Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sign the petition to stop Toys R' Us from Stereotyping out kids Toys.

Posted by   + Show Post

If you are tired of toys being stereotyped gender specific at Toys R' Us (cleaning/shopping toys for girls, muscle men/computer stuff for boys) than sign this petition!!

CHANGE.ORG

*It doesn't really bother me, but I have to say that at any store (not just T.R.U) it does get frustrating when there isn't a middle ground. Say legos that either have princess' and pastel colors or Monster trucks and Batman.  No just wild jungle animals or regular toy people houses. This is just an example of course. I only posted it in case there are some who really hate gender stereotypes in toys.

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
We should move away from colors being gender specific.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Pink shopping carts rather than yellow shopping carts. I guess.

Quoting Paperfishies:

How are they gender specific?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Egads....forget all the the gender stereotypes that exist for a reason.

What reason is that eactly?

Its marketing. They are marketing specific items to specific genders that have scientifically and historically been proven to have specific leanings towards certain types of entertainment. That's not saying they don't mix it up, but stereotypes exist for a reason. There are truths to them. Changing a flyer for a store isn't going to have the least effect on which toys children prefer.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I'm not throwing petitions at private businesses, so I'll pass. If you don't like the way TRU does things, the much simpler way to handle it would be to stop buying from them.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care how Toys R Us arranges their stores or chooses their products.  

Every company gets to choose how they do that.

Either buy from them or don't.

Aivlys_
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I don't see what the big deal is....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

True True! It shouldn't come off as rude or embarrassing to ask if it's a boy or girl. My dd was wearing her brothers hand me down camo coat, with her pink pants showing from underneath and people just assumed she was a boy because she was in camo. ? 

Quoting Paperfishies:

We should move away from colors being gender specific.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Pink shopping carts rather than yellow shopping carts. I guess.

Quoting Paperfishies:

How are they gender specific?

olivejuice2
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I might be the odd one out here, but I get disgusted when I go to the toy section in stores and see a wall of pink sparkles and princesses and another wall of bold colored trucks and army toys. I have no problem with letting kids choose the toys they want to play with, but I wish there were more gender neutral options. I want regular colored legos and blue "girl" toys and pink "boy" toys. I want my daughter to be able to find girl toys that aren't pink and princess. I certainly won't ban pink or princess, but I will encourage a variety of color choices and character types.

It may seem arbitrary to adults, but kids are vulnerable to social pressure from outside the family. It is important to me that my daughter does not internalize some of the gender stereotypes found in toys and marketing. About 10 years ago a friend of mine found a barbie doll that "spoke" phrases like "math is hard" and "lets go shopping". I was shocked that such a toy would be sold en mass in the 21st century. I want to do what I can to protect my daughter from that kind of damaging message.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Egads....forget all the the gender stereotypes that exist for a reason.

What reason is that eactly?

http://people.uncw.edu/hungerforda/Infancy/PDF/Children's%20gender-based%20reasoning%20about%20toys.pdf

Children's Gender-Based Reasoning about Toys

Children's Toy Choices decisions about what they want to play with.

A consistent finding in the developmental literature is that children prefer toys traditionally stereotyped for their own sex more than toys stereotyped for the other sex. Sex-typed toy preferences have been apparent in studies of children's play (Eisenberg, Murray, & Hite, 1982; Fein, Johnson, Stork, & Wasserman, 1975; Goldman, Smith, & Keller, 1982), and when children have been asked to select favorite toys for themselves or for others (Bradbard, 1985; Bradbard & Parkman, 1983; Goldman et al., Robinson & Morris, 1986; Ross & Ross, 1972).

http://www.indiana.edu/~cogdev/labwork/toychoice.pdf

Although there is an abundance of studies on sex differences, the debate is still hot concerning which differences are replicable and what the contribution from culture versus biology is. One area where sex differences have most convincingly been demonstrated concerns play behavior and, in particular, play with sex-stereotyped toys (Maccoby & Jacklin, 1974). Studies within this area have demonstrated that preschool girls and boys prefer toys that are stereotyped for their own sex and, thus, that girls and boys differ in the amount of time they play with these toys (Caldera et al., 1989; Berenbaum & Hines, 1992; Hines & Kaufman, 1994; Robinson & Morris, 1986). Girls usually play more with dolls, tea and kitchen sets, and dressingups, while boys prefer construction and transportation toys (Hines & Kaufman, 1994)

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I couldn't care less.
tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM

chills folks, chill.

I like Toys 'r Us because they have that whole "toys for differently abled children" catalog that tells you the best toys for your child with a disability.  I don't really care anymore (i used to) that toys are gender specific, i'll buy a pink blender for my son if he wants one.  i'm buying my son an easy bake oven because he loves to help me cook and pretend like he is cooking.  it's purple and geared towards girls, but he doesn't care and neither do i.  my grandma bought my son that kenmore wooden fridge and she is thinking about painting it if she can, it's pink, but i don't care and neither does the kid....but if she can paint it, that's cool too.  i ain't buying it, so i don't care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)