Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ted Nugent - slaughter social security, Medicare and Medicaid. Welfare recipients lose their right to vote

Posted by   + Show Post

Ted Nugent: 'Slaughter' Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Revoke Voting Rights For Welfare Recipients
Nick Wing | 1 hours ago

Comments (98)
Rocker Ted Nugent apparently still has the keys to an op-ed column over at the Washington Times, which has given him a forum to opine on how to deal with the deficit as lawmakers work to reach an agreement to avert the fiscal cliff.
According to Nugent, the debt and spending problem is so dire that the only way to even begin to address it is to simply engage in the ritual "slaughter" of entitlement programs altogether.
"The three sacred entitlement cows in the room that no politician wants to poke are Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid," Nugent wrote. "A blinding statement of the obvious is that we are never going to get our financial house in order until these sacred entitlement cows are not only poked, but slaughtered."
Nugent argued that instead of raising tax rates on the wealthiest Americans, as many Democrats including President Barack Obama have supported, Congress should hike taxes on everybody -- particularly the poorest 50 percent of Americans, whom Nugent accuses of mooching an "insane free ride."
The next step, wrote Nugent, was to suspend "the right to vote of any American who is on welfare."
"Once they get off welfare and are self-sustaining, they get their right to vote restored," he added.
Nugent ended with an offhand plea to "eliminate voter fraud" by implementing a national voter ID law.
Click over to Nugent's column for that and more extreme recommendations. If you already feel like your head is about to explode, click here for some better ideas on how Washington can responsibly address the deficit.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Replies (531-532):
lga1965
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Oh look what I found on another post--about Ann Couter. Is she the reason some of you have such definite ideas of who should be able to vote and who shouldn't ?   Read what she says ( in red)

• Meet Ann Coulter. In her opinion, "liberals are racists", the French are "a bunch of faggots", only property owners should be allowed to vote, and anyone who disagrees with her is a "fatuous idiot" or "evil". In liberal Europe, such propositions are seldom aired, even in the most right-wing salons. In America, however, Coulter — blonde, fortysomething — is a regular guest commentator on news and talk shows such as Good Morning America, Hannity and Colmes, At Large with Geraldo Rivera and The O'Reilly Factor.
Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Farmlady09:

I can agree with you ~ seriously ~ as far as voting. I'm not really interested in seeing any more of our rights stripped away. Part of the problem so many people can't get out of the rut they're in is because of all of the red tape, the regulations, and the endless ridiculous laws (that do nothing to serve the greater good and were only intended to generate revenue for the money pit government we have ~ even though they were 'sold' as being for the greater good).

Everything in our society today, legally, is geared towards making people nothing but consumers rather than producers. We have cops busting ten year olds for daring to open up a lemonade stand (may as well train them well from the time they start thinking about earning a buck). Farmers who 'dare' to step away from the factory farm machine are hounded by inspectors and new laws and endless regulations (that aren't law, skipped the due process of law, and carry penalties that NO law ever has). 'Cottage' industry requires a 6 figure income if anyone is serious about it, and even planting a garden may very well bring the law down on people ~ in many towns it's a given already.

On the other hand, apathy is the single biggest problem. In my local area I AM very active as far as local politics, local regulations they are trying to shove down our throats, etc. I not only teach people how to live better on far less money, and to be their own producers rather than rely on 'government' or 'agribusiness' or massive 'corporations' ... but to fight against any more of the dregs that our government keeps trying to sell as something new and wonderful.

I try to teach people that the government does not 'care' about them ~ and a good part of my angst against food stamps (and welfare in general) is because I truly do see it as modern day slavery. It's a means of control. The government gives out 'just enough' to keep people floating from month to month, but never enough/or too much to make it worthwhile to get back to a job, or get a better job (although much of welfare is 'sold' as a means of getting to a better place).

Mother who claim fs are humiliating are right ~ they are. It's the government stating that 'you are too stupid to provide for yourself or your child/ren so we'll 'give' you this. After even a short amount of time living that way, a lot of people just give in/give up. Those are the people I feel need the most encouragement ~ or the incentive of anger ~ to get themselves out of that place. More than anything they need at least some direction or idea of how and where to head.

My way isn't the only way, but it works ~ and it's quite a few steps up the ladder from anything the government 'gives' people. I suggest gardening, even one plant at a time, because people can purchase seeds WITH food stamps instead of the little cash that they have. I suggest it because they can use an old dishpan, some free dirt, and 'fix' it with their own veggie scraps/egg shells/coffee grounds to make it into better dirt and grow a tomato plant that gives them lots of tomatoes that they don't have to spend food stamps on. Spices are another thing, and they are expensive ~ but easy to grow.

Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea. As far as my 'standards', they are to better my life in ways that I can do myself, help others around me, and to try and put back more than I take. The idea of making those into a national standard doesn't strike me as bad, just highly improbable. But, I stand by the fact that the more people who have those standards, the better life would be for everyone.

Btw, I absolutely don't think everyone should move to the country lol ~ the people who can/do live in the country need to actually like it. I have no problem telling those who want their McMansion or who are offended by 'farm' stuff (including animals, their noise, or their smell) to absolutely stay in their towns/cities. Country people already have enough to put up with from regulations, AR whackoes, and idiots who think they have some sort of 'right' to tramp through the woods for a walk ... regardless of who owns the woods. I run my piglets (and full grown sows and a boar) through my woods. People who don't know any better would get hurt ... and than think they should sue me because they were stupid and tresspassing. It's ok though, because I would counter-sue them for gross stupidity, tresspass, fees for using my property, AND psych counseling for my pigs *G* Yup, that would make me join the frivolous lawsuit bandwagon with gusto.

I appreciate your response here.

I think, sans the "no voting for PA people" you were talking about earlier, we aren't that far apart in agreeing about many things.

I agree that the government doesn't care about people, and I think most politicians don't either.  I also think that a dollar earned feels better than a dollar unearned.  This is one of the reasons I understand the need for EIC.  Better to have people working as a start, a chance to move up and maybe make more money so they won't need to have that credit, than to tell them working is for fools because if they take a job it will give them less money in their pocket than sitting at home.

At any rate, I'm glad we can reach some common ground.  :-)

p.s.  I am deathly allergic to rabbits but we plant a garden every spring, my husband is Italian and we have tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, basil, zucchini, and peppers till October.

I think so too ~ and I really have no interest in taking away anyone's right to vote. I have learned however, that people usually don't pay much attention to others unless they get royally ticked off first ... or something gets said that they just can't ignore.

That being said, I think that the people who do need their voting to be limited would be the congresscritters. They are the ones that play chess with everyone else's lives, and their only end goals are more power and more money. Unfortunately, they have voted themselves into an untouchable position. All the posturing and fingerpointing they do when one gets caught doing something inappropriate (they all do, but some are a bit more discreet) is just another means to distract the population so they can tighten the thumbscrews another notch.

They keep getting away with it because so many people are apathetic ~ so I poke that with a stick. I don't mind explaining myself (nor am I offended by any who wander off in a permanent huff). I don't have all the answers .... don't think any one person does ... but at least I can offer concrete suggestions and advice for some people. I know that because I do that in RL and have seen the results.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)