Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teachers face child abuse charges for dragging blind boy through school by his feet (VIDEO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Surveillance video that shows a teacher dragging a 6-year-old student on his back down the hallway inside Gonzales Community School in Santa Fe has her on administrative leave, police said.

KOB

Surveillance video from Gonzales Community School in Santa Fe shows a two teacher dragging a 6-year-old student down a hallway. 

Two teachers in New Mexico are facing child abuse charges after the school released a video showing them dragging a blind 6-year-old boy down a hall by his legs.

The teacher told cops that the special needs child at Gonzales Community School in Santa Fe refused to go to another classroom, so she dragged him there, local TV station KOB reported.

In the video, one woman can be seen towing the little boy by the ankles as he lays on his back. A second teacher joins in, while a third walks with the other two, watching the troubling incident.

Santa Fe Police Sgt. Andrea Dobyns told KOB the teacher has worked with the boy for a long time and that the two had a good relationship.

"We don't believe the teacher was intentionally trying to hurt the child, but our problem is the blatant neglect for his safety," Dobyns said.

"The boy's parents like this teacher,” she said.

drag 1206

KOB

The boy wasn't hurt in the incident. The two teachers are facing child abuse charges. 

The boy complained that his head hurt after the dragging, but otherwise wasn’t seriously injuried, the station reported.

The two teachers who dragged the boy would face child abuse charges, while the third teacher could face punishment for not reporting the incident.

The Santa Fe district attorney was reviewing the case, KOB reported.

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Replies (31-40):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:25 PM
I currently work 45-60 min f/DD's school. You can make that threat, but only if you want a lawsuit!

This was a SPED kid. Did his IEP say to drag him by ankles if he refused to move locations? Seems unlikely. Does it say that the moment he misbehaves he loses his right to an education for the day? Oh, no, that goes against SPED policy too! They're supposed to try to keep kids in school, not kick them out at the drop of a hat!

Quoting Paperfishies:

I doubt it will fix anything but teachers need to be proactive in protecting themselves and the only way teachers can protect themselves is to call the parent to come get their kid when the child will not comply.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Unrealistic.  And you assume that the parents have the power to change the child's ways if they'd just "wake up."  Don't assume that anything short of parenting camp will fix anything.

Quoting Paperfishies:

The moment a student won't comply a parent needs to be called and that parents needs to be told, you hve 10 minutes to get here and take charge of your child. If you aren't here the police will be called.

Parents bitch and cry no matter what. Lets disturb their work day a few times and maybe they will wake the fuck up.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Teachers are damned if they do, damned if they don't. This is why public schools over all fucking suck. Teachers have to spend the majority of their time of 1 or 2 students while the rest of the classes needs go unmet.
Special Ed or not, if a child refuses to comply parents need to be called to come and rectify the situation. Way too fucking many parents use school as a baby sitter and it's disgusting.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I currently work 45-60 min f/DD's school. You can make that threat, but only if you want a lawsuit!

This was a SPED kid. Did his IEP say to drag him by ankles if he refused to move locations? Seems unlikely. Does it say that the moment he misbehaves he loses his right to an education for the day? Oh, no, that goes against SPED policy too! They're supposed to try to keep kids in school, not kick them out at the drop of a hat!

Quoting Paperfishies:

I doubt it will fix anything but teachers need to be proactive in protecting themselves and the only way teachers can protect themselves is to call the parent to come get their kid when the child will not comply.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Unrealistic.  And you assume that the parents have the power to change the child's ways if they'd just "wake up."  Don't assume that anything short of parenting camp will fix anything.

Quoting Paperfishies:

The moment a student won't comply a parent needs to be called and that parents needs to be told, you hve 10 minutes to get here and take charge of your child. If you aren't here the police will be called.

Parents bitch and cry no matter what. Lets disturb their work day a few times and maybe they will wake the fuck up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

There was a mother a couple of years ago who was caught on camera dragging her two year old. He was having a fit, she was ill and needed to get an errand done. She was arrested, her child was placed in foster care and then she was convicted of child abuse, although the child was unharmed. If a parent cannot legally discipline their children by dragging, teachers should not be able to do so either. I feel the same way about using the paddle. Most states do not allow any sort of implement to be used for spanking, yet some of those same states allow schools to use a paddle without legal recourse.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
You know what's really disgusting right now? Your language! Do I cuss at you? Ever? No! You needn't cuss at me in return.

I don't think it's appropriate for parents to use schools as simple daycare. But many SPED kids have emotional disturbances & the schools need to do a FBA & a BIP & follow the IEP, before basically suspending the child. Calling the parent is the same as suspension.

I'm not saying I'd refuse to go. I'm saying I work in a different county. I work with emotionally disturbed kids myself. I'm fairly lucky. When I've gotten called to pick mine up, I was on my way anyway, & it wasn't a behavior problem. By kid's gonna have at least 3, maybe 4, 504s, for medical problems, so I guess that's not so lucky. (She's in a private kinder this year, so the 504 nightmare starts next year.)

In grad school I took a class on SPED law & I've been the school liaison at various agencies as part of my social work/therapist position. I have been to more ARDs than I can remember or count, some in some terrific TX school districts, some in some lousy TX school districts. But the child's ultimate right to an education remains the same.

I absolutely agree with you that parents are a vital part of *every* child's education, SPED, regular, or G&T, public, private, or homeschooled.

I think there are *many* problems with public education. I'd start by making kinder mandatory, year round, and the summer before testing all the kids to see how they learn best & offering different kinders to meet different learners' needs, such as Waldorf, Montessori, "traditional didactic, etc. Obviously, this wouldn't solve issues for our older children, but I wonder if these kids would do better throughout their 13 years. I'd also take all property taxes for a state & evenly distribute them throughout the state's schools. Eanes ISD would love that, not! I'll probably continue having ideas as see my daughter grow.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Teachers are damned if they do, damned if they don't. This is why public schools over all fucking suck. Teachers have to spend the majority of their time of 1 or 2 students while the rest of the classes needs go unmet.

Special Ed or not, if a child refuses to comply parents need to be called to come and rectify the situation. Way too fucking many parents use school as a baby sitter and it's disgusting.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM
You clearly know nothing about SPED kids based on the highly insulting comment below about autistic & blind children.

It's a shame that they've chosen you to work one on one with an impulsive child.

Quoting Bieg9093:

I work at a nursery school.  I teach three year old classes.  Some kids start in my class when they are 2 1/2 and many turn 4 while in my class.  I also am temping for part of this year (pending eval results/cpse mtg) with a little dude in the 4 year old class.  He'll be turning 5 soon and is as impulsive a little guy as I have EVER seen.  He is like greased lightening and is a danger to himself and the other kids.  They assigned me as a one-on-one because the alternative would be kicking him out of school before a more appropriate placement can be determined and secured.  And that would be a shame.

I'm so fascinated that you keep referring to your "autistic son."  Is it okay for teachers to teach typical kids not to act like an ass, but we'd better not work too hard to teach the autistic ones?  Or do you think there's some high coincidence of special accomodations needed for both blind kids and autistic ones?  Let's just admit that ALL kids, regardless of what's going on up in their little brains, sometimes do the very typical thing called testing limits and need to be told "walk or I will carry you."

Quoting tooptimistic:

I very rarely had to call a parent.. Its called classroom control.

I did look at the video, and it were my austistic son, there would be hell to pay.

Do you work at a center?  

Quoting Bieg9093:

In my children's elementary school, if the office calls a parent to school the parent might come up to the school.  Or the office might get a disconnected number.  Or the person who answers the phone can't understand English/relay a message.  Or the parent says they're coming and arrives 2 hours later.  I'm not exaggerating.

Add to that the fact that a 6 year old who wants Mommy or wants to go home and watch TV can use acting up as the golden key to getting EXACTLY what he wants.  How is THAT good for anybody involved?

Please look again at the video.  Does that child look like he's being abused?  He barely looks inconvenienced!  Whoopie for you that you go running for the phone every time a kid pitches a fit.  Me...I'd rather pick them up and carry them, and in doing so, TEACH them that bad behavior isn't going to get them what they want.

FTR, I don't abuse kids and I don't lock them in closets either.  I'll still probably carry rather than drag, just because it's worked for me so far.  But dragging is arguably safer than carrying.

