Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Do you think a woman should be able to have as many children as she wishes to have, irrespective of whether or not she can afford to take care of them?

Options:

YES

NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 75

View Results

Do you think a woman should be able to have as many children as she wishes to have, irrespective of whether or not she can afford to take care of them?

I really want YES or NO.

If you say "yes", feel free to offer your logic.

If you say "no", please do the same.

If you do not vote and want to say "other", please do.

And it pains me to feel that I HAVE TO SAY THIS, but...this post is in no way intended to bash single or partnered parents.

Thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Well if we don't have a right to tell others, then what does it matter what a woman "should" do, in our opinion?

I mean of course you will get general agreement that people should take care of their kids.

I guess I'm not getting it.  This seems to me another single mom bashing post.  One on the board is enough.

Quoting Radarma:

Clarification, none of us "have a right" to tell others what they can or cannot do with their bodies (unless you are a cop, and they wanna off themselves, you can tell them they can't do that because it is illegal and all...) BUT/AND, we can still say what we think others "should" do, and what we think is acceptable or not.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I think poor people have the same rights to bear children as the rest of us.

So if someone has a child and cannot feed child and said child dies, that is the parent's right? And is it still their right, if it happens more than once, twice?

:/

You didn't ask about a parent starving their children, you asked about finances.

Now you asking if it's okay for a parent to starve multiple children to death...that is a different question and most reasonable people understand the difference.

Comparing an actual value, like believing that money shouldn't impact reproductive rights, to a hypothetical anecdote is pretty stupid.

Okay, "afford" means feed, by whatever LEGAL means available.

Basic needs: food, shelter, clothing.  

I'm not willing to put a minimum income on the right to bear children. Period. 

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

yes.  because i believe a woman has the 100% complete right to control her reproduction.  no one has a right to override her.
HOWEVER - i fully believe in the right for authorities to take children from anyone who cannot or does not care for them properly (i am not speaking of low income people or imperfect people.. i am speaking of people who harm children) - indefinitely or until they are able to do so. 

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure, she can HAVE as many children as she wants. What she can't do is expect someone else to pay for their expenses. We are all responsible for the consequences of our actions. My husband and I waited to have a child until we were financially prepared to take care of her, and right now we wouldn't be able to afford another child. So we're being careful not to get pregnant again until we can.

paknari
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM
No. Even if they can take care of them peole shouldn't have 50 children. Eventually we will all live stacked on too of each other because people can't attempt to limit the amount of people being born.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I don't like to tell people what they can or cannot do with their lives, but if a person really truly couldn't afford to care for another child then I think it would be very irresponsible to have one.  If someone really wanted more children, then they should work on bettering they're financial situation first.  I personally would like to have one more in a few years, but we wont unless we're in a better financial place by then.  Right now we make just enough to stay afloat, and I want to be able to fully provide for the child I already have. It wouldn't be fair to dd or the new baby to have to deprive  either of them of the things they need.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Quoting paknari:

No. Even if they can take care of them peole shouldn't have 50 children. Eventually we will all live stacked on too of each other because people can't attempt to limit the amount of people being born.

Are you in favor of something the "one child" rule, except only for poor people?

GLWerth
by Gina on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not my job to be the birth control police.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

No. I find it irresponsible for a person and/or parents to have more children then they can afford or care for.

I feel that way. That doesn't mean I'm going to preach about it.

Me too. I wouldn't say anything. But I have strong feelings about this.

Yes, a family needs to be able to afford children and provide for them.

abbie.alder
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quoting ButterMeUp:

No, I find that to be idiotic. No one (or two) person/s can take care of 15 kids. When you start having that many the rest suffer, go with out, and are often forced to raise their siblings. Besides most middle class people can't really afford more than two.

I'm a firm believer in only having what you can afford and take care of. I find it to be extreamly selfish to just pop them out because you want a family. Families are like everything esle, you have to earn them.

I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunatly, we can't take such rights away or we slowly lost all rights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured