Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Do you think a woman should be able to have as many children as she wishes to have, irrespective of whether or not she can afford to take care of them?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

Do you think a woman should be able to have as many children as she wishes to have, irrespective of whether or not she can afford to take care of them?

I really want YES or NO.

If you say "yes", feel free to offer your logic.

If you say "no", please do the same.

If you do not vote and want to say "other", please do.

And it pains me to feel that I HAVE TO SAY THIS, but...this post is in no way intended to bash single or partnered parents.

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

And it pains me to feel that I HAVE TO SAY THIS, but...this post is in no way intended to bash single or partnered parents. 

Why should it 'pain' you? Ohhhh, nevermind. You are talking about your own feelings. 

? What a strange thing to say.

Just want to avoid responses that stem from personal defenses.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SWasson:

I'm never going to support the idea that the government should have control over a woman's body.

Are you government? lol

I asked what YOU think.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I think poor people have the same rights to bear children as the rest of us.

So if someone has a child and cannot feed child and said child dies, that is the parent's right? And is it still their right, if it happens more than once, twice?

:/

You didn't ask about a parent starving their children, you asked about finances.

Now you asking if it's okay for a parent to starve multiple children to death...that is a different question and most reasonable people understand the difference.

Comparing an actual value, like believing that money shouldn't impact reproductive rights, to a hypothetical anecdote is pretty stupid.

Okay, "afford" means feed, by whatever LEGAL means available.

Basic needs: food, shelter, clothing.  

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Then ask what we find acceptable

Your question isn't about what we find acceptable it's should someone be forced to stop having children against her will because of our opinion

Quoting Radarma:

Clarification, none of us "have a right" to tell others what they can or cannot do with their bodies (unless you are a cop, and they wanna off themselves, you can tell them they can't do that because it is illegal and all...) BUT/AND, we can still say what we think others "should" do, and what we think is acceptable or not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM

ethically should people have more then what they can afford? no. but should there be a law ditating how many kids people can have according to income? absolutely not. so i am for people having as many as they want just because the oppisite (being told how many by your government) IMO would be much worse.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM
Do you think a woman should be able to have as many children as she wishes to have, irrespective of whether or not she can afford to take care of them?

You asked should she be able..the answer is yes UNLESS you are pro forcing a woman through the law to stop

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting SWasson:

I'm never going to support the idea that the government should have control over a woman's body.

Are you government? lol

I asked what YOU think.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

IMO, "should" denotes acceptability. If you did not find it acceptable, you would not file it in the "should" category.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Your question isn't about what we find acceptable it's should someone be forced to stop having children against her will because of our opinion

Quoting Radarma:

Clarification, none of us "have a right" to tell others what they can or cannot do with their bodies (unless you are a cop, and they wanna off themselves, you can tell them they can't do that because it is illegal and all...) BUT/AND, we can still say what we think others "should" do, and what we think is acceptable or not.

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM
3 moms liked this

you would have probably received different answers if you had stopped at "should", instead you added "be able" which takes it in a completely different direction.  

Quoting Radarma:

IMO, "should" denotes acceptability. If you did not find it acceptable, you would not file it in the "should" category.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting Radarma:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I don't think it's smart to have as many children as you want without making sure you can afford and take care of them first, but it is a woman's right to do so.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM

OK then, nor should I have control over any body but my own.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting SWasson:

Are you government? lol

I asked what YOU think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)