Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Governor Blames Teens For His Failed Abstinence Only Policies, Says They ‘Do Not Care’ About Birth Control

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM
  • 29 Replies

129Governor Blames Teens For His Failed Abstinence Only Policies, Says They ‘Do Not Care’ About Birth Control

Written by Tara Culp-Ressler

Even though the increased numbers of young women using effective forms of birth control have contributed to a steady decline in the teen birth rate over the past decade, Mississippi has retained the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the nation. At an event this week to address the issue of unintended pregnancy in the state, Gov. Phil Bryant (R) told reporters he believes that although most adolescents do know how to obtain and use contraception, “the problem is teenagers do not care enough” about using birth control.

The GOP governor cited an education campaign that his administration sponsored this year as an example of the steps he’s taking to address the problem:

Bryant appointed a group earlier this year to study ways to reduce teenage pregnancy, and it has also sponsored town-hall meetings in Jackson and Lexington. The group has posted several billboards around the state with a photo of a pregnant belly, complete with stretch marks, next to the slogan: “Scars may fade. A baby is FOREVER.” [...]

Bryant told The Daily Leader that town-hall meetings to discuss teen pregnancy are important. “The road to success is in having an open, frank discussion and saying we need to stop this,” Bryant said.

Bryant has said repeatedly that he believes abstinence-only is the best approach to teaching young people about sex. It’s the approach that’s been used for years by the school districts that already were teaching optional classes about sex education.

In fact, Bryant’s approach to reducing the number of unintended pregnancies in his state is directly contradictory. Even though he claims Mississippi’s high teen pregnancy rate is not due to a lack of education about birth control, and rather a disregard for using it, the reality is that many teens choose to forgo contraception because they aregrossly misinformed about how effective it is. According to the Centers for Disease Control, about one third of teen mothers decided not to use birth control when they became sexually active because they just didn’t believe they could get pregnant.

And that lack of education about effective contraception is a direct result of the abstinence-only education programs that Bryant supports. Studies have confirmed that when students aren’t given comprehensive, medically accurate information about how to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases, they end up with serious gaps in their sexual education.

A 2011 Mississippi state law requires that some kind of gender-separated sexual education must be offered in public schools, but the school districts are split between providing abstinence-only education classes and “abstinence plus” classes that — while still primarily pushing shame-based abstinence messages — include some mention about some forms of contraception. Even though Bryant’s billboards may be trying to tell teenagers that babies are “forever,” young adults won’t start getting the message about effectively preventing unintended pregnancy until they receive medically accurate information about it.

This post was originally published by ThinkProgress.

Related Stories:

Bring Up Reading Rates to Bring Down Teen Pregnancy

Way To Go, GOP! Keep Those Teen Pregnancies Coming

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/governor-blames-teens-for-his-failed-abstinence-only-policies-says-they-do-not-care-about-birth-control.html#ixzz2E0P2HwRN
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gammie
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

I'm sick of the government telling us how to educate our children. I told my kids to respect their body's, respect others and if choose to have sex they need to get protection.  (I did not get it for them)

Throwing Birth control to some will never work, as we can see women who should know better get pregnant.

What I have seen in the last 20 years with this "lets give kids bc because they are going to do it anyway" has made things worse!!!

Girls f*&cking everyone, guys getting girls drunk at parties and they will rape them.

Some of you need to be around teens they will tell the truth and giving them bc tells them that the adults think its okay for them to have sex.

I worked with teens for a long time and they always trusted me and told me everything! I did not judge them but gave them advice and they wanted it and they needed it!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM
4 moms liked this

Quote:

“The road to success is in having an open, frank discussion and saying we need to stop this,” Bryant said.

I agree with this.............the discussion regarding sex must be open and frank and on going.

However, teaching abstinence only closes that door.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quote:

“The road to success is in having an open, frank discussion and saying we need to stop this,” Bryant said.

I agree with this.............the discussion regarding sex must be open and frank and on going.

However, teaching abstinence only closes that door.

I completely agree!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gammie:

I'm sick of the government telling us how to educate our children. I told my kids to respect their body's, respect others and if choose to have sex they need to get protection.  (I did not get it for them)

Throwing Birth control to some will never work, as we can see women who should know better get pregnant.

What I have seen in the last 20 years with this "lets give kids bc because they are going to do it anyway" has may things worse!!!

Girls f*&cking everyone, guys getting girls drunk at parties and they will rape them.

Some of you need to be around teens they will tell the truth and giving them bc tells them that the adults think its okay for them to have sex.

I worked with teens for a long time and they always trusted me and told me everything! I did not judge them but gave them advice and they wanted it and they needed it!

I do have to agree with you here. 

Talking with my daughters, their friends of both genders........the overall sense is that having BC readily available to them has indeed given them the green light for having sex early instead of waiting.  

The messages are mixed.

Although, I do agree with any one being able to obtain certain types of BC without parental consent, such as condoms, as an example.  

Far too many parents are talking with their children, their teens, and basically telling them they know they will have sex young, it's 'normal' and it is 'expected'.  

I don't believe in teaching abstinence only but nor do I agree with telling our children it is okay to have sex at a young age because 'it is normal' and 'expected'.  

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I taught my daughter my beliefs regarding sex and have always been honest and open with her.  I worry, though, about the teens who can't or won't talk to their parents.  My bet is that most of their information comes from other misinformed teens.  My 14 year old niece have friends who have had sex.  Sadly, this isn't uncommon.  I personally don't know anyone who has told a teen it's normal and to be expected.  That is horrible.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this
And your post shows how Mississippi thinks and why it is still in last place for having the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the country. They have refused to "throw birth control" at their teens in favor of telling them to "Just Say No!" and that has failed miserably. Maybe trying to spread facts without extra judgment will reduce those numbers instead.

Quoting gammie:

What I have seen in the last 20 years with this "lets give kids bc because they are going to do it anyway" has made things worse!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Adults can get bc and they don't use it because of laziness.

You have to look at the whole picture. You can't change what they have been doing for decades. If your mother has babies from different men,what do think the child has learned?

Also in Mississippi do you get PA for every baby they have? In very poor area's some times this is how they make a living. The more babies you have the more you get from the government.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

And your post shows how Mississippi thinks and why it is still in last place for having the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the country. They have refused to "throw birth control" at their teens in favor of telling them to "Just Say No!" and that has failed miserably. Maybe trying to spread facts without extra judgment will reduce those numbers instead.

Quoting gammie:

radioheid
by Libertarian on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I must agree as well.

From my experience, virtually ALL of the girls who were put on birth control even *before* they became sexually active were sexually active within 6 months, and the majority of girls who were given birth control as an option took their mothers up on that offer within a year. Granted, teen pregnancy and sexual activity rates have dropped since I was in high school over a decade ago, but I doubt this particular birth control-leads-to-sexual-activity trend has changed.

I waited until I was 17 to have sex, had been with my boyfriend for over six months, and we used condoms, supplied by his father. We discussed the possibility of pregnancy beforehand, and had a plan in place in the case that I got pregnant, which included both of us finishing high school, as well as him taking on a second job. I think if more kids discussed the fact that sex often leads to babies BEFORE they have sex, fewer babies will end up resulting. I didn't want to be a teen mom, and he didn't want to work two dead-end jobs. Condoms were used, and no babies resulted.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting gammie:

What I have seen in the last 20 years with this "lets give kids bc because they are going to do it anyway" has may things worse!!!

I do have to agree with you here. 

Talking with my daughters, their friends of both genders........the overall sense is that having BC readily available to them has indeed given them the green light for having sex early instead of waiting.  

The messages are mixed.

Although, I do agree with any one being able to obtain certain types of BC without parental consent, such as condoms, as an example.  

Far too many parents are talking with their children, their teens, and basically telling them they know they will have sex young, it's 'normal' and it is 'expected'.  

I don't believe in teaching abstinence only but nor do I agree with telling our children it is okay to have sex at a young age because 'it is normal' and 'expected'.  

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

rfurlongg
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM
3 moms liked this
Well everything is always the younger generations fault. Everyone knows that. Plus, the blame game is so much more effective than introspection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Quoting rfurlongg:

Well everything is always the younger generations fault. Everyone knows that. Plus, the blame game is so much more effective than introspection.

Meh, I certainly don't blame the younger generation.  There has always been the issue of kids having sex and often times doing so resulting in pregnancy. The responsibility is widely spread.

It begins at home, in my opinion.  How it is handled at home has changed but yet there will always be those who either forbid sex or basically tell their children go ahead, just make sure you are protected.

There needs to be a balance.

In the schools as well.  It is so important to teach sex ed in our schools, beginning in elementary school.  We can't teach abstinence only but nor should be insinuate that it is okay for a teen to be having sex for the sake of having sex and disregarding any and all possible consequences of that action.  Also, boys are not held to the same standards nor are they held to the same responsibilities as the female.   They probably never will be.  

Balance is key but it is indeed very hard to find.  Very subjective.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured