Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

New vs Used...holiday gifts

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
  • 120 Replies

Would you consider giving a used gift to someone? Not a re-gifted new item, but a truly used gift.

Is giving a used gift tacky? Would you be offended if someone gave you a used gift?

radioheid (sp) mentioned in another post that she has given refurbed electronics as gifts to her son. I have done the same for my kids. As she said, refurbed stuff comes packaged like new stuff.

This year, I am searching for books for my daughter from when she was a preschooler. They are obviously, visibly used. Is that different than giving a refurbed gift that looks new?

I love to shop at Goodwill and other thrift stores. I have found used items in new condition that I've given as gifts.

Would you hate to be on my gift list?

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It depends on who's giving and why, and what the gift is.

I'm an antique lover, and there are times I have been given antiques or collectibles which are obviously not new, and their "used" adds value to them.  Books about things I am interested in, new or used, are always appreciated.

One of my daughters loves it if she gets vintage clothes, and clothes from secondhand stores, likes them better than new.  The other can't stand it.

I once had a friend give me a used Coach bag as a gift, without indicating it was used.  In fact, she told me if I didn't like it she could return it.  After I looked more closely, I discovered some "handbag dirt" at the bottom and a hair clip in a very small side pocket.  If she had told me she had owned it and loved it and thought I would love it and she wanted me to have it, I would have been happy.  The deception made me sad.

So, it just depends.... 

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM
2 moms liked this

The new light brites are terrible.   I am ebaying an old school one for my 4 year old daughter for Christmas.

I think the reasons behind the gift are what is important not the newness.

My son would rather get 1000's of legos from a garage sale than a single box of 250 from toys r us for the same price.

FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as it works, I have no problem with it. My dh and I have spent a lot of time scouring the internet for used records and board games we used to play as well as VHS movies.  Our ds LOVES listening to a record storybook when he is eating and just when he wants to hear a story and I'm busy with laundry or the baby. They buy about 15mins of free uninterupted time and I know it's not just rubish tv or video games.  VHS because he can work them himself without us worrying he's going to scratch or snap a DVD.  And well, the board games I had as a kid were just freaking AWESOME! GHOSTBUSTERS? SOLD!

IhartU
by Gold Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are having an ebay Christmas this year and they don't mind one bit that it's used stuff- as long as they get stuff. I see nothing wrong with it...

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My BIL gave my daughter used books one year for Christmas.  My daughter was very happy to receive these books because she got a lot of them.  Some items are just fine being used, legos, books.  I think it depends on who the receiver is and if the gift would be appreciated.

queenanne
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM

lol about the Coach bag....the hair clip is a dead give-away!

I say...if you're going to give used gifts, you gotta be proud to give it.

I, too, only give used gifts to people I truly know would not be offended by it.

When I find a great used item that would make a good gift, I have someone in mind for that gift. I don't think I've randomly bought a used gift and thought I would put it away until a gift-giving opportunity came up.

A good way to 'fess up to the gift being used is to write on the tag, "I was treasure hunting and came across this. I immediately thought of you and had to get it." Most people who know me know that I refer to thrift shopping as "treasure hunting."

Quoting romalove:

I'm an antique lover, and there are times I have been given antiques or collectibles which are obviously not new, and their "used" adds value to them.  Books about things I am interested in, new or used, are always appreciated.

One of my daughters loves it if she gets vintage clothes, and clothes from secondhand stores, likes them better than new.  The other can't stand it.

I once had a friend give me a used Coach bag as a gift, without indicating it was used.  In fact, she told me if I didn't like it she could return it.  After I looked more closely, I discovered some "handbag dirt" at the bottom and a hair clip in a very small side pocket.  If she had told me she had owned it and loved it and thought I would love it and she wanted me to have it, I would have been happy.  The deception made me sad.

So, it just depends.... 

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting queenanne:

lol about the Coach bag....the hair clip is a dead give-away!

I say...if you're going to give used gifts, you gotta be proud to give it.

I, too, only give used gifts to people I truly know would not be offended by it.

When I find a great used item that would make a good gift, I have someone in mind for that gift. I don't think I've randomly bought a used gift and thought I would put it away until a gift-giving opportunity came up.

A good way to 'fess up to the gift being used is to write on the tag, "I was treasure hunting and came across this. I immediately thought of you and had to get it." Most people who know me know that I refer to thrift shopping as "treasure hunting."

Quoting romalove:

So, it just depends.... 

I honestly wouldn't have minded if she had told me.  The lying was what bothered me.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never give used things as gifts.(aside from vintage or antique items) Thas just tacky.  If I know someone is looking for something in particular any other time and I found that item used I might though.

thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Unless its big, like a car, diamonds or real fur, not so much. Those are every day " thinking of you" gifts in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenanne
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Old school Lite Brites RULE! We spent hours in the darkened hallway playing with that thing.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

The new light brites are terrible.   I am ebaying an old school one for my 4 year old daughter for Christmas.

I think the reasons behind the gift are what is important not the newness.

My son would rather get 1000's of legos from a garage sale than a single box of 250 from toys r us for the same price.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)