Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Factors in deciding whether or not to own a handgun

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine has the hobby of collecting & shooting guns, all kinds. My dd12 & I have been to the range where they are a member to target shoot several of their handguns.

This person has recently offered to gift me a handgun, "for protection."

While I am not opposed to the right of law abiding citizens to own guns, this is N O T a post intended to debate that.

What I am interested in learning is how people came to make the decision to own a personal firearm for protection, or how they came to the decision not to.

This is directed only to those persons who have given the matter serious consideration, no matter what decision was ultimately made.

Thank you!

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I agree with you.  If the man on the ferry had been a man on the street, and had actually put his hands on my baby and somehow managed to wrestle him from my arms I probably would have jumped on him and started biting anything I could get my teeth on, with the intention of ripping flesh off his body.  With a gun I simply would have pulled and fired the moment his hands touched my baby. 

Trust me, I am fully prepared and trained to use various types of firearms.

Quoting LindaClement:

How certain would you have to be, to fire?

A weapon you're not prepared to use (or not trained to use) is your enemy's weapon.

Quoting kailu1835:

I hear you.  I would rather hand over my possessions before shooting someone.  But if that someone was trying to hurt me or my children, I absolutely would shoot to kill.

Quoting Sisteract:

I do not own a weapon. I have thought long and hard about this one- I would have a very difficult time shooting and killing another human being. My kids are grown, and when they were at home we did the following:

Lived in a safe neighborhood.

Avoided known dangerous places.

Installed and utilized a home alarm system- activated every night.

Doors locked at all times.

Owned 3 dogs.

Perhaps we have been lucky, but none of has been a victim of a violent crime.

I would not shoot someone over stealing an item from my home or car...or playing loud music...or giving me the finger...or walking down the street.

babiesbabybaby development

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

It's actually a really good question, and one that should factor into someone's decision to purchase (or be given) a firearm.  Would you be able to use it if the need arose, or would you wimp out?  Or would you use it when you really didn't need to?  (general you)

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting LindaClement:

A weapon you're not prepared to use (or not trained to use) is your enemy's weapon.

Quoting kailu1835:

I hear you.  I would rather hand over my possessions before shooting someone.  But if that someone was trying to hurt me or my children, I absolutely would shoot to kill.

Quoting Sisteract:

I do not own a weapon. I have thought long and hard about this one- I would have a very difficult time shooting and killing another human being. My kids are grown, and when they were at home we did the following:

Owned 3 dogs.

I would not shoot someone over stealing an item from my home or car...or playing loud music...or giving me the finger...or walking down the street.

Excuse me. Debating wasn't my intention for the post. Please reread the request I made in the OP.

babiesbabybaby development

AMBG825
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Well ask yourself this question. If someone was breaking into your house, could you actually shoot them? Would you be able to pull that trigger without hesitation or would your first inclination be to confront them and/or give them a warning? 

If the answer to the first question was not an immediate "yes" without thought then you should get a gun. If the answer to the second was to confront and/or give warning. Don't get a gun. If you answered "no" to the first question or had to sit and think about it before answering, you'd be better off with a dog. 

jah26
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't like guns and would hesitate to use it. Therefore, I am safer without.

jlinville30
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I got one for protective purpose and there have been masssive break-ins where the robbers have had weapons and yes if my house was broken into I would shoot first ask later because you do not know what they will do even if you just hand over your possessions.

LuvmyAiden
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

As a firearms instructor and a woman who believes EVERY person but especially every women should own a gun and know how to use it I will answer as best I can without too much bias. By know how to use it I don't mean ONE class I mean continuous learning and lots of classes and lots learning. Owning and using a gun for defense is not simply about hitting a target at the range. It is about learning situational awareness and knowing when to USE that defensive weapon. Human targets aren't still and they are generally aggressive. Owning a gun is a commitment. Not only because you could hurt yourself or someone else if you are irresposnible but because it can be taken and used against you if you don't know what to do and how to do it if need be.

But the decision to own one comes down to this:

You have the RIGHT to own and train with a firearm for your protection and the protection of those you love. IF you were ever attacked or were faced with a home invasion of some kind and you or someone you love(your kids) were hurt or killed you would KNOW that you could have prevented it. Or at the very least you could have tried. By choosing not to protect yourself and depending on others to do it(the cops) you are putting your life and the lives of your kids in somenone else's hands. You are making yourself powerless. You are choosing to HOPE for protection to arrive when you could have protection at hand. To put it simply if someone hurt my child because I didn't utilize a right that I have as an American I would never forgive myself. That is just me but I feel like that is the question you must ask yourself. The only other important question is to ask yourself if you COULD shoot to kill if need be but I think pretty much all mothers could and would do whatever it takes to protect their kids, that is just instinct.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I NEVER thought I would be someone who would carry a hand gun.  I was afraid of them. Then we had a few wake up calls.

First, some friends of ours had their home broken in to.  It was a nice neighborhood, they had an alarm.  THe attacker forced them to shut off the alarm, terrorized them, and was about to kill them when the wife grabbed a knife and a fight followed.  The attacker died, but our friends were severely injured and traumatized.  
    Then a friend of mine was attacked and raped.

Two weeks later, there were some muggings on campus where I am about to go back to school.

Crime in our city has increased dramatically in the last few years...it really is getting bad, even in the nicer parts of Mobile.  

We bought a shot gun first for home defense.  Dh and I spent about a week discussing getting our CC permits, and hand guns.  We made the choice together to get one.  I'll get mine first, then we will put funds towards his. We don't live in a safe city anymore, and we've known too many people who have recently been victimized by crime.  We can't rely on the local PD to protect us, with their sluggish response times (it's not entirely their fault, I will say that). We have to keep ourselves safe.  

It is not an easy decision, but we're working towards getting mine now. 

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Just a quick shout out to everyone who has shared their decision making process! 

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Frankly, I don't believe I could be safe with a gun.  I have a medical condition that causes spasms, and I frequently injure myself in some way because of those spasms.   Adding a gun into that just seems like a really bad idea.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM

I imagine you with a baby in a sling and a 6-shooter in a holster, tied to your leg :D

Quoting kailu1835:

I agree with you.  If the man on the ferry had been a man on the street, and had actually put his hands on my baby and somehow managed to wrestle him from my arms I probably would have jumped on him and started biting anything I could get my teeth on, with the intention of ripping flesh off his body.  With a gun I simply would have pulled and fired the moment his hands touched my baby. 

Trust me, I am fully prepared and trained to use various types of firearms.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting Sisteract:

Owned 3 dogs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN