Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

At home daycare owner leaves babies at her house alone, with Grease cooking on the stove, 3 die, more injured...

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

I don't really know if this is all over the national news or just local, because it happened locally, so of course it's been all over the news here, although it happened a while ago. She's already been convicted of murder for one of the babies, and is going to have seperate trials for the others. This woman has shown NO remorse so far. Every time she's shown on camera her face just looks devoid of any emotion.

She ran an in home daycare, and was in the HABIT of leaving the house and leaving a house full of babies completely alone. Not only was this incident NOT the first time she left them alone, it wasn't even the first time that DAY. Plus, this time she made the tragically bad decision to leave grease cooking on the stove when she left. She was strolling around Target without a care in the world while those babies were being burned alive. She didn't even seem to be in any kind of hurry to get back. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57552500-504083/jessica-tata-sentenced-woman-gets-80-years-for-deadly-texas-day-care-fire/

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Who cooks grease? And leaves babies alone ....while "grease is cooking ".
This is insane.
Lock her up and throw away the key.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM

It's been talked about a lot... She's only getting 80 years for one of the deaths... She deserves worse.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Eh, she'll most likely die in jail. That's fine for me. Those poor, poor babies.

Quoting AllofFive19:

It's been talked about a lot... She's only getting 80 years for one of the deaths... She deserves worse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I agree. Maybe she wanted to pre heat the oil and was going to fry something when she got back? I don't know. It almost makes me wonder if she WANTED the house to catch on fire.

Quoting lga1965:

This is insane.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Hadn't she been cited in past for some poor practices?

Isn't she going to be tried on the other cases too?

In 1987 when I was going back to work I was looking at home daycares and Iwent to this home where there were loose electrical chords and filth everywhere- I literally ran out of that place.

lga1965
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM
That is unreal. It's crazy, isn't it?

Quoting loisl25:

I agree. Maybe she wanted to pre heat the oil and was going to fry something when she got back? I don't know. It almost makes me wonder if she WANTED the house to catch on fire.

Quoting lga1965:

This is insane.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loisl25
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I don't know if she'd been cited in the past. She is going to be tried on the other cases, though.

Quoting Sisteract:

Hadn't she been cited in past for some poor practices?

Isn't she going to be tried on the other cases too?

In 1987 when I was going back to work I was looking at home daycares and Iwent to this home where there were loose electrical chords and filth everywhere- I literally ran out of that place.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Was this lady licensed?  How stringent are the licensing rules in that area?  How well does the county follow up to make sure all their licensed providers are following the rules?  These are the things that pop into my head right away.

For kids under a certain age, my in-home DCP isn't even allowed to go in the yard while the babies are in the house, much less leave the premises completely.  Once a child reaches school-age, then they can be in the fenced in back yard while she is in the house and vise versa.  But under school age, if the kids are in the house, she is in the house.  There are all sorts of strict rules about the condition of her home, what she can and can't do while she is caring for daycare children.  She also gets frequent, unannounced visits from the county so they can check up and make sure everything is right.  There is no way that someone could make a habit of leaving the house like that and not get caught after too long.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

Was this lady licensed?  How stringent are the licensing rules in that area?  How well does the county follow up to make sure all their licensed providers are following the rules?  These are the things that pop into my head right away.

For kids under a certain age, my in-home DCP isn't even allowed to go in the yard while the babies are in the house, much less leave the premises completely.  Once a child reaches school-age, then they can be in the fenced in back yard while she is in the house and vise versa.  But under school age, if the kids are in the house, she is in the house.  There are all sorts of strict rules about the condition of her home, what she can and can't do while she is caring for daycare children.  She also gets frequent, unannounced visits from the county so they can check up and make sure everything is right.  There is no way that someone could make a habit of leaving the house like that and not get caught after too long.

Ahhh! You don't mean to suggest there is a role for the gub'ment to play with...with... REG - U - LAYSHUN????

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM

That's terrifying.  Those  poor babies, those poor parents!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN