Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Speaking of sex ed and what kids do not know.............

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM
  • 98 Replies
2 moms liked this

My daughter was just telling me about a friend and what happened in PE today.

One of the girls asked another if they had a pad and some how they got on the topic of their periods, which lead to one girl talking about pregnancy and how the female body works, etc.

B told the girls that she had no idea that is why women have periods and she knew nothing about how all of that played in to getting pregnant.

A few other girls heard and began to make fun of her for not being aware.  They asked her why she did not pay attention in sex ed class back in 6th grade.  She told them her parents would not allow her to be there.  Two of the girls began to really poke at her.  My daughter and another student took B with them and they left the building, as B was crying.  They went to the office and explained what happened.  The office called B's mom.

A prime example of why sex ed in schools is so important.  If the parent fails to parent the child needs to know the facts.  Being made fun of because you are unaware.......why would you want to put your child in such a position?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Greenstone920
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM
7 moms liked this

Or you come on Cafemom 10 years later, and still not know how the process works.  I've sadly seen it on here as well: women who don't understand the female anatomy, and how a menstrual cycle works in regards to pregnancy.  Usually, they're the ones with irish twins.  "But I hadn't had my period, so how could I get pregnant?"

lga1965
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this! And your daughter was so sweet to help ths poor girl who was being teased . Yes, parents who don't want their kids to know about sex,reproduction, etc are failing their children. If the schools present these educational sessions, all kids should be able to see them. Its disgusting that some parents are so controlling and uptight that they won't their kids participate. Obviously this girl's Mom has dropped the ball and avoided discussing these things with her at home. And yet she won't let her learn at school. I bet she says "Its MY job to tell my children when they are ready." But they never seem to be ready.  TOO many parents say that. (Some here )Just really stupid since it seems they don't educate them either. And then the kids are humiliated by their lack of knowledge.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Teasing happens. It's not right but it happens. We as parents and educators need to do everything possible to stop it and minimize the damage. However, I would be more concerned about her not knowing than being teased about it. That's just stupid shit kids do. Oh, you don't know about such and such? (It really doesn't matter what it is or isn't) Que the reason to tease. Kids don't need much, they'll tease if they think they can get away with it. 

Her parents are stupid for not educating her though. What the hell is wrong with some people? 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Ain't that the truth.

I've seen one in the past 30 days, serious question, that asked if she could get pregnant while she was still pregnant, and it was important to know because it was possible then she and her husband were definitely not having sex until the baby was born.

Quoting Greenstone920:

Or you come on Cafemom 10 years later, and still not know how the process works.  I've sadly seen it on here as well: women who don't understand the female anatomy, and how a menstrual cycle works in regards to pregnancy.  Usually, they're the ones with irish twins.  "But I hadn't had my period, so how could I get pregnant?"

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My cousin would punch his erection to make it go away...when he was 16 because he never got the sex talk. It was hilarious for everyone else when we found this out but yet so wrong and sad.

terpmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Worst one I've seen was my ex boyfriends mother... She informed her daughter (aged 14-15) that it was her duty/responsiblity to give her husband a son. That if she listened to her body she would know when a boy egg was ready and then to give him a son. The really sad part.... Mom was a nurse!!
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

When my sis was still teaching (she is on hiatus while she raises her kids), she taught sex ed to high school students.  She was utterly shocked, every year, at how uneducated these kids were. She gave them a pre-test..anonymously...and the results were jaw-dropping.  What also surprised her, was how rabid they were to learn, and how not shy they were to ask questions.  She taught in downtown Joliet (IL), very inner city-ish.  A lot of them had no one they were close to, or trusted, to ask.  She loved that job, and found it extremely fulfilling.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I think it is very imporant.

lga1965
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Quoting purpleducky:

My cousin would punch his erection to make it go away...when he was 16 because he never got the sex talk. It was hilarious for everyone else when we found this out but yet so wrong and sad.

Oh ouch! The poor guy. Didn't he ever discuss these things with buddies at school?

Holy moly. That's not funny.

Greenstone920
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM
3 moms liked this
I can't imagine NOT discussing these topics with my boys. It starts when they're babies. My16 mo knows what his penis is. My 6 yo knew that mommies/girls have vaginas by the time he turned 3. He knows that he and his brother came out through my vagina. He knows about erections, although he luckily doesn't get them as frequently as he used to, and we've talked some about puberty. He doesn't know about actual sex yet, as he never asked how his brother got IN, lol, but I know that's coming, and I'm prepared.

Quoting lga1965:

I agree with this! And your daughter was so sweet to help ths poor girl who was being teased . Yes, parents who don't want their kids to know about sex,reproduction, etc are failing their children. If the schools present these educational sessions, all kids should be able to see them. Its disgusting that some parents are so controlling and uptight that they won't their kids participate. Obviously this girl's Mom has dropped the ball and avoided discussing these things with her at home. And yet she won't let her learn at school. I bet she says "Its MY job to tell my children when they are ready." But they never seem to be ready.  TOO many parents say that. (Some here )Just really stupid since it seems they don't educate them either. And then the kids are humiliated by their lack of knowledge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)