Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Racist' Sorority Photo Is Sad Reminder That Ignorance Is Everywhere - Are you shocked that students would think this was okay?

Posted by   + Show Post

'Racist' Sorority Photo Is Sad Reminder That Ignorance Is Everywhere

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on December 6, 2012

sombreroThere's really little use debating if the photo currently under fire from a Penn State Mexican-themed sorority party is offensive. It is, without a doubt.

In a picture from the party, members of the Chi Omega sorority are seen dressed in ponchos, sombreros, and fake mustaches. That alone is questionable to some, but the signs they were holding were undeniably outrageous. One read: "Will mow lawn for weed + beer" and the other: "I don't cut grass, I smoke it." No wonder the picture has caused an uproar and cries of racism, both on campus and across the Internet.

Really, how could they have ever thought this was okay?

Vice President of the Mexican American Student Association, Cesar Sanchez Lopez, made some good points when he told Onward State:

"The Mexican American Student Association is disappointed in the attire chosen by this sorority. It in no way represents our culture," Lopez said in a statement. "Not only have they chosen to stereotype our culture with serapes and sombreros, but the insinuation about drug usage makes this image more offensive. Our country is plagued by a drug war that has led to the death of an estimated 50,000 people, which is nothing to be joked about."

The sorority has issued an apology, and the school's Panhellenic Council and the sorority's national headquarters are investigating. But it should have never happened. These young women should have known better, and I hope that I'm raising my kids to know why things like this aren't okay, even if it's in the name of fun.

While I'm shocked by this behavior, I have no doubts that racism is alive and not-so-well in this country. We've come a long way, but there is still much hate out there, much of which stems from the persistence of stereotypes and flat-out ignorance. It's especially painful to see, however, when it comes from those for whom ignorance shouldn't be an issue -- like students at an esteemed university. Ironically, the whole incident also just reinforces plenty of negative stereotypes people have about sororities and those who join them too.

Are you shocked that students would think this was okay?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Replies (51-60):
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm not shocked about college students doing something dumb, but I am shocked at parents and CM members defending it. Hats and mustaches, maybe, but signs about being a gardener? I'd be so disappointed if it was my daughter I can't even tell you.

I have a question; in what what ways have mothers and CM members defended doing something dumb? 

Is being able to give people the benefit of the doubt doing something dumb?  If so, I will gladly plead "guilty." 

People deliberately do dumb things all the time to make a point or to make a living.  I don't believe these girls were trying, on a conscious level, to make social commentary but I also don't believe they were trying, certainly not on a conscious level, to insult Mexicans.  They are kids.  Kids make mistakes.  These girls don't deserve to be persecuted or damned and demeaned for making a mistake, no more than you'd make a big deal of your toddler taking off his pants and playing with his wee-wee in the middle of the living room during grandma's birthday party.  And no, I'm not saying the two mistakes are the same, the mistakes are on par with their ages.

*ETA*  The girls are in college to learn; let's treat this as a learning opportunity, not as a opportunity to make them scared to ever make references to people who are different.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I fail to see the problem here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Would you feel the same if the girls dressed up in blackface and held signs about being on welfare? 

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm not shocked about college students doing something dumb, but I am shocked at parents and CM members defending it. Hats and mustaches, maybe, but signs about being a gardener? I'd be so disappointed if it was my daughter I can't even tell you.

I have a question; in what what ways have mothers and CM members defended doing something dumb? 

Is being able to give people the benefit of the doubt doing something dumb?  If so, I will gladly plead "guilty." 

People deliberately do dumb things all the time to make a point or to make a living.  I don't believe these girls weren't trying, on a conscious level, to make a social commentary but I also don't believe they weren't trying, certainly not on a conscious level, to insult Mexicans.  They are kids.  Kids make mistakes.  These girls don't deserve to be persecuted or damned and demeaned for making a mistake, no more than you'd make a big deal of your toddler taking off his pants and playing with his wee-wee in the middle of the living room during grandma's birthday party.  And no, I'm not saying the two mistakes are not the same, the mistakes are on par with their ages.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

How in the world can it be considered degrading to be a gardener.  Lots of gardeners are Mexican.  That is not a racist statement, it is just a fact.  Why in the world would it be degrading.  If I say lots of black guys are in the NBA, is that a racist statement?  Or is it just a fact?

I understand the point you're making.  I'd generalize it a bit more; Mexicans go into many lines of work, one of them being landscaping and many, if not most of the players in the NBA, are black.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

More accurately, you might ask if I'd feel the same if the girls wore hoodies and chunky jewelry and held up signs with the words "Yo, my nizzle, we be gettin' all the weed and all the bitches."

And yes, I'd feel the same.  It's silly; it's not anything to get all bent out of shape about but thanks for the visual into how YOU really think.  I stay away from the welfare posts, which side do you usually take?  I can't get offended by anyone saying bp are on welfare, there are bp on welfare.  I've replied to blackface posts; whether or not it bothers me depends on the situation.  The kids at the school who painted their faces black to support their basketball team whose uniforms were black didn't bother me. 

The grown woman who wore blackface, a leapard skin and carried a spear as her idea of cromagnon man was kind of insulting to me when it happened but that was the knee-jerk reaction.  I now see she was just doing her version of prehistoric (wo)man and I'm now gratified she acknowledges the first humans came out of Africa, and were black and we're all descended from them.

There was a post about a guy who dressed up as a rapper and another who dressed up as Michael Jackson who darkened their skin and no, I didn't get upset about it.  I didn't get upset when Ted Danson wore blackface.

I was offended when Romney darkened his skin to go on Univision because imo he offended the intelligence of everyone who watched that interview.  In my mind it was a "Look, I believe brown is beautiful" kind of thing but maybe that was too knee-jerky; maybe he simply didn't want to be the palest guy in CA that day.  Those girls did not darken their skins, btw, so the question is not very relevant to them.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Would you feel the same if the girls dressed up in blackface and held signs about being on welfare? 

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting shannonnigans:

People deliberately do dumb things all the time to make a point or to make a living.  I don't believe these girls weren't trying, on a conscious level, to make a social commentary but I also don't believe they weren't trying, certainly not on a conscious level, to insult Mexicans.  They are kids.  Kids make mistakes.  These girls don't deserve to be persecuted or damned and demeaned for making a mistake, no more than you'd make a big deal of your toddler taking off his pants and playing with his wee-wee in the middle of the living room during grandma's birthday party.  And no, I'm not saying the two mistakes are not the same, the mistakes are on par with their ages.

gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM

My oldest daughter is half mexican and she nor I find this offensive so much as funny- as a previous poster pointed out I think this generation is less racist and more open and accepting of one another and with that comes a freedom to joke and play off of silly/funny/or just plain old truthful stereotypes...

I have joked with my daughter about her mexican heritage, she knows I love and respect her, I have made sure she knows her heritage and culture, but we do make jokes from time to time and none of it is done in the spirit of meaness or racism.

gotnothinonme
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

wow JonJon, I agree with you, lol....yay for common ground:)

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting shannonnigans:

People deliberately do dumb things all the time to make a point or to make a living.  I don't believe these girls were trying, on a conscious level, to make social commentary but I also don't believe they were trying, certainly not on a conscious level, to insult Mexicans.  They are kids.  Kids make mistakes.  These girls don't deserve to be persecuted or damned and demeaned for making a mistake, no more than you'd make a big deal of your toddler taking off his pants and playing with his wee-wee in the middle of the living room during grandma's birthday party.  And no, I'm not saying the two mistakes are the same, the mistakes are on par with their ages.

*ETA*  The girls are in college to learn; let's treat this as a learning opportunity, not as a opportunity to make them scared to ever make references to people who are different.

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

College students aren't known for common sense.  Remember the photo of one of Prince Charles' boys dressed as a Nazi for a costume party?  

Right.  To this day there are Brits who revile Germans because of WWII; the younger Prince most certainly was not celebrating Hitler.  Or were those people insulted he dare make fun of Hitler?  Or were they insulted on behalf of the German people a la "Germans are not Nazis?"

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I'm not so much concerned about the girls themselves. Kids do make mistakes. And I wouldnt even necessarily have an issue with the get-ups... But the signs were over the top, and I can tell you without any question about it, my parents would have been disappointed in me, and I can't say I would blame them.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livelaughlov26
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I think this was taken out of context and blown way out of proportion. Everyone is so sensitive and politically correct now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)