help (not cash checks) for people who meet the following requirements:

1) Have minor children living with them as dependents

2) Are employed or actively searching for work (as long as they're not disabled)

If you don't have children living with you (so children going hungry isn't an issue, and neither is childcare) or you're not working or actively searching for work, then you would no longer be eligible for the program. Of course, if you live by yourself and don't have children to provide for, feeding yourself on a low-paying job becomes easier. Not simple, but easier.

I don't think the food help should be meant to cover all of a family's food needs. It should be to help close to gap between the food they can afford to buy themselves and their family's total grocery needs.

No, children obviously shouldn't starve because their parents are stuck in a low-wage job. But at the same time, there needs to be some role for personal responsibility in all this. And there also needs to be a discussion of having only as many children as you can afford to care for. If you know that you work in a minimum wage job and are unlikely to be able to increase your earning power, then you have no business having four or five kids. Sorry if that's politically incorrect, but I feel like it's just common sense.

Quoting ReginaStar:

But I asked you this question already. I asked you from the start. Do you think that foodstamps should be a temp program and those making 7-12 hr for their life should have to starve after a certain time if they were unable to increase their wage to where they could be completely dependent on themselves and you said no. So which is?

Quoting jhslove:

I firmly disagree with this line of thinking. No one is "owed" anything. No one has a right to just sit back and expect the government to feed them for life without giving anything in return. That's a sense of entitlement I just don't understand.

Quoting ReginaStar:

For those eligible ABSOUTELY. Most of those people are hardworking individuals that have gotten America to become the richest in the world. No way we should become a 3rd world country b/c the capitalist take, take, take. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

So the government should feed you for life?

Jaliyah  My video here

ReadWriteLuv
Allright 2015, you heinous bitch. Bring it on!
Yesterday at 5:22 PM
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I don't hate food stamps. Hate is a strong word. I hate that some people use them as a crutch and stay on them for years at a time and intentionally shirk responsibility to keep them. 

And yes, we donate regularly to our county food bank.

mamalusbear
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Yes, every week the local religious organizations get together to have a collective food pantry.  I'm happy to donate the food, otherwise it would go to waste.  I don't hate foodstamps....I think that there are people who really need them.

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Yes I donate thing a few times a year to charities. Food, hygiene items, clothes, toys, and shoes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN