Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Church Calls Off ‘Charlie Brown’ Christmas Show Amid Controversy

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM
  • 169 Replies

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (CBS Charlotte) - A church caught at the center of a controversy regarding a school trip to see their production of “Merry Christmas Charlie Brown” has decided to cancel the show.

The Agape Church in Little Rock, which had initially intended to present the show to school children on Dec. 14, released a statement to KATV regarding their decision, signed by Pastor Happy Caldwell.

“[B]ecause of what this issue has become, as a church, it is not our desire to put hard-working, sacrificial teachers and cast members in harm’s way,” the release stated.

Instead of matinees for school children, a public performance will be offered at the church on Dec. 15.

The trouble reportedly stemmed from an invitation to first and second grade students at Terry Elementary School to see the Christmas production.

“Merry Christmas Charlie Brown” is the stage adaptation of the classic 1965 Peanuts cartoon, “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” The source material includes a retelling of the Nativity story from the Gospel of Luke, which is told by the character Linus in an iconic scene from the movie.

A parent who felt the trip was inappropriate reached out to the ASF to voice her concern with the show’s religious connotations, which reportedly differed from her own, the station learned.

From there, a campaign was launched to cancel the class trip.

“We’re not waging a war,” LeeWood Thomas, a spokesman for the group, told KATV. “We’re basically calling a foul against the separation of church and state.”

The organization took offense to both a planned field trip to a church with religious affiliation, and to a school-sanctioned presentation of religious material, the station additionally reported.

Representatives of the Little Rock School District had planned to go ahead with the trip before news of the show’s cancellation broke.

“The teachers wanted to provide a cultural opportunity through a holiday production and are supported by the superintendent and the principal,” said school district spokesperson Pamela Smith was quoted as saying to KATV. “The school district does not support or promote religious affiliations.”

In their release regarding the termination of the Friday showing, the church thanked the school for its intentions.

“In the wake of some controversy over our Christmas production offered to schools, Agape Church wishes to salute the courageous stand that the Terry Elementary Principal made in not succumbing to the pressure of one complaint voiced to the Arkansas Society of Free Thinkers and media,” Caldwell said in the release, according to the station. ”We applaud the support that the Little Rock School District has shown … and agree with their position that attending the matinees was not a constitutional issue.”

source

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3lilladies81
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM
*sigh*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay...come on, that is a little over the top.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
That is ridiculous. Don't send you child in the trip .
Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

How sad.   

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:19 AM
As a non Christian who enjoys the season I can say that is Ridiculous. If you don't like the content don't send your child. It's really very simple why ruin it for others
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:21 AM
5 moms liked this

I wonder how many people Charlie Brown has converted over the years.....how many churches established....

IhartU
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Well, field trips such as this have no place in Public Schools- that production IS religious. If you want your child to see it, the YOU take them.

I don't think the program should have been cancelled though- that's a little absurd IMO.

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That is ridiculous. Don't send you child in the trip .

I would send my child on the trip.  I wouldn't have the issue.

But I was mulling over this one a bit.  My initial reaction was, this is nitpicking.  My next thought was well....it's a Christmas production done by a church, is that really appropriate for a mixed religious group of public school children, who are supposed to be getting a secular education?  My next thought was about Book of Mormon, which is currently on Broadway (I am blessed to live close enough to Manhattan that the schools will occasionally do Broadway trips).  Would that be appropriate?  Book of Mormon makes fun of a religion, but isn't religious in and of itself and is done by a non-religious theater group.  Would that be appropriate?

Then I saw your comment about "don't send your child on the trip".  You kind of clarified it for me.

If this trip would make people who aren't Christian uncomfortable to send their child, then likely the trip shouldn't be scheduled.

And Book of Mormon should be off the list for school trips as well.

poietes
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Sigh, if you dont want your child to go then dont sign the permission slip. Why make the other kids suffer because you dont want your child to experence different beliefs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:26 AM

But then they wouldn't be able to make a huge stink about it.

Quoting poietes:

Sigh, if you dont want your child to go then dont sign the permission slip. Why make the other kids suffer because you dont want your child to experence different beliefs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN