Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florence Nightingales with joints

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM
  • 48 Replies

New Yorkers must not get rolled up in sham medical marijuana debate

New York Daily News

The marijuana wars are coming to New York, with pot advocates renewing a drive to approve weed for medical purposes.

Yo, dude, let’s get real. Let’s not pretend we’re talking about medicine. This is all about eventually legalizing pot completely.

The forces behind the medical marijuana effort range from groups that want the drug in mainstream use to firms looking to expand their purportedly therapeutic businesses into New York.

Two such outfits, based in Colorado, have hired influential lobbyist Patricia Lynch to push what’s called the seed-to-sale system for New York. In 2000, Colorado okayed medical marijuana by referendum and, this month, was one of two states that voted to approve it for recreational use.

Modeled on Colorado’s law, seed-to-sale has regulators track each pot plant from its sprouting at an indoor warehouse to the moment it’s sold at a specially licensed dispensary, to patients bearing physician-issued authorization cards.

Aimed at preventing medical marijuana from leaking into the black market, these elaborate precautions would demand costly state vigilance just to allow what should be a relatively small number of people to obtain pot.

In reality, tokers will find clever ways to game the system.

Just look at what’s happened in other states. Of the hundreds of thousands who have signed up for medical marijuana, small fractions use the drug to cope with symptoms of multiple sclerosis, chemotherapy-related nausea and the other severe conditions cited to justify the law.

Fully 94% are people with the vague diagnosis of “severe pain.” And while medical literature shows that most chronic pain sufferers are female, the majority of those using marijuana for pain are male.

Law enforcement also has repeatedly caught Mexican drug gangs funneling their product into the medical marijuana marketplace, especially in California, a downside that can be controlled only through stepped-up policing.

Then there is the danger of attaching the word “medical” to a substance that the Food and Drug Administration has never seriously studied, let alone determined to be safe or effective.

Anecdotal evidence that it seems to make a difference for some patients is no grounds for issuing de facto prescriptions.

Advocates assert that marijuana is not significantly different than alcohol and should have the same legal status. Okay, that’s the debate New York should have — full legalization or nothing. No posing as Florence Nightingales with joints.

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Well said.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:33 AM
3 moms liked this

I am for full legalization. 

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM

The medicinal properties of marijuana should not be so easily dismissed.  The gov has studied it and found it to shrink certain tumors.

For pain management it is much better in some cases than narcotics with a lot less danger.

I am also for full legaliation.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Tatiana7
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM
I'm for full legalization.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Sorry folks, I don't think Cheech and Chong will win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry anytime soon. Nor; will "Up in Smoke" will win an Oscar for Best Scientific Documentary.

There is no logical reasons for a society to allow more of its population to be mentally wasted in any fashion.

Look, marijuana isn't bad because it is illegal; it's illegal because it is bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I support full legalization.
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Do some research, it is much better for you than alcohol.

Quoting Donna6503:

Sorry folks, I don't think Cheech and Chong will win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry anytime soon. Nor; will "Up in Smoke" will win an Oscar for Best Scientific Documentary.

There is no logical reasons for a society to allow more of its population to be mentally wasted in any fashion.

Look, marijuana isn't bad because it is illegal; it's illegal because it is bad.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I am for full legalization. Marijuana can help soo many ailments w/ out the horrible side effects of Rx drugs. Anxiety, depression, cancer etc...the list is huge!!

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

It's interesting to me when people who call themselves conservatives are so exited to dictate the behavior and personal choices of others.

It's laughable, actually.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
That you can legalize alcohol and tobacco but not pot? Makes no sense. I'm not even one who partakes, but I have no problem with legalizing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN