Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Do you think a woman should be able to have as many children as she wishes to have, irrespective of whether or not she can afford to take care of them?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

Do you think a woman should be able to have as many children as she wishes to have, irrespective of whether or not she can afford to take care of them?

I really want YES or NO.

If you say "yes", feel free to offer your logic.

If you say "no", please do the same.

If you do not vote and want to say "other", please do.

And it pains me to feel that I HAVE TO SAY THIS, but...this post is in no way intended to bash single or partnered parents.

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM
4 moms liked this

yes, because I don't believe the government belongs in the business of mandating family size and/or planning.  

I can find a person's choice to be irresponsible and reprehensible and still recognize their right to be both irresponsible and reprehensible. 

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

so what is the alternative?  Forced abortions?  

Quoting ButterMeUp:

No, I find that to be idiotic. No one (or two) person/s can take care of 15 kids. When you start having that many the rest suffer, go with out, and are often forced to raise their siblings. Besides most middle class people can't really afford more than two.

I'm a firm believer in only having what you can afford and take care of. I find it to be extreamly selfish to just pop them out because you want a family. Families are like everything esle, you have to earn them.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course.  There is no other option.  Who is going to put the limits?  How will they be enforced?  There is no question in my mind that people must make their OWN decisions.

punky3175
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM
This.

Quoting katy_kay08:

yes, because I don't believe the government belongs in the business of mandating family size and/or planning.  

I can find a person's choice to be irresponsible and reprehensible and still recognize their right to be both irresponsible and reprehensible. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting Carpy:

I find it to be idiotic but do not agree with regulations on it. Slippery slope and all.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

No, I find that to be idiotic. No one (or two) person/s can take care of 15 kids. When you start having that many the rest suffer, go with out, and are often forced to raise their siblings. Besides most middle class people can't really afford more than two.

I'm a firm believer in only having what you can afford and take care of. I find it to be extreamly selfish to just pop them out because you want a family. Families are like everything esle, you have to earn them.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM

But what about the kid who doesn't get to eat?

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol, I thought this was hypothetical, sorta "in a perfect world" type question. I know we can't actually do anything about it. It would be unethical to force BC and/or abortions.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

In a perfect world people would only have children they could afford to have and there would be no need to attempt to tell people what their limit is.  

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Lol, I thought this was hypothetical, sorta "in a perfect world" type question. I know we can't actually do anything about it. It would be unethical to force BC and/or abortions.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

siorraidhe
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

i have no right to tell others what they can do with their body.  i do think that when you are unable, by your own design, to care for your children that is a problem.  that could be because your partner wants more kids than you, because you are unable to support them (one or both partners), don't beleive in use of birth control, are michelle duggar (sp?), or various other reasons (which i cannot think of). 

sometimes, accidents happen when it comes to kids and the having of them.  once, maybe twice, is an accident.  more than that is willfull ignorance.  you shouldn't continue to have children that you cannot care for.  there are some exceptions (birth control failure is one), but on the whole...no. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Clarification, none of us "have a right" to tell others what they can or cannot do with their bodies (unless you are a cop, and they wanna off themselves, you can tell them they can't do that because it is illegal and all...) BUT/AND, we can still say what we think others "should" do, and what we think is acceptable or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN