Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is being deaf an excuse for being a crappy parent?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you feel that being deaf can affect a person's ability to be a good parent?

Options:

Yes, I think in some cases it can.

No, not at all. You don't need to hear to be a good mom.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 48

View Results

There's a boy in my neighborhood is going down the wrong path. He's only 13 but he smokes, drinks, uses, steals, is in and out of Juvie and of course ditches school constantly. From what the neighbors say, he's been running the streets as long as anyone can remember. Sadly his little sister is fast on his heels.

The reason for this? His mother is deaf. I'm told he takes advantage of her being deaf and does what he wants. My question is how?? She can't hear but that doesn't mean she's stupid. She communicates with her kids just fine (they were signing before they were talking) She can also read lips and speak somewhat clearly with everyone else. So what's the problem?

How does being deaf affect her parenting ability?

ETA She doesn't work but stays at home (SSI?) and their father, also deaf, is out of the picture.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Replies (51-52):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I know a couple of deaf parents.  Their kids are very well behaved.  I have known a blind woman and her blind husband for a couple of decades.  Her house is always clean (she does it herself with the help of her son), her son is always dressed appropriately, and acts appropriately.  He's almost 20 now.

A handicap is not an excuse for poor parenting.

Christie825
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I am inclined to say no, but then I think about how many things I just hear going on from another room and I am able to figure out that DD and/or DS are into something they shouldn't be, or talking to each other inappropriately or rough housing. I wouldn't be able to do that if I was deaf. I don't think it makes deaf people bad parents but I do think  they can miss things that we can catch on to. Which might effect a child's behavior later on. This particular case seems to be a little extreme though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured