Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

To those who hate on people who get public assistance

Posted by   + Show Post

Why do you want to treat the poor like petrified dog shit? Have you ever even used food stamps? Do you even know how damn humiliating it is to know you can't support yourself and your child and have to depend on others to survive?

I was a single parent (and before you go off saying it was my choice- I was date raped and decided to keep my baby- I can admit that after 20 years now) and after serving in the Army, I worked 40-50 hours a week at a retail job. It paid so little that I qualified for subsidized daycare, food stamps and a medical card for my daughter. I wasn't a lazy good for nothing, I worked my ass off. In fact, I walked 30 blocks to drop her off at day care no matter what the weather was- rain, blizzard, then walked 30 blocks back down the street to get on the bus and then did the same thing after work. Sure, I would have been easier to just sit on my ass and collect cash assistance as well, but I didn't- because I have work ethic as do many poor people.

You have no damn idea how much having to take government help made me feel like a failure as a human being and a mother. There were many times I was glared at, called 'lazy bitch' and made to feel like crap while paying for my food with foodstamps- and this was when they were actual paper, not a card so there was no hiding the fact I was using them.

This one time, I was paying for my groceries and included were a cake mix, frosting and ice cream to make a cake for my daughters birthday (she was right there with me) when this old lady behind me told me- VERY loudly that I should be a contributing member of society, stop be so lazy, get a job and stop 'mooching off her tax dollars' and she then told me I had no right buying what I was because it wasn't 'real food'. I stood there crying, my daughter clinging to me looking up at me afraid, and even the cashier was looking at me like she felt sorry for me.

I had to stand in the cold and wait for a cab with my daughter asking me questions, both of us crying and me feeling even more humiliated then ever before.

Until you have been in my shoes, you have damn right to place asinine rules about what poor people HAVE to buy with your precious tax dollars because you have some superiority complex. What you should be feeling is warmth knowing you're helping out human being who are less fortunate in life than you are. Believe it or not, poor people understand that junk food is unhealthy but they too deserve a treat once in a while to give them some happiness. 

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM
Replies (101-110):
candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I believe a lot of it is determined by lobbying.   Everyone wants a piece of that multi billion dollar food stamp action.   I really don't think it will be too long before you see them being taken into fast food restaurants.    We are already seeing that in some cities with the homeless.

One example of this below.

source

Quoting Joqui:

I don't understand the alienation... them... us ... but that's not the point ;-)

I think it should be up to the individual to budget their food stamps and spend them how they see fit.  I do find it ridiculous that the system will allow to buy a cake from the bakery but not a rotisserie chicken -- I guess my issue is with the system itself and not with the people.  

Human beings will always find a way to abuse or manipulate, it is in our nature. But the system should at least attempt at being a better judge of what it will cover and what it won't.  

Quoting candlegal:

It is ridiculous but it is done all the time.  At least the rotesserie chicken is healthy but expensive.   I don't have a problem with them having to cook their own chicken just as they should bake their own cakes.

Quoting Joqui:

That's ridiculous. 

I would much rather have the FS money spent on the ready made foods then on a damn cake, but what do I know... I'm just a person LOL

Quoting candlegal:

This time you are wrong, you can get ready made cakes.   Believe me the first time I answered the phone in the bakery and someone asked me if they could get a birthday cake with FS, i told them no.   I asked my manager before I hung up and she said, oh yes you can.

They cannot get any of the ready made foods out of the deli, such as roterrerie chicken, mashed potatoes and such, but they can get birthday cakes.  Call you local HEB and ask for the bakery and ask them if you can pay for a birthday cake with FS and see what they tell you.

They buy sushi all the time with them also.

Quoting Joqui:

candle I may be wrong but I don't think you can buy one of the ready made cakes from the grocery store with the FS card, I know for sure it won't cover any of the fried chicken or ready made mashed potatoes etc. At least not in Houston. Nothing that is fully cooked ... maybe the rotisserie chicken but any thing else that is fully cooked already FS here in Houston, TX won't cover it... 

Quoting candlegal:

that isn't one that many people get but many do get the $25 and $30 ones.   I just think they should make their own.

Kudos to you.   I agree that people should be able to volunteer and do something to earn them.   I am not talking about the 80 year old woman that needs fs to survive.

I don't have a problem with people that need fs, I don't have a problem with people that need help once in a while, it is the lifers and the abusers I have a problem with.  I also don't think they should be able to buy a bunch of junk food with them.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

$50 for a birthday cake wow, that is totally expensive. I just bought a cake for $8 it was a very nice one(I was helping my mother, she couldn't get to the store. I used her money). I do agree make a cake from scratch, I do this when I am on fs or not.

We have a program in our community, it is free for everyone no matter if they are on fs or not. It teaches people how to shop and make things from scratch. When they cut money, they almost cut the program. I volunteer to take it over for nothing. Right now we get fs, but thy lady I work with told me I should sign up for fs, for payment for teaching the class. I think it is a good trade. I also think that people should volunteer at least 10 hours a wk if they get fs and not working a job. That can mean many different things like voluteer at your kids school, or help at a soup kitchen. I also do both of those. I do this if I am working or not, it just depends on how many hours I can voluteer if I work.

Quoting candlegal:

Actually I would rather see someone buy the ingredients to make a birthday cake, what is that, about maybe $5.00 vs. going over to the bakery and ordering a cake for $30. or $50. which can also be bought with a foodstamp card.   Make your own cake, don't expect taxpayers to pay for your $50.  birthday cake.  There is no way this should be allowed but it is.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Are you disagreeing that most conservatives are Pro-Life? Or are you disagreeing that most conservatives look down on people who use PA?

I am not saying everyone that is Pro life is conservative. And I am not saying everyone who is conservative is Pro Life.

Did you see me say, that I was right about you? And that you are lying? No.

I am saying that most likely someone who is Conservative/prolife and looks down on PA will come into this topic. So I am going to leave this post like this. And I will do the same in the future.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Oh I see. You like making generalizations about what kind of people think what ways and even when your assumption fails are pointed out to you, you stick to your stereotypes because "they're usually right" M'kay!

Quoting brookiecookie87:

No-Next time I will say the same thing. Because it is normally the conservative/ Pro Lifer that makes that assertion. And there is a chance they will see my post so it is not like there is not a point to it being out there.

You are the first Pro-Choice person I have seen with that opinion.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Well I suggest next time you leave out your assumptions.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I thought I was. Next time I see someone post something like you just did I wll.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

So go quote them.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Nice try?

It's still a solid and true statement. It might not apply to you but it still applies to nearly every conservative pro-choice person who will say the same thing you just said. Which will be most people who come in this topic with your stance.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Yeah, I'm not a conservative and I'm pro -choice, but nice try. I'm just sick of people whining about having limitations on their hand outs.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

This thought process always astounds me.

Conservatives who are against Abortions (Pro Life) and try to establish laws that hinder people from making the choice and if they can take that choice away entirely. And then when someone has the baby they are like, "Now we want you to have the bare minimum for that baby and his/her life".

I am sure they could cut spending down to just rice and beans as well. and maybe setup slums like they have in other countries and shove these people in little box like houses.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

You haven't changed my mind one bit. I'm sure you could have come up with $3 for cake mix and frosting on your own. You should be happy you got any help at all. You made the choice to continue your pregnancy. You made the choice to keep your baby. Seems to me that the temporary humiliation that you suffered made you a stronger person.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM
The "us" that she's making generalizations about, the people who think FS should work like WIC to ensure that children's basic nutritional needs are met first.
And I didn't know I needed to make daily appearances here to have an opinion. I do have a full time job y'know.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm quite active in this group. I didn't just come on in. What "us"? Just you, unless you have DID (dissociative identity disorder)! I was supporting IhartU, whom I called only you out for judging. I know you've been on CM awhile, but haven't seen you in this group much.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

The irony! She's the one coming in here judging us!

Quoting Bookwormy:

Seems you could use some permanent humility. What's wrong with you? Judge much? Actually this is well beyond judgement.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

You haven't changed my mind one bit. I'm sure you could have come up with $3 for cake mix and frosting on your own. You should be happy you got any help at all. You made the choice to continue your pregnancy. You made the choice to keep your baby. Seems to me that the temporary humiliation that you suffered made you a stronger person.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM
I wanna know how they do that!!!

Cuz I dont get a tax cut.....I had to pay in last year cuz I was on fs!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I don't hate food stamps. I just don't think you should be able to get food stamps AND a huge tax credit every year. One or the other.

I don't sit and watch how other people pay for their groceries at the store, and I've never seen any of these situations that people post about on here about people who use their food stamps being accosted in line and humiliated. 

ihave1
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I hate fucking bitches that do that.  Yes I get it "most" people abuse the system.  Hell you dont know everything about every body who is on FS so stfu!!  I feel you OP I would have let that fucking old bitch have it.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Quoting jessilin0113:

I dont get the big deal. They are given basically a cash award based on their income. Your tax contribution wouldn't change regardless of whether they are buying soda or milk. So what's it to you? Are you wanting in on some of that sweet poverty? Regretting the paycheck that allows you to not have to depend on others? Poor you.

And let's not forget that cash assistance and child support are often on the same card, so they my not be using your $2 tax contribution to pay for an effing cake. Get over yourselves.

That's funny.

Except, that we are all headed for that sweet poverty, the current Government is determined to make people equal. The problem is that Government doesn't make people equal by making everyone rich, it simply makes everyone poor.

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Wow you sure are adament about defending your failed assumptions.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Are you disagreeing that most conservatives are Pro-Life? Or are you disagreeing that most conservatives look down on people who use PA?

I am not saying everyone that is Pro life is conservative. And I am not saying everyone who is conservative is Pro Life.

Did you see me say, that I was right about you? And that you are lying? No.

I am saying that most likely someone who is Conservative/prolife and looks down on PA will come into this topic. So I am going to leave this post like this. And I will do the same in the future.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Oh I see. You like making generalizations about what kind of people think what ways and even when your assumption fails are pointed out to you, you stick to your stereotypes because "they're usually right" M'kay!

Quoting brookiecookie87:

No-Next time I will say the same thing. Because it is normally the conservative/ Pro Lifer that makes that assertion. And there is a chance they will see my post so it is not like there is not a point to it being out there.

You are the first Pro-Choice person I have seen with that opinion.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Well I suggest next time you leave out your assumptions.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I thought I was. Next time I see someone post something like you just did I wll.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

So go quote them.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Nice try?

It's still a solid and true statement. It might not apply to you but it still applies to nearly every conservative pro-choice person who will say the same thing you just said. Which will be most people who come in this topic with your stance.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Yeah, I'm not a conservative and I'm pro -choice, but nice try. I'm just sick of people whining about having limitations on their hand outs.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

This thought process always astounds me.

Conservatives who are against Abortions (Pro Life) and try to establish laws that hinder people from making the choice and if they can take that choice away entirely. And then when someone has the baby they are like, "Now we want you to have the bare minimum for that baby and his/her life".

I am sure they could cut spending down to just rice and beans as well. and maybe setup slums like they have in other countries and shove these people in little box like houses.

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM
It is here! At subway and at a McDonalds!!!!!

Wtf can you buy at mcds on fs? Cuz you cant buy hot food.

I told the ine guy at subway it was disgusting and they needed to talk to store owner about that!

