Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Factors in deciding whether or not to own a handgun

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine has the hobby of collecting & shooting guns, all kinds. My dd12 & I have been to the range where they are a member to target shoot several of their handguns.

This person has recently offered to gift me a handgun, "for protection."

While I am not opposed to the right of law abiding citizens to own guns, this is N O T a post intended to debate that.

What I am interested in learning is how people came to make the decision to own a personal firearm for protection, or how they came to the decision not to.

This is directed only to those persons who have given the matter serious consideration, no matter what decision was ultimately made.

Thank you!

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Replies (31-40):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

It's my right. That was my deciding factor

*giggles*

smartass!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hahaha!!!  That's totally me!

I have a friend with a crazy ex who has threatened to kidnap her kids (including the ones that aren't his) so she always carries.  It's under her shirt in her waistband, and she can get to it even with a baby backpack on :)

Quoting LindaClement:

I imagine you with a baby in a sling and a 6-shooter in a holster, tied to your leg :D

Quoting kailu1835:

I agree with you.  If the man on the ferry had been a man on the street, and had actually put his hands on my baby and somehow managed to wrestle him from my arms I probably would have jumped on him and started biting anything I could get my teeth on, with the intention of ripping flesh off his body.  With a gun I simply would have pulled and fired the moment his hands touched my baby. 

Trust me, I am fully prepared and trained to use various types of firearms.

Quoting LindaClement:

How certain would you have to be, to fire?

A weapon you're not prepared to use (or not trained to use) is your enemy's weapon.

Quoting kailu1835:

I hear you.  I would rather hand over my possessions before shooting someone.  But if that someone was trying to hurt me or my children, I absolutely would shoot to kill.

Quoting Sisteract:

I do not own a weapon. I have thought long and hard about this one- I would have a very difficult time shooting and killing another human being. My kids are grown, and when they were at home we did the following:

Lived in a safe neighborhood.

Avoided known dangerous places.

Installed and utilized a home alarm system- activated every night.

Doors locked at all times.

Owned 3 dogs.

Perhaps we have been lucky, but none of has been a victim of a violent crime.

I would not shoot someone over stealing an item from my home or car...or playing loud music...or giving me the finger...or walking down the street.

babiesbabybaby development

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM
;-))

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

It's my right. That was my deciding factor

*giggles*

smartass!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM
I played soft ball, so a nice heavy bat is my weapon of choice. You can take very last electronic and penny I have in this house, it can be replaced, but if you get close enough to me or my children for me to hit you with that bat, you're looking to take something I will not give up.

But my husband has a different weapon of choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Sensible...

Quoting kailu1835:

Hahaha!!!  That's totally me!

I have a friend with a crazy ex who has threatened to kidnap her kids (including the ones that aren't his) so she always carries.  It's under her shirt in her waistband, and she can get to it even with a baby backpack on :)

Quoting LindaClement:

I imagine you with a baby in a sling and a 6-shooter in a holster, tied to your leg :D

Quoting kailu1835:

I agree with you.  If the man on the ferry had been a man on the street, and had actually put his hands on my baby and somehow managed to wrestle him from my arms I probably would have jumped on him and started biting anything I could get my teeth on, with the intention of ripping flesh off his body.  With a gun I simply would have pulled and fired the moment his hands touched my baby. 

Trust me, I am fully prepared and trained to use various types of firearms.

Quoting LindaClement:

How certain would you have to be, to fire?

A weapon you're not prepared to use (or not trained to use) is your enemy's weapon.

Quoting kailu1835:

I hear you.  I would rather hand over my possessions before shooting someone.  But if that someone was trying to hurt me or my children, I absolutely would shoot to kill.

Quoting Sisteract:

I do not own a weapon. I have thought long and hard about this one- I would have a very difficult time shooting and killing another human being. My kids are grown, and when they were at home we did the following:

Owned 3 dogs.

I would not shoot someone over stealing an item from my home or car...or playing loud music...or giving me the finger...or walking down the street.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Dh is a cop..we have lots of guns in our home. When we were younger, beginning yrs of our marriage, he wanted to get me a gun for protection when He was away. After thinking and prayer I said NO..it would be too dangerous for dh and my kids. I was such an angry person, prone to jump and do things that were idiotic. I worried I may shoot him in a fit of anger and our kids would be parent-less as I sat in prison! NOW, I am no longer angry, no longer jump before thinking and praying..I have a gun . Too many ppl that dh has arrested and/or put in prison know where we live..

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I read this yesterday and even though I'm normally anti-gun for myself it sort of got me thinking about whether I should re-think that stance.  It got me thinking that maybe gun ownership isn't as bad as I've always thought it to be.

Then last night on the local news they reported a story of a 4 year old getting a hold of the family gun and accidentally shooting his 2 year old brother.  The 2 year old was killed.  The news story reported the gun as being stored "high up in a closet".  This heartbreaking story put me squarely back in the mindset of 'NO guns in my house'.

I'm not going to stand in anyones way of their right to own a firearm.  For me personally, I just can't justify it.  I can't trust that my kids would never, ever get ahold of that gun and I can't justify bringing a dangerous weapon into the household to put them in harms way.  If a burglar breaks in and harms me or my children, it's the burglars fault.  He (or she) is the one that did something wrong and I will do everything in my power to help hunt them down and make sure they face justice.  But if one of my kids is harmed or killed because *I* brought a dangerous weapon into the household - that is something I just could not live with.  That would be my fault and I would have to live the rest of my life knowing that *I* caused my child's death.  I just honestly cannot justify that for me and my family.

That's how my thought process goes any time any inkling of gun ownership enters my mind.

ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM

This covers my own situation, almost exactly.

Quoting Sisteract:

Owned 3 dogs.

Suzukigirl710
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

First of all, we own guns, A LOT OF THEM.  Hand guns, shot guns and assault weapons.  Shot guns and handguns were purchased after myself and hubby were married after about 10 years.  Assault rifles were purchased by him prior to us being together.  (well all but one, which I purchased for him at xmas).  My deciding factor to get my CCL and to carry a weapon:  Myself and my children travel alot in the car without hubby to remote locations, camping etc....  I WILL NOT be unarmed, traveling, just me and my children.  Another reason is my hubby works 16 hour shifts sometimes which leaves us home without him.  Now, we own 2 big German Shepherds, but I do not rely on them to protect us.  Their only job is to "warn" me that there is something going on.  Which they do by barking at everything under the sun.  LOL  My second deciding factor, is when I was a teen, my dad got relocated out of state for his job and only came home on the weekends which left me and my mom alone during the week.  At various times we would find our screens taken out of our windows and screen doors and they were laying on the ground.  Later that same week, our neighbor went out o his garage to take out trash and got confronted by some sleezeball trying to rob him.  My neighbor got stabbed 7 times.  He did survive, but it shook our whole neighborhood up.  Nothing like that had ever happened.  We have guns in the house, under lock and key.  I do carry a gun in my car, but not on my person, usually.  If I am in a bad area, then I would carry concealed on my person.

jlo1313
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I own a handgun and know how to use it and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.  I might give a warning shot, depends on the distance between me and my attacker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN