Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Distracted Driving

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM
  • 26 Replies

$15 dollar find for EATING while driving...what's next? Should they ban children in the car? LOL 

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/huron-enacting-ban-on-texting-while-driving/?id=140742

Huron Enacting Ban On Texting While DrivingHuron Enacting Ban On Texting While Driving

HURON, SD - 

Huron is the latest city in South Dakota to ban texting while driving.

The ordinance approved by the City Commission on Monday night also encompasses distracted driving. Mayor Dave McGirr says that includes everything from eating pizza to reading a newspaper while driving. The ordinance also bars drivers with learners' permits from talking on a phone while driving.

The ordinance will go into effect sometime around the start of the new year, with police giving motorists a grace period while they become familiar with the new law. The fine for texting while driving will be $100, and the fine for distracted driving $15.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

More worrisome is the almost free hand they are giving police to stop you and pull you over.  Distracted driving is such a nebulous term they can decide they thought you were distracted over almost anything.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I am constantly distracted while driving.  And it usually involves my children.  And when they're not with me, it's my wandering mind.  I'll be constantly fined, I suppose.  I agree with Roma also.  I don't like the free hand it gives police to randomly pull over without "real" reason.

AMBG825
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Well that was a visual I could have done without.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

My previous job involved my driving all over the state of Indiana, with brief trips into Ohio and Kentucky.  I put over 70,000 miles on my car in 2 years.  I now have a job where I stay put, but it is an 1-1/2 hours from my home.... so I do a lot of driving.

I cannot tell you how many near misses I have had because of distracted drivers.  Whether it's someone talking on the phone, texting, daydreaming, or settling a fight in the backseat.... it puts me in danger.

I work in a large hospital with a level one trauma unit.  What is the number one cause for most car accidents?  Someone is not paying attention.  

I don't know if these fines will do anything except generate money for police departments or increase distrust of police, but maybe it will make someone think to wait until she gets to her destination to answer that voicemail or text OR to tell her kids to sit down and keep it down in the backseat - or the car is pulled over until they do.  These simple actions really do save lives.

Think about it again ... what is the cause of most car accidents?  A distracted driver.  

Sherri

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I get it. What I find absurd is that it took texting while driving to get whole communities outraged enough to create laws that try to keep people from being distracted.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Good. I was hit by a woman talking on her cell phone. She blew through 2 red lights and hit my driver's side door so hard it totaled the car, a 2004 Crown Victoria. I was turning left on a green light. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Quoting frogbender:

Good. I was hit by a woman talking on her cell phone. She blew through 2 red lights and hit my driver's side door so hard it totaled the car, a 2004 Crown Victoria. I was turning left on a green light. 

so you'e okay with people being fines for drinking, eating or talking to passengers in their cars?

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Actually, yes, I am. Except for perhaps having a conversation with passengers. Cars are dangerous, even with all of the safety measures that have been added. People have gotten really lazy about driving and doing things that distract them. In fact, I am not against all drivers being required to take a defensive driving course before being allowed to obtain a driver's license.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting frogbender:

so you'e okay with people being fines for drinking, eating or talking to passengers in their cars?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Ya know, I am almost to the point where I am okay with people being fined for eating while driving, carrying on a conversation that is obviously distracting them, and otherwise.  

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Distracted driving is a nebulous term and one person could talk to passengers and be just fine but others may not be.  I don't know what the right solution is.  In Washington it is now illegal to talk on the phone while driving unless it is hands free.  If you are a cop or a first responder then you can talk on the phone while driving in a work vehicle but not while off duty.  This is what is so absurd about some of these laws.  So if a fireman is not distracted while talking on the phone while driving a large vehicle how can he be distracted while driving their personal vehicle?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)