Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Feeding the neighor kids (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feed the neighbor kids? 

We have new neighbors, our kids ( age 5 and 2.5) are friends with their kids (ages 4,6, and 10).

They typically play in the yards, and sometimes our house.  When they are in our house they always ask for food.  even when they are just in our yard - they'll open the screen door and ask for food. They ask for the fruit we have on the counter.

When they are in our house I'll typically feed them, outside, eh.  It aggrevates my DH to no end b/c "we didn't do that as kids"  I agree with him, but I don't care that much though. I don't give snacks to my kids unless I'd give to the friends too,  but it's not my kids asking, it's the friends.

I don't think they are poor as they just bought a house, a trampoline, drive a nice car, etc. . . .  But the kids always say they don't have fruit at their house. 

Do you feed your kids'friends?  or tell them to go home and eat (they live right next door BTW).

Today they've been outside, a rare 60 degrees in Dec in WI.  From the 3 kids we've been asked 5 times.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM

OP, I would just divvy it up, I wouldn't stand for one bite and done.  I've gotten so I do this with my kids, such a waste to have one bite of something and then they won't finish it.

I always say if they finish the whole thing and are still hungry, they can have more.  But in the case of kids continually asking, I would put them off and say "it's not snack time right now" in order to limit the asking.

If you have a bowl of fruit out it probably looks really tempting, whether they are hungry or not, so probably the answer is to just give them what they will actually eat and not give in to repeated requests.

kam013
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Our children are older now, but we were always the "go to" house on the street.  The kids knew where the snack basket was and I always kept plenty of beverages available for them especially in the summertime.  Never bothered us at all.  

Still to this day I tell anyone in my home, "you know where the fridge is, I am not waiting on anyone, help yourself."

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

Have you talked to their parents about it? Sometimes kids don't know what they are doing is considered rude unless they are told it's rude and to not do it. 

If my son has a friend over (I can only handle one kid at a time) I will of course feed them. No question about it. But my son rarely has friends over. Our next door neighbors do not have children my son's age. If I were in your situation I would most definitely tell them to go home if they are hungry. There is no way I'd be supplying food to all these children every single day. Unless I KNEW the family was on hard times and were struggling I would have no problem with it. But it just sounds like they have a case of the "see it and grab it" and don't yet know common courtesy. 

Talk to the parents, tell them what is going on. I know it would probably awkward but still, your house isn't a grocery store. 

Hard to believe you're a parent of a child with such a nasty uncaring response. No maybe their mother hates fruit so she doesn't buy fruit, no maybe their mother doesn't know how to cook so here kids don't eat much of her cooking, no wondering why the kids are always asking for food,  no nothing from you but you saying you'd tell them to go home if they're hungry. 
How does it feel being bitch of the year?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

We feed kids that are here playing with ours that includes playdates and neighbors. We always have fruit and snacks. We also get neighbor kids showing up just for snacks. It doesn't bother me.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

Have you talked to their parents about it? Sometimes kids don't know what they are doing is considered rude unless they are told it's rude and to not do it. 

If my son has a friend over (I can only handle one kid at a time) I will of course feed them. No question about it. But my son rarely has friends over. Our next door neighbors do not have children my son's age. If I were in your situation I would most definitely tell them to go home if they are hungry. There is no way I'd be supplying food to all these children every single day. Unless I KNEW the family was on hard times and were struggling I would have no problem with it. But it just sounds like they have a case of the "see it and grab it" and don't yet know common courtesy. 

Talk to the parents, tell them what is going on. I know it would probably awkward but still, your house isn't a grocery store. 

Hard to believe you're a parent of a child with such a nasty uncaring response. No maybe their mother hates fruit so she doesn't buy fruit, no maybe their mother doesn't know how to cook so here kids don't eat much of her cooking, no wondering why the kids are always asking for food,  no nothing from you but you saying you'd tell them to go home if they're hungry. 

I hardly think she's a bitch for not wanting to share her family groceries with the neighbors

connie45
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Not ready to give up your crown yet? No problem, your response qualifies you for the Decade title.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

I hardly think she's a bitch for not wanting to share her family groceries with the neighbors

Wow, another bitch mother who's so selfish she won't share her food with hungry kids. Do you pull your kids fingernails out if they eat too much of your precious groceries too?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

Wow, another bitch mother who's so selfish she won't share her food with hungry kids. Do you pull your kids fingernails out if they eat too much of your precious groceries too?

What's that thing called? You know? The green thing that lives under bridges and in caves and leaves huge piles of scat in its trail?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Starts with a "T"

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

What's that thing called? You know? The green thing that lives under bridges and in caves and leaves huge piles of scat in its trail?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Starts with a "T"

Only an idiot would respond to the same post twice. As for your big green thing that lives under bridges and caves and leaves huge piles of scat in it's trail, you need to quit looking in your mirror.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

If I am going to feed my own kiddo while other kids are around, I will offer to all.

I have never had a kid just come up to me and ask me for food. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN