Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do teen mothers choose to give birth or are they basically forced into it because of lack of access to abortion/contraception/education?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 134 Replies

This is a spin off from the thread about the study saying pregnant teens need more resources.  An interesting discussion began on page 2 of the comments about whether or not the choice to have a baby as a teenager was really a choice by the teen or not, because of lack of access to Plan B, contraception, abortion, etc.

What do you think?  Do students who get pregnant as teens and give birth choose to have the babies or was it forced on them because they could not get an abortion or contraception?

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM

This is the conversation that inspired this spin off:

Quoting:

Quoting:

Quoting:

Quoting:

IMO the best thing we can do is show more support for these kids.. Obviously they are not going to abstain so all the support and education they can get will be best

Why do they deserve more support because they chose to have babies when other kids also need more support?  None of these kids are forced to have babies, there are alternatives.

We give them abstinence only education, forbid birth control and make limited access to Plan B and abortions...what else can we do with these kids? 

You're right, those are good points.  Those things make me sick.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Actually even shows like Dr. Phil have pregnant teens that want to have the baby even when their parents have offered to bring them for abortions and were open to giving them contraception. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Oooh great spinoff! :)

I think every situation is different but I'm interested in seeing what is put out here!

katy_kay08
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

IMO, it is absolutely a choice.  It may not be one they make alone, as their parents may influence their decision, but that doesn't change the fact that a choice is made.  

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

Oooh great spinoff! :)

I think every situation is different but I'm interested in seeing what is put out here!

It was your thought provoking response to me that inspired it!

LindaClement
by Linda on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM
3 moms liked this

No, some of them are twits who think that if they have a baby then 'someone will love me.'

Which is ridiculous: babies are for loving, not for getting love from.

mommaoftwo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

abortion is pretty expensive for a teen.

Then with adoption there is also the thought of " I am going to deal with the stigma of being pregnant in school, and people will think even worse of me if I give the baby away"

LindaClement
by Linda on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I also think some of it is cultural:

Where it's ordinary for 13yos to get married (when they get pregnant) it's a whole different thing from where 13yos are looking at another 10 years of full-time education, under threat of 'McJobs' for the rest of their lives (because no one ever gets promoted at McD's, everyone knows that --managers there are hatched from the eggs laid by the franchise owners.)

Where someone who doesn't complete 13 years of mass public education is considered a 'dolt' for life, there are different pressures (and different desires to escape those pressures --oops!) than where you can go back anytime, for any length of time, and learn whatever you want in a variety of different forms and formats.

Of course, there is also the cultural snobbery against 'motherhood' as an intentional choice, which many girls pretend they don't actually want but 'accidentally' end up with...

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mommaoftwo:

abortion is pretty expensive for a teen.

Then with adoption there is also the thought of " I am going to deal with the stigma of being pregnant in school, and people will think even worse of me if I give the baby away"

Having a baby is much more expensive.  If a teen cannot afford an abortion (most of which cost under $500) how can she afford a child?

jshalas89
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Well seeing that Planned Parenthood specifically targets teens I don't think teens are involuntarily giving birth. I think these are excuses by teens that have babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured