Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
My 14 y.o., who hasn't shown much interest in dating yet, has made many diverse friends in high school this year. She asked me how I would feel if she dated someone from another race. I've always considered myself very liberal. I have to admit for a minute the thought bothered me. Than it bothered me that is bothered me.. Lol! Anyway, I told her that has long as they were nice and respectable than I was okay with it.

What do you think? Is it different when it is your own child?

by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
ilovecandy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

so long as the person is nice, respectable, not abusive or a low life POS, i dont care the race she dates. just need to be a decent person

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM

My husband and I have discussed this. He's opposed to our daughter dating black men and hispanic men but not opposed to our son dating anyone he chooses to. I'm working on him. I have a few years, thank goodness!

:sigh:

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM
As long as the person treats my child well and my child is happy... I don't care what the color of their skin is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
siorraidhe
by Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM

i think today it is less that it bothers you, and a whole lot more that you wouldn't know what to do or say.  not like you are an asshole, or a racist.  but you might feel as though you'd be percieved that way out of simple overcompensation for it.  (watch the episode of last man standing to see how the wife deals with it)

me personally?  i'd have no problem.  i would ask a lot of questions though, eventually, and that has nothing to do with race or culture.  my first priority?  make them feel as though they'd need hipwaders to deal with the shitstorm if they fuck up.  make sure they know that i need to know what is going on.  let them know that i'll hold them accountable for their actions, as well i will hold my child accountable for theirs. 

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM

lol!! That is pretty funny. :)

Quoting Arroree:

When my younger son was a baby his skin was much darker, he has dark brown eyes and curly black hair, i'm super pale with blue eyes and red hair, his first word was "mama" and he called his daddy "mama" all the time. So when i'd be carrying him across a store by myself and he's screaming "MAMA MAMA MAMA" everyone gave me crazy looks like i was kidnapping him or something.  Hubs thought it was hilarious.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Funny story (but OT): So, my mom and grandmother (maternal) are as white as it gets, they're German, blond/brown hair and blue eyed. My dad is hispanic/native, and not a light skinned hispanic, either; I look exactly like my dad and his sisters. Dark skin, black hair and eyes.

So when I was about 2 or 3 years old, my mom and grandma and I went to the southern part of New Mexico. Leaving, you have to go through a border check point. So as they're going through the check point, the agent looks in, sees these two white ladies leaving the border region with a very Hispanic child, and promptly ask them to pull over. They were thoroughly questioned, my mom insisting that I was her biological daughter. lol Apparently, they were there for a good half hour at least. 

Aside from that incident, it's never bothered my mom or family, though :)

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

It wouldn't bother me. Our family is very diverse.

I will be honest though, growing up I didn't date anyone of another race because I wanted my future kids to look like me. My Aunt is married to a Samoan and her kids took after that side of the family. She used to tell me it made her sad that everyone always asked if they were her kids because she is pale & Irish while her kids look 100% Samoan...

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I agree with you, I'd have no problem with my kids dating someone of another race as long as they were respectful and good people.

Mommy4000
by Ray of sunshine on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I'm the product of an interracial marriage, so I certainly can't tell my kids that I oppose. I want my kids to find love with anyone that treats them with respect and cares for them the way that I care for them. It could be a blue donkey for all I care, just be good to my babies.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I've never dated anyone of another race either, but not for any particular reason, just never met one that I clicked with I guess.  Wait, there was that hispanic boy in 6th grade...but that doesn't really count.  I think we held hands once :)  I always wanted to date someone more...exotic-looking :) But the best I could do was my olive-skinned, dark-featured caucasian (possibly half Greek or Italian?) husband.  Ah well :P

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

It wouldn't bother me. Our family is very diverse.

I will be honest though, growing up I didn't date anyone of another race because I wanted my future kids to look like me. My Aunt is married to a Samoan and her kids took after that side of the family. She used to tell me it made her sad that everyone always asked if they were her kids because she is pale & Irish while her kids look 100% Samoan...

mrs.Martinez201
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
My kids are mixed ! So they get variety anyway. lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM
It does not bother me. Ds is dating a very nice young lady who is not white, I'm honestly not sure what her race is, I think Thai dominican but I'm not sure. She is a very sweet girl.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)