Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nicer online or in real life

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM
  • 59 Replies
So in the religious discussions thread a responder mentioned that discussions get more heated online because people can hide behind a screen name. My question is: are you nicer online or in person?

Do you feel like you can get away with being more honest here (which some may interpret as 'mean') than you can in your real life? Or do you feel more comfortable letting your 'mean girl' out to play because you can hide behind a screen name?

I'm mobile so I can't create a poll. Sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM
5 moms liked this

I am who I am whether online or in real life.  What you see is what you get.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I'm definitely nicer online, you really don't want to piss me off irl.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Nicer in real life. But l like pretty much everybody I know in real life. I'd probably like everybody here as well, as I suspect they are also nicer in real life. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I'll jump in!  I get mixed reviews.  Some people think I am too blunt in person, and online as well, I believe.  I have had a few people say I am rude online.  I say the same stuff but in person you people can read my facial expressions and hear tone, so I think I come off nicer in person, but more because I am usually smiling when being sarcastic, and you can't see my face when I type.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm the same both ways. Whether it's nice or not so nice, I try to be diplomatic and honest with my views. 

punky3175
by Punky on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM
This one is really hard for me to answer. In the other thread I stated I was nicer online and that is because people can not read facial expressions. In real life I probably don't say as much but it's written all over my face and in my body language. I am very blunt (in person and online) and some people don't know how to take it.

Online I do try to watch how I word things so it's obvious whether I am or am not trying to 'attack' someone (which is a rare occasion because I do realize there are people behind these screen names and I really do not like being 'mean').

In real life most people can look at me and tell what I'm thinking. I'm told I have a very expressive face which keeps my friend highly entertained when I'm acting goofy...or trying to ice skate for the first time in 20 years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm just as opinionated in person if a topic comes up, but not every conversation is some hot topic.

It is harder though because I like to be able to present my full opinion and have a real conversation, but some people like to dominate the conversation and cut you off midsentence before you can get your full point out so they can go on their long winded retort and you can never get back to the original point because it ends up on some other tangent. Not like on the forums where you type an entire post for people to read.
katy_kay08
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm probably nicer in person, primarily because the people I talk to in real life are people I enjoy being around and genuinely respect.   

I am direct in real life.  

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I am actually really nice in real life.  I would just about anything to help anyone.  :)

I am friends with alot of you in another group, and I have to say, I think its the topics and varying views on the topics that make one mom think another mom isn't nice.  

IRL I try to put a postive spin on things, and can usually turn a con into a pro.  My friends and family call me to cheer them up or to get a different prospective.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Regarding CE&HT, I don't engage in the types of conversations/ interactions in IRL as i do on CM. I'm pretty introverted so i don't engage in large group conversations or share my personal opinion that often...plus i am very impulsive and have a bad social filter so it's easier for me to avoid the conversation than to be constantly offending people or making myself look like an idiot.

Parenting issues and stuff...exactly the same. I teach parenting classes and manage a parenting/child abuse prevention program so that stuff spills out of my mouth without even having to think. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured