Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Speaking of sex ed and what kids do not know.............

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter was just telling me about a friend and what happened in PE today.

One of the girls asked another if they had a pad and some how they got on the topic of their periods, which lead to one girl talking about pregnancy and how the female body works, etc.

B told the girls that she had no idea that is why women have periods and she knew nothing about how all of that played in to getting pregnant.

A few other girls heard and began to make fun of her for not being aware.  They asked her why she did not pay attention in sex ed class back in 6th grade.  She told them her parents would not allow her to be there.  Two of the girls began to really poke at her.  My daughter and another student took B with them and they left the building, as B was crying.  They went to the office and explained what happened.  The office called B's mom.

A prime example of why sex ed in schools is so important.  If the parent fails to parent the child needs to know the facts.  Being made fun of because you are unaware.......why would you want to put your child in such a position?

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Replies (91-98):
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Sex ed needs to be taught BEFORE kids start having sex so they WON'T have sex, or at least will be safe about it.  The preteen years are the perfect time for that, not when they're already in high school and surrounded by temptation and peer pressure.  I can't tell you how many girls I knew in high school who were raised in "a good, Christian home" and "knew" that sex was for marriage, but had sex anyway...

Quoting mitty18:

I highly doubt my kids are going to go out and have sex at 11 years old. Mostly because they'll be supervised and won't be allowed the opportunity to go out and experiment. We plan on raising our children in a good, Christain home. If we succeed they'll know that sex is for after marriage anyways.

Again this is my choice to make as a parent and it does NOT equal ignorance or parenting fail.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Well we were displaced by Hurricane IKE. I went to another town, in the sticks, for a good rent. The owner had animals on the property I was to take care of. My son saw the bull mounting the cow, the miniture horse mounting the mare, the rooster with the flock of hens. Personally I was impressed with the rooster! What a go getter! My son saw sex in a natural way. He also saw birth and death. My son is 10. He knows of sex. He also knows his Uncle Micheal died of Aids. He knows to wrap that rascle. Babies are one thing. Aids is different. He is 10. Aids can kill. Even with a girl on birth control that will not protect him from Aids. He has to wrap that rascle. He is 10. I will be damned if he dies from Aids like his Uncle because I didn't want to expose him to truth and education. 

Quoting mitty18:

It is ridiculous that you are calling her parents names because they didn't think their 11 year old dd needed to know abut sexual intercourse.

I don't plan on telling my children about sexual intercourse at 11 years old. SMH. People want kids to grow up way to early. My kids will know the basics at that age. THE ONLY thing that they need to know at that age. And yea know what? That doesn't make me stupid, ignorant, or mean i am failing my children. It means i am being their parent and i am deciding on what i think is appropriate for my children. I don't base that on what immature children discuss in the locker room. What they have no business discussing int eh first place IMO. Your way is NOT the only way nor is it the right way for everyone...

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Sex Ed should only be taken after the parents have talked with their children. Me & DD talk very openly about all this kinda stuff.

If is sad that there are parents who do not even care enough to talk to their kids

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM
I agree. My girls are 2 & 5. The 5 year old is very informed on how babies are born. They both know about periods (they follow me into the bathroom constantly so that time of the month they ask questions. I answer) they know it will happen to them.

I vowed a long time ago to arm my kids with every shred of knowledge that I can so they can stay safe and happy.

Quoting Greenstone920:

I can't imagine NOT discussing these topics with my boys. It starts when they're babies. My16 mo knows what his penis is. My 6 yo knew that mommies/girls have vaginas by the time he turned 3. He knows that he and his brother came out through my vagina. He knows about erections, although he luckily doesn't get them as frequently as he used to, and we've talked some about puberty. He doesn't know about actual sex yet, as he never asked how his brother got IN, lol, but I know that's coming, and I'm prepared.

Quoting lga1965:

I agree with this! And your daughter was so sweet to help ths poor girl who was being teased . Yes, parents who don't want their kids to know about sex,reproduction, etc are failing their children. If the schools present these educational sessions, all kids should be able to see them. Its disgusting that some parents are so controlling and uptight that they won't their kids participate. Obviously this girl's Mom has dropped the ball and avoided discussing these things with her at home. And yet she won't let her learn at school. I bet she says "Its MY job to tell my children when they are ready." But they never seem to be ready.  TOO many parents say that. (Some here )Just really stupid since it seems they don't educate them either. And then the kids are humiliated by their lack of knowledge.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:18 PM
*raises hand* I was one. Mormon to boot. Luckily my parents weren't prudes and informed me how my body worked so I knew how not to get pregnant. And MTV taught me about condoms!

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Sex ed needs to be taught BEFORE kids start having sex so they WON'T have sex, or at least will be safe about it.  The preteen years are the perfect time for that, not when they're already in high school and surrounded by temptation and peer pressure.  I can't tell you how many girls I knew in high school who were raised in "a good, Christian home" and "knew" that sex was for marriage, but had sex anyway...

Quoting mitty18:

I highly doubt my kids are going to go out and have sex at 11 years old. Mostly because they'll be supervised and won't be allowed the opportunity to go out and experiment. We plan on raising our children in a good, Christain home. If we succeed they'll know that sex is for after marriage anyways.

Again this is my choice to make as a parent and it does NOT equal ignorance or parenting fail.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Well we were displaced by Hurricane IKE. I went to another town, in the sticks, for a good rent. The owner had animals on the property I was to take care of. My son saw the bull mounting the cow, the miniture horse mounting the mare, the rooster with the flock of hens. Personally I was impressed with the rooster! What a go getter! My son saw sex in a natural way. He also saw birth and death. My son is 10. He knows of sex. He also knows his Uncle Micheal died of Aids. He knows to wrap that rascle. Babies are one thing. Aids is different. He is 10. Aids can kill. Even with a girl on birth control that will not protect him from Aids. He has to wrap that rascle. He is 10. I will be damned if he dies from Aids like his Uncle because I didn't want to expose him to truth and education. 

Quoting mitty18:

It is ridiculous that you are calling her parents names because they didn't think their 11 year old dd needed to know abut sexual intercourse.

I don't plan on telling my children about sexual intercourse at 11 years old. SMH. People want kids to grow up way to early. My kids will know the basics at that age. THE ONLY thing that they need to know at that age. And yea know what? That doesn't make me stupid, ignorant, or mean i am failing my children. It means i am being their parent and i am deciding on what i think is appropriate for my children. I don't base that on what immature children discuss in the locker room. What they have no business discussing int eh first place IMO. Your way is NOT the only way nor is it the right way for everyone...

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

A little OT, but I think your DD was awesome to do what she did for the girl, B.  And I am with you.  I think by that age, she should know about the female body and how things work, she is way too old.  The idea of kids making fun of her isn't really the big reason.  It's the fact that her body is able to have babies, but she doesn't know how it does so.  That lack of knowledge could lead to a much larger embarrassment down the road...like an unplanned, teenage pregnancy.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
nickysmom71
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I would have never put my son in a position like that and think it's really messed up when a parent won't let their kid learn what is a natural part of the human body and bodily function.  

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Wow.  That's really sad (referencing the girl in the OP).  My son is 6 and knows why girls/women have periods.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Yes, the old 'hymens are magic barriers' thing... 

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting LindaClement:

It's worse when the victim of such ignorance has intelligent boyfriends.

My mom was in high school with a woman who was 8mo pregnant and had no idea how how it happened. Her mom had told her that kissing boys made babies, and her boyfriend never kissed her once.

I have a vision of Joseph telling Mary, "Of course you are a virgin, dear.   I'd never deflower you before marriage, that would be wrong.  If you are pregnant, it must have been God who did it."

Bear in mind that Mary was about 14 years old at the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)