Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Yep. The rest of the world laughs at us because of this kind of religious insanity

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM
  • 266 Replies

Louisiana Use Public Funds To Teach Creationism

Louisiana Use Public Funds To Teach Creationism

First came Louisiana’s Science Education Act, passed in 2008, which encourages teachers to critique science such as evolution and global warming and see creationism and evolution as competing theories. It was the first of its kind to be approved in a state legislature, although other states, notably Tennessee, are following suit.

Now this year, Governor Bobby Jindal signed into law a new voucher program, which gives thousands of poor and middle-class students the funds to pay for the full cost of tuition at 120 private schools across Louisiana, including small, Bible-based church schools.

Louisiana has embarked on the nation’s biggest experiment in privatizing public education, as the state moves tens of millions in tax dollars out of the public schools to pay private industry, businesses owners and church pastors to educate children.

Every time a student receives a voucher, his local public school will lose a chunk of state funding. This is the nightmare that many of us educators have been afraid of for a long time: getting rid of public education.

But it gets worse: the Science Education Act, as bad as it is, directs teachers to present creationism and evolution as equal options. Instead, some of these state-sponsored private schools will be deliberately spreading ignorance by using curriculum that repudiates modern science.

As a classroom teacher, I find this morally repugnant. Teaching is about empowering students with knowledge, not presenting them with a bunch of lies.

Buzzfeed recently printed some pages from an unnamed fifth grade textbook in an article entitled “Here Is What Louisiana Schoolchildren Learn About Evolution.”

Here’s just a sample:

Evolutionists believe that dinosaurs and man never lived on the earth at the same time. But the Bible says that God created all the land and sea animals during the fifth and sixth days of Creation. And He created man on the sixth day of Creation. So dinosaurs and man would have lived at the same time. God’s word is always accurate. We can trust it to be true even in areas of science.

This might be laughable, except for the fact that it is downright dangerous to present the Bible as fact to fifth graders.

Here’s another example from Discover:

One textbook used by many private schools makes the creationist claim that no transitional fossils showing evolutionary changes have ever been found, which is simply not true. ”This gradual change from fish to reptiles has no scientific basis,” the book reads. “For the change, to have taken place many transitional forms would have been developed. However, no transitional fossils have been or will ever be discovered because God created each type of fish, amphibian, and reptile as separate, unique animals. Any similarities that exist among them are due to the fact that one Master Craftsman fashioned them all” [poor reasoning and use of commas theirs; emphasis ours].

This excerpt comes from a high-school science book used in the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum, an educational tool in many Louisiana schools.

Another popular textbook publisher in Louisiana is bju press, “Christ-centered resources for education, edification, & evangelism.” The opening of the description for the fifth grade book reads “Science 5 focuses on man’s use of God’s creation and design as well as a study of minerals and rock, fossils, matter and heat..”

Why do people have to hold on to these simplistic ideas that deny reality and make them the laughing stock of the world? Can they really not see the Bible as metaphor?

I have plenty of ideas on this, but can’t do better than Bill Nye in this video: after pointing out that the denial of evolution is pretty much unique to the US, he explains that evolution is the fundamental idea behind all of life science, so it gets really hard to explain the world if you don’t believe in evolution. He finishes with a plea to grown-ups, that if they want to hold this completely inconstant view of the world, at least don’t force this on the kids.

And all this is happening in schools funded by taxpayer money? Outrageous.

What do you think?

Care2 Related Coverage

Creationism Back On The Curriculum In Tennessee Public Schools

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/louisiana-use-public-funds-to-teach-creationism.html#ixzz2DRaXwoRc
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleybgarcia
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I think its a great idea! Jmo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't understand how it is legal to teach creationism or other creator based theories in a public school science classroom.  I thought SCOTUS already dealt with this issue.

And I am very grateful to live somewhere that the education is top notch, and I don't have to worry about this nonsense.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

It is your opinion that teaching non-science in a public school science classroom is a great idea?

May I ask which state you live in?

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

This is why orgs such as Freedom From Religion Foundation (http://ffrf.org/) and Americans United for the Separation of Church and State (https://www.au.org/) need our support. 

They have mine.

Without continued vigilance we would see the Constitution shredded and our nation turned into a Christocracy.

ashleybgarcia
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
No offence, but no. Considering my sn is a little giving away my real name.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

It is your opinion that teaching non-science in a public school science classroom is a great idea?

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

No offence, but no. Considering my sn is a little giving away my real name.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

What about the first question, can you answer that one?

And tell me if you are in a Southern state?  Or is that too specific as well?

ashleybgarcia
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
From what I read, it said private school, and that's up to them.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, what do you expect from the South? Keep them ignorant of truth and fill their heads with religious 'truths'.  I'm just glad I live in the North.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

From what I read, it said private school, and that's up to them.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

It's TAX money being used  teach religion and that is a violation of the Constitution- THAT'S what the problem is.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
6 moms liked this

We spent about a day brushing over the concept of "Intelligent Design" in my 9th (or was it 10th?) grade integrated science class...then we moved on to evolution. That's about as much attention this nonsense deserves.

I am absolutely appalled that taxpayers are funding religious education---in science class! I would have no problem with a world religions class, or even a series of classes on individual religions, as I think such would actually do society some good, however, religious creation stories have no place in the teaching of evolution or the origin of species.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)