Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What keeps men from proposing marriage to the mothers of their children? *EDIT*

Posted by   + Show Post

If you don't care about marriage fine, this isn't about you.

I am speaking about situations in which the women would like to be married.  Why do men feel it is acceptable to live year after year with these women who have given them a child, expecting them to fulfill wifely duties, but never propose?

How many years is enough time to wait before the woman has a right to get angry?

These are just hypothetical questions.

ETA:

For those suggesting that she propose to him:

The whole point is that the man doesn't want to get married, so it doesn't matter if the woman proposes or not.  Imagine she did and he said no.

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM

In my case I got knocked up. It wasn't a conscious decision but a failure of BC pills (I was on anti biotics at the time and I had no clue that renders those pills null and void). 

I didn't marry my son's father because I knew we would just get divorced. So it wasn't worth the money for all the paperwork. 

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

What makes a woman decide to have children without being married? Why should he fork out money for a ring etc when she is obviously willing to do everything without it.

Aivlys_
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Why buy the cow, comes to mind.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ADC2005
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Because the woman is willing doing the wife job without the ring or marriage, before I moved in with hubby he knew it was because we planned to marry, and we were not going to think about having children or buying a house or anything like that until married.
If you make it known that is what you want and have some standards for yourself you get what you want
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Reepicheep.CSL
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mehamil1:

I meant it for women who were angry about not getting a ring.
Btw the antibiotics thing happened to a friend of mine. Married but they were done having children after they had two. Surprise!!!

* Bailey William * Devon Alexander * Luca Daniel *

* Easton James * Rowena Isobel *

Newest edition coming 04/2012 :

Ginevra Louise or Spencer Matthew/Ezra Matthew

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I would have to ask the individual man.  How else would I know?

As long as the person is comfortable with the situation, that is how long they should wait.

There is no way to put a time limit on situations like this as a general rule.  Nor should we.

Cymbeline
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I believe there's a stigma attached to marriage for a lot of men. They're taught that getting married means that eventually, they will be divorced, and the woman will rob him of most of his possessions. That doesn't mean it's correct, it's just a product of our selfish society.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Because women allow it. Aot of dumb women out there.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Cafe mom may be the wrong place to ask this. You need a man to answer, maybe another forum where there's the male species. 

I did ask my SO and his male answer is "because marriage sucks" there's your male answer. We are not  married and it's 11 years and working. 

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM
3 moms liked this
Why do people HAVE to be married?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

If a woman makes the choice to be with a man who does not ever want to marry, have a child or not, she has no room to complain or whine about the choice to be with such man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)