Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anyone Else Going To (Or Heard Of)...

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

...the Bigfoot 50k in Cambridge, OH tomorrow?

Ok, so I know virtually none of you have even heard of it, let alone are going to it or competing---this was really just another opportunity for me to hype-up my twin sister, Kimberly, an up-and-coming "ultra-marathon" runner who has been competing in marathons, 50k, 50-mile, 100k and 100-mile races over the last 3 years. Kim finished 3rd (female) in the invitation-only "Bill's Bad-Ass 50k" earlier this month in Peninsula, OH, and is contemplating the "Rouge-Orleans" 126-mile race in Louisiana early next year. She finished the "Burning River 100", a 100-mile trail race last July, an almost incomprehensible feat, in 29 hours and 43 minutes.

This is my insane twin sister Kim:

Training run for Burning River---this is what ultra-marathon trail-runners do.

With "ultra" legends Andy Emerson and George Themelis before Burning River 100

The sign says it all. Those are her 2 kids (my niece and nephew) to the right.

2012 Cleveland Marathon (26.2 miles)

2012 Akron Half-Marathon (13.1 miles)

2012 "Peace Race" 10k

She is still hoping to improve on her times and eventually pick up sponsorship, but she has a long way to go. She is 29-years old; most ultra-marathon trail-runners are between 35 and 50 in their prime.

Just wanted to share. My sister is pretty cool.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I hope she finds a sponsor. That is amazing. If she does the one in Louisiana, wow. Just the humidity would make me not want to run.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM

She's definitely a little intimidated by it. We discussed the prospect of her doing it this morning on her way to work (I drive her...she doesn't and has never had a driver's license), and she's still undecided. I "crew" her at these events, so I will be going with her if she decides to do it, just as I'm leaving with her for Cambridge this evening (3-hour drive). Her biggest concern is actually her feet rather than the humidity; she could not walk for 3 solid days after Burning River because her feet had literally turned into giant blisters.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I hope she finds a sponsor. That is amazing. If she does the one in Louisiana, wow. Just the humidity would make me not want to run.

"Roger that. Over."

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Wow!

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM
When would the race be? If it is winter or early spring, it wouldn't be as humid. That would probably help with her feet because she wouldn't sweat as much. But even then, you guys would need to watch out for mosquitoes if it is a mild winter.

Good luck to her.

Quoting radioheid:

She's definitely a little intimidated by it. We discussed the prospect of her doing it this morning on her way to work (I drive her...she doesn't and has never had a driver's license), and she's still undecided. I "crew" her at these events, so I will be going with her if she decides to do it, just as I'm leaving with her for Cambridge this evening (3-hour drive). Her biggest concern is actually her feet rather than the humidity; she could not walk for 3 solid days after Burning River because her feet had literally turned into giant blisters.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Claire-Huxtable
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM
I was asking because I have been in the Crescent City marathon.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

When would the race be? If it is winter or early spring, it wouldn't be as humid. That would probably help with her feet because she wouldn't sweat as much. But even then, you guys would need to watch out for mosquitoes if it is a mild winter.

Good luck to her.

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I would love to run that one day.  I have a ways to go though.  I only JUST ran my first 5k race ;-D

radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:37 AM

February, I believe. If she decides to do it, I'm bringing one of those clip-on mosquito repellents. It will easily take her 32 hours to finish, and I'm not feeling the idea of being eaten alive by mosquitoes for 32 hours.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

I was asking because I have been in the Crescent City marathon.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Good luck to her.

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

"Roger that. Over."

radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Kim has only been running distances over 5-10k for 3 years. She ran her first marathon in 2010, and within 2 years, she finished her first 100-mile trail run. No way in hell could I ever hope to do it, but I do plan to *walk* the "Outrun 24" in April, and *walk* the "Mohican" Trail Marathon in June. My knees are entirely too bad to run. You should check out trail-running, you might like it better than road-running, and the community is pretty cohesive.

Quoting katzmeow726:

I would love to run that one day.  I have a ways to go though.  I only JUST ran my first 5k race ;-D

"Roger that. Over."

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

You are right, your sister is indeed pretty cool!

I envy her determination and dedication.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:49 AM

So do I. No way could I even hope to *walk* 100 miles in one sitting, let alone run it. Lord, NO. lol

Quoting FromAtoZ:

You are right, your sister is indeed pretty cool!

I envy her determination and dedication.

"Roger that. Over."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN