Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Racist' Sorority Photo Is Sad Reminder That Ignorance Is Everywhere - Are you shocked that students would think this was okay?

Posted by   + Show Post

'Racist' Sorority Photo Is Sad Reminder That Ignorance Is Everywhere

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on December 6, 2012

sombreroThere's really little use debating if the photo currently under fire from a Penn State Mexican-themed sorority party is offensive. It is, without a doubt.

In a picture from the party, members of the Chi Omega sorority are seen dressed in ponchos, sombreros, and fake mustaches. That alone is questionable to some, but the signs they were holding were undeniably outrageous. One read: "Will mow lawn for weed + beer" and the other: "I don't cut grass, I smoke it." No wonder the picture has caused an uproar and cries of racism, both on campus and across the Internet.

Really, how could they have ever thought this was okay?

Vice President of the Mexican American Student Association, Cesar Sanchez Lopez, made some good points when he told Onward State:

"The Mexican American Student Association is disappointed in the attire chosen by this sorority. It in no way represents our culture," Lopez said in a statement. "Not only have they chosen to stereotype our culture with serapes and sombreros, but the insinuation about drug usage makes this image more offensive. Our country is plagued by a drug war that has led to the death of an estimated 50,000 people, which is nothing to be joked about."

The sorority has issued an apology, and the school's Panhellenic Council and the sorority's national headquarters are investigating. But it should have never happened. These young women should have known better, and I hope that I'm raising my kids to know why things like this aren't okay, even if it's in the name of fun.

While I'm shocked by this behavior, I have no doubts that racism is alive and not-so-well in this country. We've come a long way, but there is still much hate out there, much of which stems from the persistence of stereotypes and flat-out ignorance. It's especially painful to see, however, when it comes from those for whom ignorance shouldn't be an issue -- like students at an esteemed university. Ironically, the whole incident also just reinforces plenty of negative stereotypes people have about sororities and those who join them too.

Are you shocked that students would think this was okay?

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Replies (71-80):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:06 PM

You mean stereotypes come from some grain of truth?  I'm shocked and offended for every ethnicity on the planet.

tsk tsk

Quoting Billiejeens:

You are aware how steortypes become stereotypes yes?

We don't just spin a big wheel and hand them out.

Quoting shannonnigans:

You know what else would be funny?  Pulling their eyes to the side to make them look slanted, and wearing signs that say "will do laundry for rice"   God damn, isn't that hysterical?   Funny!

Or, how about this?  They all put on yarmulkes, someone glues a penny to the floor, and show them all trying to scrape it free.  Boy, isn't that just a hoot?!   Funny!

Or we could just go old school, put them all in blackface and have them all say "looky here."  If that doesn't put you into the laugh zone, I don't know what will.  Good clean fun for all!  Lame, they all can't be winners.

Your screen name is eerily appropriate.  Good choice.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

So, I suppose if my last name were also Lopez, my opinion on this matter would carry more weight.  If that is what you think, you are the brick.  As I said before, if one is actually in Mexico, the mexicans are selling serapes and sombreros, so they are stereotyping themselves.  Unless you are making the arguement that selling the stuff is okay, but buying it makes one a racist.  Again, if you think that, you are starting the foundation of nice little brick house. 

Will mow lawn for beer or weed is just silly and anyone who would get in a fight about it is crazy.  Now shut up and pay your gardener more money.

Quoting shannonnigans:

"Will mow lawn for beer and weed?" 

Why not ask someone of Mexican ancestry what they think of it?  Oh, they did:

Vice President of the Mexican American Student Association, Cesar Sanchez Lopez, made some good points when he told Onward State:

"The Mexican American Student Association is disappointed in the attire chosen by this sorority. It in no way represents our culture," Lopez said in a statement. "Not only have they chosen to stereotype our culture with serapes and sombreros, but the insinuation about drug usage makes this image more offensive. Our country is plagued by a drug war that has led to the death of an estimated 50,000 people, which is nothing to be joked about."

Stop being a brick. 

Or, I've got a better idea.  Our gardener happens to be Mexican.  Works his ass off for money, not beer and weed.  Struggles to keep his family afloat, yet manages to do so.  Come over with that sign.  Watch what happens.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

You haven't "explained" anything.   You are simply wringing your hands and, in the process, making any kind of actual racial conversation nearly impossible.  A great many Mexicans in this country are doing yard work, or garening, if you will.  They do this because they have a language barrier and often are not equipped to do other kinds of work.  However, they don't consider it to be belittleing to do this type of work, as you do, as most mexicans I know are just happy to be able to work.  These silly girls in this photo are not demeaning Mexicans, they are demeaning themselves.  As for "portraying black people as NBA players"......I did not do that.  I simply stated that there are a lot of black people in the NBA.  Fact.  Not a portrayal or an insult.  Just a fact.  Don't be so emotional and learn to process what you read before you go of the chain.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I can't even believe I have to explain this to you. Ok, first, it's not a slight at gardeners. It's a slight at Mexican Americans implying that they are all gardeners, and worse, potheads to boot. By the way, portraying black people as NBA players or great dancers is little better - it perpetuates stereotypes. But at least those stereotypes are a bit more complimentary than this. It's like having a black jockey in front of a house. Tasteless.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm not shocked about college students doing something dumb, but I am shocked at parents and CM members defending it. Hats and mustaches, maybe, but signs about being a gardener? I'd be so disappointed if it was my daughter I can't even tell you.

How in the world can it be considered degrading to be a gardener.  Lots of gardeners are Mexican.  That is not a racist statement, it is just a fact.  Why in the world would it be degrading.  If I say lots of black guys are in the NBA, is that a racist statement?  Or is it just a

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM

I thought everyone knew <sawry> 

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

You mean stereotypes come from some grain of truth?  I'm shocked and offended for every ethnicity on the planet.

tsk tsk

Quoting Billiejeens:

You are aware how steortypes become stereotypes yes?

We don't just spin a big wheel and hand them out.

Quoting shannonnigans:

You know what else would be funny?  Pulling their eyes to the side to make them look slanted, and wearing signs that say "will do laundry for rice"   God damn, isn't that hysterical?   Funny!

Or, how about this?  They all put on yarmulkes, someone glues a penny to the floor, and show them all trying to scrape it free.  Boy, isn't that just a hoot?!   Funny!

Or we could just go old school, put them all in blackface and have them all say "looky here."  If that doesn't put you into the laugh zone, I don't know what will.  Good clean fun for all!  Lame, they all can't be winners.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

So, I suppose if my last name were also Lopez, my opinion on this matter would carry more weight.  If that is what you think, you are the brick.  As I said before, if one is actually in Mexico, the mexicans are selling serapes and sombreros, so they are stereotyping themselves.  Unless you are making the arguement that selling the stuff is okay, but buying it makes one a racist.  Again, if you think that, you are starting the foundation of nice little brick house. 

Will mow lawn for beer or weed is just silly and anyone who would get in a fight about it is crazy.  Now shut up and pay your gardener more money.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Stop being a brick. 

Or, I've got a better idea.  Our gardener happens to be Mexican.  Works his ass off for money, not beer and weed.  Struggles to keep his family afloat, yet manages to do so.  Come over with that sign.  Watch what happens.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

You haven't "explained" anything.   You are simply wringing your hands and, in the process, making any kind of actual racial conversation nearly impossible.  A great many Mexicans in this country are doing yard work, or garening, if you will.  They do this because they have a language barrier and often are not equipped to do other kinds of work.  However, they don't consider it to be belittleing to do this type of work, as you do, as most mexicans I know are just happy to be able to work.  These silly girls in this photo are not demeaning Mexicans, they are demeaning themselves.  As for "portraying black people as NBA players"......I did not do that.  I simply stated that there are a lot of black people in the NBA.  Fact.  Not a portrayal or an insult.  Just a fact.  Don't be so emotional and learn to process what you read before you go of the chain.

Quoting shannonnigans:

I can't even believe I have to explain this to you. Ok, first, it's not a slight at gardeners. It's a slight at Mexican Americans implying that they are all gardeners, and worse, potheads to boot. By the way, portraying black people as NBA players or great dancers is little better - it perpetuates stereotypes. But at least those stereotypes are a bit more complimentary than this. It's like having a black jockey in front of a house. Tasteless.

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm not shocked about college students doing something dumb, but I am shocked at parents and CM members defending it. Hats and mustaches, maybe, but signs about being a gardener? I'd be so disappointed if it was my daughter I can't even tell you.

How in the world can it be considered degrading to be a gardener.  Lots of gardeners are Mexican.  That is not a racist statement, it is just a fact.  Why in the world would it be degrading.  If I say lots of black guys are in the NBA, is that a racist statement?  Or is it just a

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG, my eyes are bleeding.  Which people represented by members of this group DIDN'T you just insult?  Oh, yeah; you forgot the First Nations, Muslims, and Gays.

See how your attempt to make a point could be perceived as YOU taking this as a chance to write openly bigoted statements? 

Why should you be given any more the benefit of the doubt than those sorority sisters?

Quoting shannonnigans:

You know what else would be funny?  Pulling their eyes to the side to make them look slanted, and wearing signs that say "will do laundry for rice"   God damn, isn't that hysterical? 

Or, how about this?  They all put on yarmulkes, someone glues a penny to the floor, and show them all trying to scrape it free.  Boy, isn't that just a hoot?!  

Or we could just go old school, put them all in blackface and have them all say "looky here."  If that doesn't put you into the laugh zone, I don't know what will.  Good clean fun for all!

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Stop being a brick. 

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Quoting JCB911:

I'm not sure why a poncho, sombrero or a mustache would be questionable.  The Mexican restarant my family frequents actually has the word "sombero" as part of the name.  And sombreros decorate the place - perhaps I should boycott such a racist, hateful establishment.

When she was young, my daughter's favorite food was Mexican so one year we took her to Azteca ("A bit of Mexico in your backyard") for her birthday.  When they brought her flan with a candle in it, they placed a huge sombrero on her head and sang Feliz CumpleaƱos.  The walls were festooned with serapes.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM
My problem is with the sign. I'm sorry, I find it offensive.

Quoting JonJon:

What's interesting is he is offended by the sombreros and serapes which most of us know Mexicans don't wear except as costumes at traditional ceremonies celebrating their cultural heritages but he then goes on to confirm that drugs are a horrendous problem in Mexico, even referring to it as his country.  Um, kid, your organization is called Mexican-AMERICAN Student Association.  You got a bit confused but good on you for that level of compassion for the innocent Mexican people who have lost their lives to the drug wars.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Now that you mention it, I was wondering about the beer reference.  There isn't a stereotype of Mexicans as drunks though I've seen them depicted as drunks in the old movies but those movie characters were always drunk on stereotypical tequila.

College students as pot-smoking beer drinkers IS a stereotype, though; I think you've figured out what that particular girl was doing.  The whole group shouldn't be judged for the act of the two girls holding signs with silly messages.

Quoting JCB911:

This is what I was refering to(from the article)

". . . are seen dressed in ponchos, sombreros, and fake mustaches. That alone is questionable to some . . ."

I get why people would be upset about the signs, although I think it was just a bunch of silly college kids having fun - and I thought the pot/grass reference was about themselves - didn't realize mexican-Americans as drug users was a stereotype.

Quoting tweety101149:

Quoting JCB911:

I'm not sure why a poncho, sombrero or a mustache would be questionable.  The Mexican restarant my family frequents actually has the word "sombero" as part of the name.  And sombreros decorate the place - perhaps I should boycott such a racist, hateful establishment.

Maybe you should re-read the whole story again, and not just sombreros and mushache, but the signs as well.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM
One, I am one of those groups. Second, it's to make a point, and my intolerance to racism should by this point be rather well known, and you should know that because I have joined you many times in crossing swords with certain other members here, and was called a race-traitor for doing so.

I'm not sure how we're not communicating here because I would agree with you 100% that no stereotyping is really positive. And as I've said before, to me, it is the sign - insensitive on its best light in my opinion

Quoting JonJon:

OMG, my eyes are bleeding.  Which people represented by members of this group DIDN'T you just insult?  Oh, yeah; you forgot the First Nations, Muslims, and Gays.

See how your attempt to make a point could be perceived as YOU taking this as a chance to write openly bigoted statements? 

Why should you be given any more the benefit of the doubt than those sorority sisters?

Quoting shannonnigans:

You know what else would be funny?  Pulling their eyes to the side to make them look slanted, and wearing signs that say "will do laundry for rice"   God damn, isn't that hysterical? 

Or, how about this?  They all put on yarmulkes, someone glues a penny to the floor, and show them all trying to scrape it free.  Boy, isn't that just a hoot?!  

Or we could just go old school, put them all in blackface and have them all say "looky here."  If that doesn't put you into the laugh zone, I don't know what will.  Good clean fun for all!

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Stop being a brick. 

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Shannon, I have a very short memory.  I seldom commit people to memory unless what they write is persistently and consistently adverse or persistently and consistently brilliant.

I, too, am a member of one of those groups and have written out the stereotypes to make a point and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someone complained about my doing so.  I've written out the negative stereotypes of blacks on several occasions in the last four years since joining CM so I don't understand what point you are making about being one of those groups as if that means we are least likely to stereotype others, or even to perpetuate the stereotypes against members of our own stereotyped groups.  I don't know about your group but sadly, mine accuses certain members of our race as being stereotypical all the time.

I mentioned there are no positive stereotypes because near the beginning of the tree you say, "...at least those stereotypes are a bit more complimentary..."  We've been complaining about the stereotypes we are all born "ballers" and dancers for a long time.

I respect your right to be offended.  I understand how some people could be offended.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the way you feel.  I'm just sharing a differing pov.  I don't mean to chastise, persecute or be judgmental.  Sorry if I've given you that impression.

Quoting shannonnigans:

One, I am one of those groups. Second, it's to make a point, and my intolerance to racism should by this point be rather well known, and you should know that because I have joined you many times in crossing swords with certain other members here, and was called a race-traitor for doing so.

I'm not sure how we're not communicating here because I would agree with you 100% that no stereotyping is really positive. And as I've said before, to me, it is the sign - insensitive on its best light in my opinion

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Stop being a brick. 

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting lookingforlogic:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Yeah JJ you should appreciate her.  As a full blown Lib-e-ral  she knows that you being a minority, you need her help to stand up for yourself.

Oddly, I give you more respect as an adversary than she does helping you.

Quoting JonJon:

Shannon, I have a very short memory.  I seldom commit people to memory unless what they write is persistently and consistently adverse or persistently and consistently brilliant.

<Snip>

I'm not trying to talk you out of the way you feel.  I'm just sharing a differing pov.  I don't mean to chastise, persecute or be judgmental.  Sorry if I've given you that impression.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting JonJon:

JonJon
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

1)  Thank you for the adversarial respect.

2)  No thank you for trying to agitate.  I gladly take Shannon's hand as we support each other in our shared beliefs and respect and value each other's differences.

wink

Quoting Billiejeens:

Yeah JJ you should appreciate her.  As a full blown Lib-e-ral  she knows that you being a minority, you need her help to stand up for yourself.

Oddly, I give you more respect as an adversary than she does helping you.

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting JonJon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)