Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Racist' Sorority Photo Is Sad Reminder That Ignorance Is Everywhere - Are you shocked that students would think this was okay?

Posted by   + Show Post

'Racist' Sorority Photo Is Sad Reminder That Ignorance Is Everywhere

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on December 6, 2012

sombreroThere's really little use debating if the photo currently under fire from a Penn State Mexican-themed sorority party is offensive. It is, without a doubt.

In a picture from the party, members of the Chi Omega sorority are seen dressed in ponchos, sombreros, and fake mustaches. That alone is questionable to some, but the signs they were holding were undeniably outrageous. One read: "Will mow lawn for weed + beer" and the other: "I don't cut grass, I smoke it." No wonder the picture has caused an uproar and cries of racism, both on campus and across the Internet.

Really, how could they have ever thought this was okay?

Vice President of the Mexican American Student Association, Cesar Sanchez Lopez, made some good points when he told Onward State:

"The Mexican American Student Association is disappointed in the attire chosen by this sorority. It in no way represents our culture," Lopez said in a statement. "Not only have they chosen to stereotype our culture with serapes and sombreros, but the insinuation about drug usage makes this image more offensive. Our country is plagued by a drug war that has led to the death of an estimated 50,000 people, which is nothing to be joked about."

The sorority has issued an apology, and the school's Panhellenic Council and the sorority's national headquarters are investigating. But it should have never happened. These young women should have known better, and I hope that I'm raising my kids to know why things like this aren't okay, even if it's in the name of fun.

While I'm shocked by this behavior, I have no doubts that racism is alive and not-so-well in this country. We've come a long way, but there is still much hate out there, much of which stems from the persistence of stereotypes and flat-out ignorance. It's especially painful to see, however, when it comes from those for whom ignorance shouldn't be an issue -- like students at an esteemed university. Ironically, the whole incident also just reinforces plenty of negative stereotypes people have about sororities and those who join them too.

Are you shocked that students would think this was okay?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Replies (61-70):
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM
LOL a little bit of projection going on over there? Such a fine line between defense mechanism and neurosis.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

wow, you must have a whole lot of racial hatred built up in you to come up with all of that.  You might need to get out more.

Quoting shannonnigans:

You know what else would be funny?  Pulling their eyes to the side to make them look slanted, and wearing signs that say "will do laundry for rice"   God damn, isn't that hysterical? 

Or, how about this?  They all put on yarmulkes, someone glues a penny to the floor, and show them all trying to scrape it free.  Boy, isn't that just a hoot?!  

Or we could just go old school, put them all in blackface and have them all say "looky here."  If that doesn't put you into the laugh zone, I don't know what will.  Good clean fun for all!

Your screen name is eerily appropriate.  Good choice.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

So, I suppose if my last name were also Lopez, my opinion on this matter would carry more weight.  If that is what you think, you are the brick.  As I said before, if one is actually in Mexico, the mexicans are selling serapes and sombreros, so they are stereotyping themselves.  Unless you are making the arguement that selling the stuff is okay, but buying it makes one a racist.  Again, if you think that, you are starting the foundation of nice little brick house. 

Will mow lawn for beer or weed is just silly and anyone who would get in a fight about it is crazy.  Now shut up and pay your gardener more money.

Quoting shannonnigans:

"Will mow lawn for beer and weed?" 

Why not ask someone of Mexican ancestry what they think of it?  Oh, they did:

Vice President of the Mexican American Student Association, Cesar Sanchez Lopez, made some good points when he told Onward State:

"The Mexican American Student Association is disappointed in the attire chosen by this sorority. It in no way represents our culture," Lopez said in a statement. "Not only have they chosen to stereotype our culture with serapes and sombreros, but the insinuation about drug usage makes this image more offensive. Our country is plagued by a drug war that has led to the death of an estimated 50,000 people, which is nothing to be joked about."

Stop being a brick. 

Or, I've got a better idea.  Our gardener happens to be Mexican.  Works his ass off for money, not beer and weed.  Struggles to keep his family afloat, yet manages to do so.  Come over with that sign.  Watch what happens.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

You haven't "explained" anything.   You are simply wringing your hands and, in the process, making any kind of actual racial conversation nearly impossible.  A great many Mexicans in this country are doing yard work, or garening, if you will.  They do this because they have a language barrier and often are not equipped to do other kinds of work.  However, they don't consider it to be belittleing to do this type of work, as you do, as most mexicans I know are just happy to be able to work.  These silly girls in this photo are not demeaning Mexicans, they are demeaning themselves.  As for "portraying black people as NBA players"......I did not do that.  I simply stated that there are a lot of black people in the NBA.  Fact.  Not a portrayal or an insult.  Just a fact.  Don't be so emotional and learn to process what you read before you go of the chain.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I can't even believe I have to explain this to you. Ok, first, it's not a slight at gardeners. It's a slight at Mexican Americans implying that they are all gardeners, and worse, potheads to boot. By the way, portraying black people as NBA players or great dancers is little better - it perpetuates stereotypes. But at least those stereotypes are a bit more complimentary than this. It's like having a black jockey in front of a house. Tasteless.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm not shocked about college students doing something dumb, but I am shocked at parents and CM members defending it. Hats and mustaches, maybe, but signs about being a gardener? I'd be so disappointed if it was my daughter I can't even tell you.

How in the world can it be considered degrading to be a gardener.  Lots of gardeners are Mexican.  That is not a racist statement, it is just a fact.  Why in the world would it be degrading.  If I say lots of black guys are in the NBA, is that a racist statement?  Or is it just a

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timeforprogress
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM

It might come as a surprise, but not every Hispanic gardener is Mexican.  Many are actually from other Latin American countries like Guatemala.  Mexicans can also be found working in plenty of other industries, and even own their own businesses.  The signs were more insulting because they played on old school racism that harkins back to the reefer madness days.  The reason cannabis became known as marijuana was to associate it with Mexicans, and get more support for the prohibition by tapping into racism that plagued the nation.  I imagine you like these girls are just oblivious to just how insulting the comments are given that the number one consumers of cannabis are young and white and American. 

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm not shocked about college students doing something dumb, but I am shocked at parents and CM members defending it. Hats and mustaches, maybe, but signs about being a gardener? I'd be so disappointed if it was my daughter I can't even tell you.

How in the world can it be considered degrading to be a gardener.  Lots of gardeners are Mexican.  That is not a racist statement, it is just a fact.  Why in the world would it be degrading.  If I say lots of black guys are in the NBA, is that a racist statement?  Or is it just a fact?

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Mmm...I have a problem with the idea that stereotypes are ever complimentary.  "All Asians are geniuses."  That's a stereotype an Asian boy told me he resented when we were in high school.  He wasn't brilliant.  He got Cs and he resented the idea he was abnormal because he was not abnormally intelligent but merely average.  Oh, I'd presumed he was on the honors list just because he was Asian.  I've known Asian women who resented the stereotype they are all demurely sweet, passive and content to let their men be their lords and masters; they don't appreciate being called exotic.  You'd think they'd be proud of such positive stereotypes, right?

It's best to get to know people as individuals who just may or may not actually fit the stereotypes and to know it's coincidence, not a natural-born attribute.

What on earth do you have against gardeners?  Landscapers make good money and they make the world more beautiful.  In fact, landscapers may find it offensive you keep calling them gardeners.  Gardeners are little old ladies in funny straw sun hats who tend roses. 

Oopsy; was that a stereotype of gardeners?

I think it's a travesty when people paint their black lawn jockeys white because they are folding to peer pressure.  It's another example, imo, of how history has been obscurred and rewritten to deny the contributions of black people as some of the greatest jockeys, and THE greatest jockey of all time, were black. I'm sure white jockeys didn't care to have it known blacks were the better jockeys and I'm sure they were relieved white horse owners stop hiring blacks as they were hard-to-beat competitors.

Today, the stereotype is that blacks don't ride though there are those of us enjoy horseback riding so I say paint all the white lawn jockeys back to black.  Good grief; it's especially bad if those lawn jockeys are the actual ones created back in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  Would anyone paint genuine Federal-style furniture?

The accomplishments of African-American horsemen in the early years of the sport are often forgotten, but in the years between the Civil War and the turn of the century, they were very influential. In the first Kentucky Derby Aristides was trained by African-American Ansel Williamson and guided to

Jimmy Winkfield
Jimmy Winkfield winner of the Kentucky Derby in 1901 and 1902

victory by Oliver Lewis, one of 15 black jockeys in that race. Over all, 15 of the first 28 Kentucky Derbys were won by black jockeys and 5 were trained by black trainers.

After the turn of the century, racing started to be a higher profile sport, and blacks were mostly seen only as stable help. The last black jockey to win the Kentucky Derby, Jimmy Winkfield who won in both 1901 and 1902, left the US for Europe and a lucrative racing career where it is rumoured he even rode for the Czar of Russia. He became fluent in several languages before he retired with over 2300 winners to his credit.

Isaac Murphy's grave at the Kentucky Horse Park
Isaac Murphy's grave at the Kentucky Horse Park
Isaac Murphy
Isaac Murphy who won 44% of all his races

Most famous of the black jockeys by far is Isaac Murphy who is considered one of the greatest riders in American history. He was the first jockey to win three Kentucky Derbys and won an astonishing 44% of all races he rode. That record has not been approached by any other jockey since. He was the first jockey to be inducted into the Jockey Hall of Fame at the National Museum of Racing. Sadly, his career was cut short at the age of 34 when he died of pneumonia. He always had trouble staying at the light weight demanded of a jockey and was known to binge and purge. It has been speculated that it was vomit backing up in his lungs that caused the pneumonia which led to his death. He is buried next to Man O' War in the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I can't even believe I have to explain this to you. Ok, first, it's not a slight at gardeners. It's a slight at Mexican Americans implying that they are all gardeners, and worse, potheads to boot. By the way, portraying black people as NBA players or great dancers is little better - it perpetuates stereotypes. But at least those stereotypes are a bit more complimentary than this. It's like having a black jockey in front of a house. Tasteless.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

How in the world can it be considered degrading to be a gardener.  Lots of gardeners are Mexican.  That is not a racist statement, it is just a fact.  Why in the world would it be degrading.  If I say lots of black guys are in the NBA, is that a racist statement?  Or is it just a fact?

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see this as degrading or feel ill- will from this photo in any way.  Really?  Next time I see a photo of a man in a pin-stripped suit with a carnationattached to his lapel with a gun in his hand or a plump older woman with  a lace doily on her head holding out a platter of pasta I should be offended??  Please. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I see old faces and sns here and this is just fifty shades of juicy.

happy

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

It looks like there are women in that picture who are from Latin based backgrounds, not sure if they are Mexican. People post pictures on st. Patrick's day dressed up alluding to excessive alcohol consumption, how is this any different?

I understand the Irish, including those who live in Ireland, are not particularly amused by the stereotype they are all bad-tempered, hard drinkers/fighters though I've seen CMs of Irish descent say it is true for one or more members of their families.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Excellente, Mucho Bueno!

Quoting Rhiannon92:

This is NOT racism, it is prejudice and stereotyping.

Racism is believing one race is better than another. Stereotyping and prejudice is the notion that an entire ( or the majority of a ) race/creed/sex does something or acts a certain way.

I personally don't find it to be all that offensive. Life is too short to be concerned about something this trivial.. It's not like it is a goddamn hate crime, people.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

AYE, tis true.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting Reepicheep.CSL:

It looks like there are women in that picture who are from Latin based backgrounds, not sure if they are Mexican. People post pictures on st. Patrick's day dressed up alluding to excessive alcohol consumption, how is this any different?

I understand the Irish, including those who live in Ireland, are not particularly amused by the stereotype they are all bad-tempered, hard drinkers/fighters though I've seen CMs of Irish descent say it is true for members of their families.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:02 PM

You are aware how stereotypes become stereotypes yes?

We don't just spin a big wheel and hand them out.

Quoting shannonnigans:

You know what else would be funny?  Pulling their eyes to the side to make them look slanted, and wearing signs that say "will do laundry for rice"   God damn, isn't that hysterical?   Funny!

Or, how about this?  They all put on yarmulkes, someone glues a penny to the floor, and show them all trying to scrape it free.  Boy, isn't that just a hoot?!   Funny!

Or we could just go old school, put them all in blackface and have them all say "looky here."  If that doesn't put you into the laugh zone, I don't know what will.  Good clean fun for all!  Lame, they all can't be winners.

Your screen name is eerily appropriate.  Good choice.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

So, I suppose if my last name were also Lopez, my opinion on this matter would carry more weight.  If that is what you think, you are the brick.  As I said before, if one is actually in Mexico, the mexicans are selling serapes and sombreros, so they are stereotyping themselves.  Unless you are making the arguement that selling the stuff is okay, but buying it makes one a racist.  Again, if you think that, you are starting the foundation of nice little brick house. 

Will mow lawn for beer or weed is just silly and anyone who would get in a fight about it is crazy.  Now shut up and pay your gardener more money.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Stop being a brick. 

Or, I've got a better idea.  Our gardener happens to be Mexican.  Works his ass off for money, not beer and weed.  Struggles to keep his family afloat, yet manages to do so.  Come over with that sign.  Watch what happens.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

You haven't "explained" anything.   You are simply wringing your hands and, in the process, making any kind of actual racial conversation nearly impossible.  A great many Mexicans in this country are doing yard work, or garening, if you will.  They do this because they have a language barrier and often are not equipped to do other kinds of work.  However, they don't consider it to be belittleing to do this type of work, as you do, as most mexicans I know are just happy to be able to work.  These silly girls in this photo are not demeaning Mexicans, they are demeaning themselves.  As for "portraying black people as NBA players"......I did not do that.  I simply stated that there are a lot of black people in the NBA.  Fact.  Not a portrayal or an insult.  Just a fact.  Don't be so emotional and learn to process what you read before you go of the chain.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

How in the world can it be considered degrading to be a gardener.  Lots of gardeners are Mexican.  That is not a racist statement, it is just a fact.  Why in the world would it be degrading.  If I say lots of black guys are in the NBA, is that a racist statement?  Or is it just a

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM

What's interesting is he is offended by the sombreros and serapes which most of us know Mexicans don't wear except as costumes at traditional ceremonies celebrating their cultural heritages but he then goes on to confirm that drugs are a horrendous problem in Mexico, even referring to it as his country.  Um, kid, your organization is called Mexican-AMERICAN Student Association.  You got a bit confused but good on you for that level of compassion for the innocent Mexican people who have lost their lives to the drug wars.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)