Quoting candlegal:

I believe a lot of it is determined by lobbying.   Everyone wants a piece of that multi billion dollar food stamp action.   I really don't think it will be too long before you see them being taken into fast food restaurants.    We are already seeing that in some cities with the homeless.

source

Quoting Joqui:

I don't understand the alienation... them... us ... but that's not the point ;-)

I think it should be up to the individual to budget their food stamps and spend them how they see fit.  I do find it ridiculous that the system will allow to buy a cake from the bakery but not a rotisserie chicken -- I guess my issue is with the system itself and not with the people.  

Human beings will always find a way to abuse or manipulate, it is in our nature. But the system should at least attempt at being a better judge of what it will cover and what it won't.  

Quoting candlegal:

It is ridiculous but it is done all the time.  At least the rotesserie chicken is healthy but expensive.   I don't have a problem with them having to cook their own chicken just as they should bake their own cakes.

Quoting Joqui:

That's ridiculous. 

I would much rather have the FS money spent on the ready made foods then on a damn cake, but what do I know... I'm just a person LOL

Quoting candlegal:

This time you are wrong, you can get ready made cakes.   Believe me the first time I answered the phone in the bakery and someone asked me if they could get a birthday cake with FS, i told them no.   I asked my manager before I hung up and she said, oh yes you can.

They cannot get any of the ready made foods out of the deli, such as roterrerie chicken, mashed potatoes and such, but they can get birthday cakes.  Call you local HEB and ask for the bakery and ask them if you can pay for a birthday cake with FS and see what they tell you.

Quoting Joqui:

candle I may be wrong but I don't think you can buy one of the ready made cakes from the grocery store with the FS card, I know for sure it won't cover any of the fried chicken or ready made mashed potatoes etc. At least not in Houston. Nothing that is fully cooked ... maybe the rotisserie chicken but any thing else that is fully cooked already FS here in Houston, TX won't cover it... 

Quoting candlegal:

that isn't one that many people get but many do get the $25 and $30 ones.   I just think they should make their own.

Kudos to you.   I agree that people should be able to volunteer and do something to earn them.   I am not talking about the 80 year old woman that needs fs to survive.

I don't have a problem with people that need fs, I don't have a problem with people that need help once in a while, it is the lifers and the abusers I have a problem with.  I also don't think they should be able to buy a bunch of junk food with them.

Quoting 1Giovanni:

$50 for a birthday cake wow, that is totally expensive. I just bought a cake for $8 it was a very nice one(I was helping my mother, she couldn't get to the store. I used her money). I do agree make a cake from scratch, I do this when I am on fs or not.

We have a program in our community, it is free for everyone no matter if they are on fs or not. It teaches people how to shop and make things from scratch. When they cut money, they almost cut the program. I volunteer to take it over for nothing. Right now we get fs, but thy lady I work with told me I should sign up for fs, for payment for teaching the class. I think it is a good trade. I also think that people should volunteer at least 10 hours a wk if they get fs and not working a job. That can mean many different things like voluteer at your kids school, or help at a soup kitchen. I also do both of those. I do this if I am working or not, it just depends on how many hours I can voluteer if I work.

Quoting candlegal:

Actually I would rather see someone buy the ingredients to make a birthday cake, what is that, about maybe $5.00 vs. going over to the bakery and ordering a cake for $30. or $50. which can also be bought with a foodstamp card.   Make your own cake, don't expect taxpayers to pay for your $50.  birthday cake.  There is no way this should be allowed but it is.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

that is what pa is for to help people in your situation to make ends meet.. I am sorry people have treated you bad, but just know most only hear about the abusers of the system not the ones that really need it

candlegal
by Judy on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I am not the least bit surprised.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

It is here! At subway and at a McDonalds!!!!!

Wtf can you buy at mcds on fs? Cuz you cant buy hot food.

I told the ine guy at subway it was disgusting and they needed to talk to store owner about that!

Quoting candlegal:

source

Quoting Joqui:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Joqui:

That's ridiculous. 

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting Joqui:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting 1Giovanni:

Quoting candlegal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)