Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cory Booker: Food Stamp Challenge Resulting In Hunger Pains, Caffeine Withdrawal

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
  • 16 Replies

Cory Booker: Food Stamp Challenge Resulting In Hunger Pains, Caffeine Withdrawal

Cory Booker

Cory Booker is getting hungry.

The Newark, N.J. mayor is now on day three of his self-imposed food stamp challenge. Inspired by a Twitter spat about the responsibility of government to provide food for its people, Booker decided to live for a week on the monetary equivalent of food stamps. He had $30 for the whole week -- a mere $4.32 a day -- to pay for all of his meals and beverages.

True to form, Booker is tweeting up a storm about his experience and keeping a blog.

After a few days of eating mostly vegetable-based foods, Booker is famished. "The constrained food options I have for this one short week highlight for me (with the hunger pains I felt today between small meals) what many hardworking families have to deal with week after week," he wrote on his blog.

"Not being able to stop and drop a few dollars for a Venti coffee or Diet Mountain Dew is really raising my consciousness about the food choices I often take for granted," Booker observed.

@CoryBooker
Cory Booker

Lunch today was a can of corn and a can of peas mixed together. I'm starting to feel the caffeine withdrawal.  

On Thursday, Booker shared this photo on Instagram: "Preparing meals for my 3rd day of #SNAPChallenge."

He's also starting to regret some of his purchases.

"The second day on the #SNAPChallenge, I ate salad for breakfast, a can of peas and corn mixed together for lunch, and cauliflower, broccoli and a sweet potato for dinner," he wrote. "In hindsight, investing more of my SNAP budget in eggs, and perhaps some coffee might have helped me later in the week. I am growing concerned about running out of food before this is over -- especially as I try to resist the urge now to have another sweet potato before I go to bed tonight."

Here's what Booker started out with at the beginning of his challenge.

cory booker

cory booker

Hang in there Booker! Four more days to go.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

he better get some Ramaen noodles! lol

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Well, since you aren't supposed to live off them, maybe he should act like how they are supposed to be used.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM

A lot of people use food stamps for food. And money for Rent/Bills.

In the other post about PA where someone gave their story. Someone said, "You should pay three dollars to get cake mix" and she pointed out what her budget was and that she wouldn't be able to afford 3 dollars more.

Now I agree that a lot of people earn enough where they could afford some food and the food stamps is suppose to supplement what they already have.

But there are indeed other people where all of their money goes to bills.

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Well, since you aren't supposed to live off them, maybe he should act like how they are supposed to be used.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM

But there are people who only have that to use for food. That's the reality they live. Like seniors who get their SS check and that has to cover everything (rent, utilities) and SNAP is all they have for food. They have no other income. Too many people only have that and nothing else. And that's the mayors point. Too many people live like that. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM

He might have to visit a food pantry soon. 

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

he better get some Ramaen noodles! lol

Yep.  lol

Claire-Huxtable
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Then your family or community or a food pantry helps you.

It is just bs posturing that he does this and then goes back to buying what he wants next week.

If he is so making a point, he should continue to do this and donate what he normal spends minus the 30 dollars.

Quoting mehamil1:

But there are people who only have that to use for food. That's the reality they live. Like seniors who get their SS check and that has to cover everything (rent, utilities) and SNAP is all they have for food. They have no other income. Too many people only have that and nothing else. And that's the mayors point. Too many people live like that. 

Quoting Claire-Huxtable:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Instead of buying all of those canned vegetables, he should have bought frozen off brand, along with a jar of peanut butter and whole wheat bread. Peanut butter will keep you satisfied far longer than a can of corn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I'm not surprised he's struggling.  There's not much in that grocery pile to effectively balance plant proteins.  I know he's vegetarian; he should have gotten some eggs and/or cheese, maybe at the expense of the bagged salads?  Though the salad mix does make packed luch at the office an awful lot easier . . . . . 

allycally
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM
He forgot the staples like ramen and 88cent banquet meals
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)