Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Real life discussions on religion

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM
  • 115 Replies
We all know religious discussions get VERY intense in this group. My question is: how do religious discussions in your real life usually play out?

Do you have them? If you do, is it just with people of your own faith? Other faiths? Do they get heated? Or do they stay calm and rational?

When you do have them, is it an attempt to convert someone to your faith (or non)? Or is it just an honest curiosity about other beliefs?

Also, are you currently the same faith/religion you were as a child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in Texas.. I do not discuss my religion here, for my own safety.

With my dad, he makes jokes and I ignore him.. the rest of my family are all right and we have pretty lively discussions... nothing bad or heated.. :D

No, I do not attempt to convert.. that is not my place.. I dare not think I have the authority of a god.. (besides, Loki enjoys doing that himself hahahahaha)

No, I am not the same faith .. I was raised and baptized Catholic... turned to Kemetic Orthodoxy soon after.. found that it was actually Loki fucking with me and now I have complete..peace.. in a sense. After all, when does one who worships Loki want complete peace?? LOL

SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I have religious discussions with my co-workers almost daily.  I'm the only non-Mormon in my office.  They're interesting and never arugumentative.  I enjoy discussing my faith and learning about other's.  I've never had a conversation about religion get as heated as it does in here.   And we don't attempt to convert each other ; just clear the air.  I'm not the same faith as I was as a child. 

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

Bitterroot
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I have discussions nearly daily.  People know me by my strong faith in Christ, and they often come to me with questions or discussion.

More often than not, someone who is not a believer and won't even discuss the Lord or God will come to me the moment there is crises in their family (illness or death) and ask me to pray.

Hmmmmmm...

Oh, and yes, I am the same faith as I was raised.  After 16 years of marriage, my husband finally had a radical life change and believes now, and all 3 of my children do, as well.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I just don't have them.  I mean, I have them with my kids, mostly if they ask questions, which now is relegated mostly to my youngest.  She has a fascination with Islam and Islamic culture.  She also borrowed a Bible from her best friend to read to see what it's about.  With friends, we rarely talk about religion.  I have one friend who has had many trials in life lately, and we have talked about God and what that means to her, and what I think of it, and why, but there is never any animosity, no one tries to convert anyone else, everyone gets along.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm pretty laid back about it all, so I'd never be in an arguement with anyone about their choice, or lack of religion. Not sure how to answer the question about 'same religion as when a child'. I was brought up Catholic. I'm Irish. Trying to get rid of the Catholic is like trying to get rid of the Irish. It sort of sticks. I'm okay with it.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM
I rarely discuss religion with anybody but do not mind doing so, if the occasion arises.

No, I do not follow the faith in which I was raised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by Punky on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM
I can definitely understand not wanting to broadcast your path in Texas. I didn't start walking a Pagan path until a little over a year ago which was long after I'd left the Deep South. And I haven't had a discussion about my changed religion with my friends who still live there. If that conversation ever happens I expect my best friend's husband may freak out just a tad bit. He wasn't a fan of my visible tattoos when they were here in April.

Quoting Sekirei:

With my dad, he makes jokes and I ignore him.. the rest of my family are all right and we have pretty lively discussions... nothing bad or heated.. :D

No, I do not attempt to convert.. that is not my place.. I dare not think I have the authority of a god.. (besides, Loki enjoys doing that himself hahahahaha)

No, I am not the same faith .. I was raised and baptized Catholic... turned to Kemetic Orthodoxy soon after.. found that it was actually Loki fucking with me and now I have complete..peace.. in a sense. After all, when does one who worships Loki want complete peace?? LOL

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

My neighbor in Hawaii was from Oklahoma... she kept asking what was going to happen when I found Jesus again after I got my tattoo of the Urnes Snake

I generally wear a sweater off post... and I can't wait to leave here, because i am going to be HOT during the summer

Quoting punky3175:

I can definitely understand not wanting to broadcast your path in Texas. I didn't start walking a Pagan path until a little over a year ago which was long after I'd left the Deep South. And I haven't had a discussion about my changed religion with my friends who still live there. If that conversation ever happens I expect my best friend's husband may freak out just a tad bit. He wasn't a fan of my visible tattoos when they were here in April.

Quoting Sekirei:

katy_kay08
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I avoid them much like I do here.  If I do have them they are usually me listening to others explain their faith to me while I stay very quiet about my opinion.  

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Very few people would care in the major cities.

Quoting Sekirei:

My neighbor in Hawaii was from Oklahoma... she kept asking what was going to happen when I found Jesus again after I got my tattoo of the Urnes Snake

I generally wear a sweater off post... and I can't wait to leave here, because i am going to be HOT during the summer

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Sekirei:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)