Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is being deaf an excuse for being a crappy parent?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM
  • 52 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you feel that being deaf can affect a person's ability to be a good parent?

Options:

Yes, I think in some cases it can.

No, not at all. You don't need to hear to be a good mom.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 48

View Results

There's a boy in my neighborhood is going down the wrong path. He's only 13 but he smokes, drinks, uses, steals, is in and out of Juvie and of course ditches school constantly. From what the neighbors say, he's been running the streets as long as anyone can remember. Sadly his little sister is fast on his heels.

The reason for this? His mother is deaf. I'm told he takes advantage of her being deaf and does what he wants. My question is how?? She can't hear but that doesn't mean she's stupid. She communicates with her kids just fine (they were signing before they were talking) She can also read lips and speak somewhat clearly with everyone else. So what's the problem?

How does being deaf affect her parenting ability?

ETA She doesn't work but stays at home (SSI?) and their father, also deaf, is out of the picture.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:00 AM

No excuse or reason.

Because I do not know these people and their actual circumstances, I can't really say much else as to her parenting of the kid.

opal10161973
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I knew a lady who was deaf and a great Mom.  So, nope.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:03 AM

That's all I wanted to know.

She may have others issues that I'm not aware of but the main excuse everyone gives for her children's behavior, is her being deaf.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

No excuse or reason.

Because I do not know these people and their actual circumstances, I can't really say much else as to her parenting of the kid.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

SuperChicken
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM
4 moms liked this

So your local gossip says he's a little cretin because his mom is deaf?   How nasty to assume that's the truth.  What is the reason for every other little cretin around?   I also love how you need to mention she doesn't work.   Hello Kettle.  

Got to love nosy neighbors.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I don't assume that's the truth. In fact I don't buy it for a minute. I don't know what her issue is with keeping her kids in line, but being deaf isn't it.

And the reason I mentioned her being a sahm, is that she is home with them all day. She doesn't have the excuse of not being there because of work.

Quoting SuperChicken:

So your local gossip says he's a little cretin because his mom is deaf?   How nasty to assume that's the truth.  What is the reason for every other little cretin around?   I also love how you need to mention she doesn't work.   Hello Kettle.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SuperChicken:

lol

That is funny, but at least she has a husband who works, this other woman does not.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM

No, being deaf is not an excuse for bad parenting.  At 13, the child should be in supervised activities after school.  He should not be "running the streets" as my mom would say.  In fact since he's been in and out of juvie, it sounds like she's not supervising him.  He should be in some sort of school for kids like him that keep a tight leash on the kids with constant supervision and then in some after school study hall as well as something like martial arts to help him burn off steam and learn discipline.   Its sad his mom is unable to step up to the plate and help him.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Quoting paganbaby:

I don't assume that's the truth. In fact I don't buy it for a minute. I don't know what her issue is with keeping her kids in line, but being deaf isn't it.

And the reason I mentioned her being a sahm, is that she is home with them all day. She doesn't have the excuse of not being there because of work.

Quoting SuperChicken:

You would think people would know you well enough by now to realize this.

I don't assume that's the truth. In fact I don't buy it for a minute.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SuperChicken:

I have to agree.

I'm sure some one could come up with some thing about my parenting, the fact I am divorced and work a lot and oh my................the stories that could be told.

I could come up with a few stories of my own, only going off of what some one else has said and perhaps seeing a kid, maybe twice, who seems to be a little twit.  

It is always best not to assume if you do not know the people and the actual situation at hand.  

This reminds me of some of the ladies when I lived on base.  If one dared to do any thing that another took as wrong, incorrect, etc., the stories started and before you knew it, that mom was ignored by all and talked about on a daily basis.  Most times, no one had anything correct but they were certain of their stories. SMH

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." ~ Maya Angelou

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Is she the only one in the neighborhood with out of control children?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)