Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Feeding the neighor kids (PIOG)

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM
  • 97 Replies

Do you feed the neighbor kids? 

We have new neighbors, our kids ( age 5 and 2.5) are friends with their kids (ages 4,6, and 10).

They typically play in the yards, and sometimes our house.  When they are in our house they always ask for food.  even when they are just in our yard - they'll open the screen door and ask for food. They ask for the fruit we have on the counter.

When they are in our house I'll typically feed them, outside, eh.  It aggrevates my DH to no end b/c "we didn't do that as kids"  I agree with him, but I don't care that much though. I don't give snacks to my kids unless I'd give to the friends too,  but it's not my kids asking, it's the friends.

I don't think they are poor as they just bought a house, a trampoline, drive a nice car, etc. . . .  But the kids always say they don't have fruit at their house. 

Do you feed your kids'friends?  or tell them to go home and eat (they live right next door BTW).

Today they've been outside, a rare 60 degrees in Dec in WI.  From the 3 kids we've been asked 5 times.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Have you talked to their parents about it? Sometimes kids don't know what they are doing is considered rude unless they are told it's rude and to not do it. 

If my son has a friend over (I can only handle one kid at a time) I will of course feed them. No question about it. But my son rarely has friends over. Our next door neighbors do not have children my son's age. If I were in your situation I would most definitely tell them to go home if they are hungry. There is no way I'd be supplying food to all these children every single day. Unless I KNEW the family was on hard times and were struggling I would have no problem with it. But it just sounds like they have a case of the "see it and grab it" and don't yet know common courtesy. 

Talk to the parents, tell them what is going on. I know it would probably awkward but still, your house isn't a grocery store. 

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I can remember having lunch at my next door neighbors house all the time. However, she always offered it (usually mac and cheese). I never ever asked for food. I always went home. Talk to the parents. Tell them their kids want fruit. 

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Yeah. I have this problem. When my kids go elsewhere, the kids snack on little debbie and ramen. When they're over here, it's fruit, because that's what we have.

I'm thinking of getting a popcorn popper...

HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids eat on a schedule. If its not time to eat I won't feed the neighbor kids but if it is I'll offer but they have to go ask their parents first.

My kids also know they are not allowed to ask for food. They wait for it to be offered or come home.

I agree with your DH. It is rude.

I would set some guidelines if I were you. If they ask I'd say "it's not snack time yet but if you're hungry you can run home and get a snack."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lynette
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I would tell them if they are hungry they need to go get something from their house.

SunFlower700
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

If they are over visiting a snack like a piece of fruit is fine.  If they are asking for food more than 3x throughout the week, then I would tell them to go home and ask their parents to make them something to eat. 

onethentwins
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. My kids are teens now. I don't like waiting on their friends so they've learned to help themselves to my food and drinks.  If I'm cooking I usually do a head count and ask how many of them want to stay for dinner.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

We did feed other kids- ours are grown, so now longer applicable.

With all the "allergies" present today, I'd be afraid to feed anyone's kid

fairy_fan
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Snacks and a drink on occasion, yes.  Meals, only when I invite them.  I have never had anyone ask to stay for supper other than DD's boyfriend...and he is starting to work my nerves on staying too often for supper.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM

No, I don't...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN