Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Right To Evangelize At School?

Posted by   + Show Post

I noticed a new advertisement today, from the Alliance Defending Freedom for Faith and Justice, and I clicked on it to see what it's about.  It's about letting people know their rights regarding faith and public school.  I read the FAQ and according to this group students have the right to pray, read scripture, and EVANGELIZE.

Evangelize is what I want to talk about.  I fully understand that kids are permitted to pray in school, wear religious gear, read holy books, etc.  It's the evangelizing that I question, because it calls into question where one person's right to religious freedom clash with another person's right to religious freedom.  Would you want your non-Christian child to be evangelized by another child at a public school?  I think that crosses the line.

What do you all think?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Replies (371-372):
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Ok. I will chalk this up to your not reading anything I write.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Basically what I'm saying is that kids for the MOST part students are NOT evangelizing at school.  It's not happening to an extent in which it would justify denying students the right to share their RELIGIOUS world view in the SAME way students have the right to share their SECULAR worldviews.  

Seriously first people complain about teachers sharing their religious views saying it's wrong because they are in a position of authority, now people are complaining because some students want to express their religious views even though students hold no authority.  It might help if those complaining would try an be consistent....

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

You disagree with what?  That kids are being influenced by far worse things then religious issues?

I acknowledge a very small amount of issues happen regarding kids sharing their religion at school, but I personally think more often then not, the issue is unfounded or exaggerated in an attempt to make a caricature of Christianity.  If it's repeated enough that the little Tommy's are beating kids up with bibles and telling kids they are going to hell, people will start to believe it's happening at the majority of schools...

While I have no problem with discussing this topic or any other, your OP sounds like it could have been written by the Atheist organization that goes around looking to sue.  They don't really care if they win lawsuits or not, what they are doing is putting out propaganda in an attempt to influence peoples opinions in any negative way they can about religion.

If you read anything I've said, it's almost that I've lived in a bubble, where there isn't religious intrusion in public schools and people get along keeping to themselves or sharing about each other in a non-confrontational way.  I don't live in a place where my children are evangelized in school.  It isn't an issue here.

You see nothing wrong with sharing faith because you think faith is a good thing.  I see nothing wrong with sharing faith as information about another person, but I see something very wrong with witnessing and evangelizing in an attempt to convert others to believe as you do.  I see a world wracked by religious strife, of people actively disavowing science because it doesn't line up with their Biblical beliefs, of people of all different religions fighting and killing each other over belief rooted in the teachings from their holy books and their interpretations of such.

What propaganda was in my original post?  I asked a question.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Sorry I have tried to keep up with what you have wrote in the posts I have responded to.  I fully admit to not having read the entire thread.  

Quoting romalove:

Ok. I will chalk this up to your not reading anything I write.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Basically what I'm saying is that kids for the MOST part students are NOT evangelizing at school.  It's not happening to an extent in which it would justify denying students the right to share their RELIGIOUS world view in the SAME way students have the right to share their SECULAR worldviews.  

Seriously first people complain about teachers sharing their religious views saying it's wrong because they are in a position of authority, now people are complaining because some students want to express their religious views even though students hold no authority.  It might help if those complaining would try an be consistent....

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

You disagree with what?  That kids are being influenced by far worse things then religious issues?

I acknowledge a very small amount of issues happen regarding kids sharing their religion at school, but I personally think more often then not, the issue is unfounded or exaggerated in an attempt to make a caricature of Christianity.  If it's repeated enough that the little Tommy's are beating kids up with bibles and telling kids they are going to hell, people will start to believe it's happening at the majority of schools...

While I have no problem with discussing this topic or any other, your OP sounds like it could have been written by the Atheist organization that goes around looking to sue.  They don't really care if they win lawsuits or not, what they are doing is putting out propaganda in an attempt to influence peoples opinions in any negative way they can about religion.

If you read anything I've said, it's almost that I've lived in a bubble, where there isn't religious intrusion in public schools and people get along keeping to themselves or sharing about each other in a non-confrontational way.  I don't live in a place where my children are evangelized in school.  It isn't an issue here.

You see nothing wrong with sharing faith because you think faith is a good thing.  I see nothing wrong with sharing faith as information about another person, but I see something very wrong with witnessing and evangelizing in an attempt to convert others to believe as you do.  I see a world wracked by religious strife, of people actively disavowing science because it doesn't line up with their Biblical beliefs, of people of all different religions fighting and killing each other over belief rooted in the teachings from their holy books and their interpretations of such.

What propaganda was in my original post?  I asked a question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured