Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Feeding the neighor kids (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feed the neighbor kids? 

We have new neighbors, our kids ( age 5 and 2.5) are friends with their kids (ages 4,6, and 10).

They typically play in the yards, and sometimes our house.  When they are in our house they always ask for food.  even when they are just in our yard - they'll open the screen door and ask for food. They ask for the fruit we have on the counter.

When they are in our house I'll typically feed them, outside, eh.  It aggrevates my DH to no end b/c "we didn't do that as kids"  I agree with him, but I don't care that much though. I don't give snacks to my kids unless I'd give to the friends too,  but it's not my kids asking, it's the friends.

I don't think they are poor as they just bought a house, a trampoline, drive a nice car, etc. . . .  But the kids always say they don't have fruit at their house. 

Do you feed your kids'friends?  or tell them to go home and eat (they live right next door BTW).

Today they've been outside, a rare 60 degrees in Dec in WI.  From the 3 kids we've been asked 5 times.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I've always fed my kids friends, but not on a neverending basis.  If they're out playing, I'll offer them something...if they're out a long time, maybe I'll offer again.  Mostly I offer drinks.  But, it's rude for them to keep asking.

Maybe in an off-the-cuff type of way, say to the mom..."boy, your kids really like fruit!  They keep cleaning me out!"

andiemomo3
by Andie on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM

My kids always offer to feed the neighborhood kids!  I don't have a problem with this.  The other neighborhood moms and myself have been able to discuss openly what our basic ideas regarding what we do with the kids when they are in our yards.  We've basically decided that when in a yard, that yards rules and stuff applies.  So far it works.  Though, with the amount of allergies etc in today's world, it's always a good idea to gingerly approach the ideas with parents if you can.

i love kiddos in my yard!!  Enjoy!!

CampClan
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM

They are asking for fruit & you DH wants to deny them that? Other than what they are rewuired to serve at school or daycare that may be the only source of fruit they get! I would not deny them the fruit.

If my kids had friends over then yes I would feed them if they asked. Now... if it was something like constantly having to fix a meal then I would probably not do it (unless it was planned like for a playdate or overnighter).

queenanne
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If I have food, I will feed anyone, anytime.

rfurlongg
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I do pretty regularly. I assume they ask because our food is "different" than what they have at home. It does not bother me and I assume my kids probably ask the neighbors for food as well on occasion. Their food is different than I tend to keep at home. It all evens out in the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fallenangel7386
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:28 PM

I wouldnt be able to afford it right now because that would get so expensive. I would tell them to go to their house to get a snack. I would have them over as a family for a dinner maybe once in a while. 

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I tend to give them the fruit, b/c I'm a push over - however, the last few times two of them had apples, they had just a few bites each and set them on the table, came over the next day and did it again - NO, if you ask then you darn well eat it!.   It irritates me b/c it's everytime they are here, and they keep asking.  I've taught my kids not to do that.  If I thought they were hard-up that'd be fine, but I can't imagine they are. I don't think it's a matter of being hungry, I think they see it and want it.

I don't mind sharing, but at the same time it's rude.  I've already scolded them about opening our doors.  it's not their house, don't open our doors!

CafeMom Tickers

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Personally, I would just give them fruit or popcorn or string cheese.

There is something going on where they aren't getting enough and since I could do something about that for my neighbor kids, I would and simply not mention it to the parents unless they started wanting to stay for dinner several times a week.

viv212
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Kids always ask for snacks and food and don't finish it. They seem to always have the munchies. If it's something small like fruit, why not just cut it up and let them share? Tell them they can have 1.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM
2 moms liked this

It's so true, especially at that age.  I would slice up an apple and tell them that's the snack.   Likely it just looks inviting, so giving them a taste is all they really want.

Quoting viv212:

Kids always ask for snacks and food and don't finish it. They seem to always have the munchies. If it's something small like fruit, why not just cut it up and let them share? Tell them they can have 1.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)