Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeding the neighor kids (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you feed the neighbor kids? 

We have new neighbors, our kids ( age 5 and 2.5) are friends with their kids (ages 4,6, and 10).

They typically play in the yards, and sometimes our house.  When they are in our house they always ask for food.  even when they are just in our yard - they'll open the screen door and ask for food. They ask for the fruit we have on the counter.

When they are in our house I'll typically feed them, outside, eh.  It aggrevates my DH to no end b/c "we didn't do that as kids"  I agree with him, but I don't care that much though. I don't give snacks to my kids unless I'd give to the friends too,  but it's not my kids asking, it's the friends.

I don't think they are poor as they just bought a house, a trampoline, drive a nice car, etc. . . .  But the kids always say they don't have fruit at their house. 

Do you feed your kids'friends?  or tell them to go home and eat (they live right next door BTW).

Today they've been outside, a rare 60 degrees in Dec in WI.  From the 3 kids we've been asked 5 times.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Replies (31-40):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

Have you talked to their parents about it? Sometimes kids don't know what they are doing is considered rude unless they are told it's rude and to not do it. 

If my son has a friend over (I can only handle one kid at a time) I will of course feed them. No question about it. But my son rarely has friends over. Our next door neighbors do not have children my son's age. If I were in your situation I would most definitely tell them to go home if they are hungry. There is no way I'd be supplying food to all these children every single day. Unless I KNEW the family was on hard times and were struggling I would have no problem with it. But it just sounds like they have a case of the "see it and grab it" and don't yet know common courtesy. 

Talk to the parents, tell them what is going on. I know it would probably awkward but still, your house isn't a grocery store. 

Hard to believe you're a parent of a child with such a nasty uncaring response. No maybe their mother hates fruit so she doesn't buy fruit, no maybe their mother doesn't know how to cook so here kids don't eat much of her cooking, no wondering why the kids are always asking for food,  no nothing from you but you saying you'd tell them to go home if they're hungry. 
How does it feel being bitch of the year?

I hardly think she's a bitch for not wanting to share her family groceries with the neighbors

Wow, another bitch mother who's so selfish she won't share her food with hungry kids. Do you pull your kids fingernails out if they eat too much of your precious groceries too?

What's that thing called? You know? The green thing that lives under bridges and in caves and leaves huge piles of scat in its trail?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Starts with a "T"

Only an idiot would respond to the same post twice. As for your big green thing that lives under bridges and caves and leaves huge piles of scat in it's trail, you need to quit looking in your mirror.  

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

Have you talked to their parents about it? Sometimes kids don't know what they are doing is considered rude unless they are told it's rude and to not do it. 

If my son has a friend over (I can only handle one kid at a time) I will of course feed them. No question about it. But my son rarely has friends over. Our next door neighbors do not have children my son's age. If I were in your situation I would most definitely tell them to go home if they are hungry. There is no way I'd be supplying food to all these children every single day. Unless I KNEW the family was on hard times and were struggling I would have no problem with it. But it just sounds like they have a case of the "see it and grab it" and don't yet know common courtesy. 

Talk to the parents, tell them what is going on. I know it would probably awkward but still, your house isn't a grocery store. 

Hard to believe you're a parent of a child with such a nasty uncaring response. No maybe their mother hates fruit so she doesn't buy fruit, no maybe their mother doesn't know how to cook so here kids don't eat much of her cooking, no wondering why the kids are always asking for food,  no nothing from you but you saying you'd tell them to go home if they're hungry. 

I hardly think she's a bitch for not wanting to share her family groceries with the neighbors

Wow, another bitch mother who's so selfish she won't share her food with hungry kids. Do you pull your kids fingernails out if they eat too much of your precious groceries too?

What's that thing called? You know? The green thing that lives under bridges and in caves and leaves huge piles of scat in its trail?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Starts with a "T"

Only an idiot would respond to the same post twice. As for your big green thing that lives under bridges and caves and leaves huge piles of scat in it's trail, you need to quit looking in your mirror.  

Do you realize that while you are calling others nasty, uncaring, a bitch and an idiot, the only one who truly looks like they could fit that bill is you?

Meh, probably not.

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Starts with a "T"

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

OH.MY!!!!!!!

I almost spit out the skittles I just stole from the neighbor kid. lmao

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

My neighbors boys do this every time they come over.  It actually embarrasses the mother. She has told them not to ask for food, but they do. They will ask, can I go in your house and get some food.  The last time they were over, I had drinks and one kid drank half a bottle of gator ade! maybe over half.  I have even had them go into my pantry and try to help themselves. I was raised not to ask for food either.  I teach my kids not to ask but they can accept if offered.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Yes, we do. We feed theirs, they feed ours. Lol.

DD's best friend lives in our neighborhood every other week (parents share custody 50/50). When she's here, at her father's, the girls float between the two houses, helping themselves. I shop with that in mind, lol. I have no problem with it at all. We enjoy the company.

And when I was a child, we did the same. My family fed other children; other parents fed us. No big.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Oh and I generally say yes unless I don't have any thing to offer.  

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM
If they were invited over for a play date then yes. If they are just playing outside then most likely no.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

We have a neighbor kid who is over all the time. He's invited to share our meal/snack, go home a get something and bring it back, just go home, or just sit at the table with us.

There are only 3 of us and our budget is tight but not so tight that we can't spare a handful of grapes or a hot dog. I think we all fare better if we're generous to each other, children included.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting mehamil1:

Eat a fat dick.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

^^^^^^^^^^haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I laughed so hard my husband is now questioning my sanity

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured