Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

To Santa or not to Santa

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM
  • 51 Replies

Do or did you teach your kids about Santa?  Why or why not? how did they handle it when they found out th truth (if they have)?Just curious. I taught mine about Santa. My oldest did fine when he found out that santa isnt real. My youngest is mildly autistic and saw it as me lying to him when he found out. My so doesnt believe in telling children about santa but his ex taught their daughter and he sees it as lying to her.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM
4 moms liked this

it is called christmas spirit it is a fun game that is all people try to make things too seriously 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM

We did not have Santa- our kids were afraid of Santa, so it was easy. All gifts on Christmas came from mom and dad.

mitty18
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

We do Santa. To us Santa is about the magic of Christmas.
One day they'll find out the fat man that comes down the chimeny isn't real. But guess what; the magic he brought IS!!!
There are going to be many many things we as parents lie about. Santa isn't going to damage a child.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

See, Santa (Odin All-Father) is religious .. so while I am not going to teach my son my religious beliefs .. I will tell him about Santa (Secular wise)

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

we do santa(ds is to young right now to understand it but we still do it), me and df love the whole fantasy about waking up on christmas morning to find the cookies have been eaten, the presents under the tree from santa and mom and dad and the stockings filled :) df even promised to dress up as santa one year and make a little "to much noise" to wake our ds up :) its all in fun for us, and its not lying since santa is based off of a real person ;P

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sekirei:

See, Santa (Odin All-Father) is religious .. so while I am not going to teach my son my religious beliefs .. I will tell him about Santa (Secular wise)

santa is based off of many mythical and a few real people, saint nick (where the name santa came from) was a real person. 

this picture explains it better then i do

armyvet06
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM
We do santa. Its fun and when dd gets a little older it will give her christmas cheer when she wakes up on christmas morning and see what the fat man in red gives to her. I grew up believing in him and so will she.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM

We didn't 'teach' our kids about it ... it was all around.

I specifically and intentionally did NOT lie about it (because I watched some nasty fallout from that 'too good an act') ... I answered questions with questions, and noticed their powers of observation, said things like 'what fun' a lot.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM

We are past the Santa stage, thank goodness!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM
We celebrate St Nicholas Day and then tell the story of the real "Santa"... And yes we do the whole "cookies for Santa, presents at night, Hoover noises, etc."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)