Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Factors in deciding whether or not to own a handgun

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello everybody,

A friend of mine has the hobby of collecting & shooting guns, all kinds. My dd12 & I have been to the range where they are a member to target shoot several of their handguns.

This person has recently offered to gift me a handgun, "for protection."

While I am not opposed to the right of law abiding citizens to own guns, this is N O T a post intended to debate that.

What I am interested in learning is how people came to make the decision to own a personal firearm for protection, or how they came to the decision not to.

This is directed only to those persons who have given the matter serious consideration, no matter what decision was ultimately made.

Thank you!

by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Replies (41-50):
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM

We will be getting one at tax time. We decided to get one for the home becuase we would rather be able to protect ourselves if someone breaks in then not be able to.

UgtaBkdnMe
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Hand guns are NOT defensive weapons period. People who own them are kidding themselves. What defense? By a shot gun.

Joqui
by Joqui on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I think first and foremost it has to be something you enjoy. Handguns. Yea a lot of people have them for "protection" but I think they rarely have had to pull them out, for the most part all the people I know that own guns are taking them to the gun range to have fun with them. 

I think my deciding factor would be my environment, IF I lived in a particularly dangerous environment I would probably own one by now, but by the grace of whatever higher being is out there I have always lived in a good/nice area. 

The only other deciding factor that would sway me (and has kind of been swaying me) is ... everyone here in TX owns a damn gun just about. Maybe it would be good for me to learn to at least hold one. Silly, but true. 

budes
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Dh is a cop..we have lots of guns in our home. When we were younger, beginning yrs of our marriage, he wanted to get me a gun for protection when He was away. After thinking and prayer I said NO..it would be too dangerous for dh and my kids. I was such an angry person, prone to jump and do things that were idiotic. I worried I may shoot him in a fit of anger and our kids would be parent-less as I sat in prison! NOW, I am no longer angry, no longer jump before thinking and praying..I have a gun . Too many ppl that dh has arrested and/or put in prison know where we live..

This exactly. My best friend was very knowledgeable of guns and gun safety. Her father in law actually taught CHL classes. She and her husband, although a loving a loving couple, were kinda loose cannons. In a drunken fight in July this year she turned the gun on herself. I'm not saying this is you, but you need to consider everyone's mental state and every circumstance as unimaginable as they are. Her husband still owns a gun, as do my husband and I. I can't help but see having one in the house much differently now and struggle with it myself.
mommaoftwo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

When I was four I was involved in a break-in/ attempted murder  (drunk, high uncle, tried to kill my mom and dad)

I sleep with a baseball bat and a knife next to my bed.

DH and I really want to get guns, for protection in situations like that. ( DH goes on travel for work and I am generally a nervous mess)

But also, look at NJ after Sandy, the looters and whatnot, I have my stockpiles for my family, I have learned how to survive without power and whatnot, so that I am prepared. If people know you are prepared and have food/water, when there is a scarcity, you end up a target.

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I was raised around guns. It was never an issue for me not having one in the house. I would rather have a gun and never need it than need one and not have it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Get a gun. With a baseball bat and knife you have to be close to use them at which point they could be taken and used on you.

Quoting mommaoftwo:

When I was four I was involved in a break-in/ attempted murder  (drunk, high uncle, tried to kill my mom and dad)

I sleep with a baseball bat and a knife next to my bed.

DH and I really want to get guns, for protection in situations like that. ( DH goes on travel for work and I am generally a nervous mess)

But also, look at NJ after Sandy, the looters and whatnot, I have my stockpiles for my family, I have learned how to survive without power and whatnot, so that I am prepared. If people know you are prepared and have food/water, when there is a scarcity, you end up a target.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Sure a hand gun is easier to miss with compared to a shotgun. But a handgun is better than a knife. Beside a handgun fits in the purse better than a shotgun.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Hand guns are NOT defensive weapons period. People who own them are kidding themselves. What defense? By a shot gun.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Here is a reason to not buy a gun: Stupid stupid stupid man. Never should have been allowed to buy a gun.I hate people like this stupid man and anyone else who has $hit for brains but owns a gun and will shoot to kill if they have a chance.

READ:

http://www.startribune.com/local/182243551.html?refer=y

4-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his younger brother Wednesday afternoon while playing with their father's handgun in the family's Minneapolis townhouse, police said.

According to police, the 2-year-old victim, identified by family members as Neegnco Xiong, died after his brother discovered the loaded handgun in a bedroom and it discharged while he was handling it.

Paramedics tried to revive Neegnco, but he died in an ambulance at the scene, said Minneapolis police Sgt. William Palmer, who called the shooting "a horrible accident" and a reminder to safely and properly store firearms.

"The Minneapolis Police Department wants to remind everyone who has a firearm in their home that it is their responsibility to lock up firearms to prevent tragic accidents from occurring," Palmer said in a news release.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

?? Huh? I'm pretty sure my handgun would make the person just as dead as your shotgun.

Quoting UgtaBkdnMe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)