Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
My 14 y.o., who hasn't shown much interest in dating yet, has made many diverse friends in high school this year. She asked me how I would feel if she dated someone from another race. I've always considered myself very liberal. I have to admit for a minute the thought bothered me. Than it bothered me that is bothered me.. Lol! Anyway, I told her that has long as they were nice and respectable than I was okay with it.

What do you think? Is it different when it is your own child?

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I think I've dated all across the spectrum. Doesn't bother me at all. 

lga1965
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:20 PM

It never bothered me. My kids are adults and married now. But we were an Air Force family, we lived all over the USA and Europe and every school was diverse and all of our friends were too. I really think military families are great and lacking in prejudices. My daughter dated guys of different races. My son's best friend ( still his best friend after 22 years) is part black, part Creole and he dated my daughter. If I was still dating, I would date a man of another race if he was funny, educated and kind and gentle and loved to travel and see plays on Broadway. LOL.  :-)

punky3175
by Punky on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Nope wouldn't bother me. I've dated men from many different ethnic backgrounds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
browneyedgrl00
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I wouldn't have an issue with it. There's nothing wrong with being open minded and trying something new.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

It would not bother me.  I have dated a Mexican and a black guy, and ended up with a white guy.  I am naturally more inclined to find people from my own racial background more attractive, as are most people (people are more often attracted to people like themselves, not just in race, but in other areas as well), but the guy I crushed on HARD at 16 was hispanic (I never did find out exactly where he was from but he was HOT and available lol).  If my kid wanted to date someone from another race, that would be fine with me.  I don't judge on race anyway, but strength of character.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM
3 moms liked this

It wouldn't bother me but it would bother my in-laws. 

LOL I wonder what they would say if at some point in the future I tell them I am dating a guy outside my race?  I haven't dated anyone outside my race only because I haven't had anyone ask me before I met Matt.  Now I did receive a message this morning from a very sexy black guy.

steffielou_who
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM
I wouldn't care! Lol.. My parents were very racist growing up, but I refuse to be anything like them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM

My daughter lives and works in So America- her BF is from So America. They are both 25, working, educated and meet all their own needs. 

My son has a long term GF. She is an American born daughter of Muslim parents who immigrated from the Middle East. My son is 22 and his GF is 21- they are both University students and wonderful people.

I am happy that my kids are involved with wonderful, bright, caring, sane, healthy people-race, culture, ethnicity, religion does not matter.

I have told my husband many times that I would rather my kids be with E and B than with azzhats of their own race, religion, culture.....

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM

When my younger son was a baby his skin was much darker, he has dark brown eyes and curly black hair, i'm super pale with blue eyes and red hair, his first word was "mama" and he called his daddy "mama" all the time. So when i'd be carrying him across a store by myself and he's screaming "MAMA MAMA MAMA" everyone gave me crazy looks like i was kidnapping him or something.  Hubs thought it was hilarious.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Funny story (but OT): So, my mom and grandmother (maternal) are as white as it gets, they're German, blond/brown hair and blue eyed. My dad is hispanic/native, and not a light skinned hispanic, either; I look exactly like my dad and his sisters. Dark skin, black hair and eyes.

So when I was about 2 or 3 years old, my mom and grandma and I went to the southern part of New Mexico. Leaving, you have to go through a border check point. So as they're going through the check point, the agent looks in, sees these two white ladies leaving the border region with a very Hispanic child, and promptly ask them to pull over. They were thoroughly questioned, my mom insisting that I was her biological daughter. lol Apparently, they were there for a good half hour at least. 

Aside from that incident, it's never bothered my mom or family, though :)

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

It wouldn't bother me. Our family is very diverse.

I will be honest though, growing up I didn't date anyone of another race because I wanted my future kids to look like me. My Aunt is married to a Samoan and her kids took after that side of the family. She used to tell me it made her sad that everyone always asked if they were her kids because she is pale & Irish while her kids look 100% Samoan...

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Wouldn't bother me at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)