Quoting tooptimistic:

OMG..

I am so glad my autistic son or daughter with a mic-key button will never will in your classroom!!  I taught kindergarten and ran a day care for YEARS. Never drug a single child.  Not once. Never locked one in a closet or abused them in any way.  If you were to do that in one of my centers, you would have been fired.  

If a child acted like that, we called his or her parent, and had the parent come pick them.  If a child would have refused to leave a classroom, the teacher would have called me, and I would have stayed with child until an adult got there for the child,  while the rest of the class went outside or the lunch room.

You don't drag a child EVER.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Not for a second.  Granted, I currently work with ages 2-5, so I pick up kids much more often than teachers of 6 year olds would need to.  But the idea is the same...when you send a kid to me to teach, I'm gonna do what's right for that child.  And if the little rugrat, be he blind, labeled or just plain ornery, chooses to put his little hands on his little hips and refuse to budge then I will be budging him.  Why?  Cause it's what he needs, it's what his peers need to see AND it's damaging to him to let him act like a brat.  I will do anything for the kids in my care that is good for them.

The obvious exceptions would be kids who are medically too fragile to be manhandled or certain situations in which I'd choose a different technique should the child have sensory aversions.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011:

Please tell me you are tastelessly joking.

Quoting Bieg9093:

A few thoughts...

1.  I would have picked the kid up and carried him fireman style.  But that's me.  I'm pretty sturdy, no back problems and it doesn't phase me when kids pull my hair.  I've never dropped a kid whom I was carrying.  But after seeing that, I may consider using their dragging techinique in the future.  It's much safer for both the child and the teacher.  I don't for a second believe that bs about it hurting his head.

2. What exactly do people WANT educators to do when children completely refuse to comply?  Are they just supposed to wait forever?  Are they supposed to ask all the other kids to just ignore highly disruptive students?  I know a high school where a single girl refused to comply with final exam testing rules.  Then she refused to leave the testing room.  The school decided to move EVERY OTHER STUDENT to another room rather than forcing the delinquent to comply or leave.  Does ANYONE really think THAT'S a good idea?

3. When educators actually stand up to kids who test limits, it teaches the kids to respect the limits.  When teachers are forced into the role of candy-asses who can't make kids follow rules or directions, it undermines the education of the child in question AND that of every other child who witnesses it. 

4.  Kid obviously didn't mind being dragged overmuch.  If it bothered him, then he would have chosen to walk.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're seriously a butt hurt little snowflake over an F bomb, you need to get off the Internet and never leave your home. Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck. You act as if I called you a cunt, when I was cursing in general conversation, not at you. Learn the difference.

Calling a parent isn't the same thing as being suspended. Being suspended is being forced out of school for several days as punishment. Calling a parent is calling a parent, which is not a punishment.

Teachers can not win in these situations, no matter way they do. Someone always bitches about something.

Quoting Bookwormy:

You know what's really disgusting right now? Your language! Do I cuss at you? Ever? No! You needn't cuss at me in return.

I don't think it's appropriate for parents to use schools as simple daycare. But many SPED kids have emotional disturbances & the schools need to do a FBA & a BIP & follow the IEP, before basically suspending the child. Calling the parent is the same as suspension.

I'm not saying I'd refuse to go. I'm saying I work in a different county. I work with emotionally disturbed kids myself. I'm fairly lucky. When I've gotten called to pick mine up, I was on my way anyway, & it wasn't a behavior problem. By kid's gonna have at least 3, maybe 4, 504s, for medical problems, so I guess that's not so lucky. (She's in a private kinder this year, so the 504 nightmare starts next year.)

In grad school I took a class on SPED law & I've been the school liaison at various agencies as part of my social work/therapist position. I have been to more ARDs than I can remember or count, some in some terrific TX school districts, some in some lousy TX school districts. But the child's ultimate right to an education remains the same.

I absolutely agree with you that parents are a vital part of *every* child's education, SPED, regular, or G&T, public, private, or homeschooled.

I think there are *many* problems with public education. I'd start by making kinder mandatory, year round, and the summer before testing all the kids to see how they learn best & offering different kinders to meet different learners' needs, such as Waldorf, Montessori, "traditional didactic, etc. Obviously, this wouldn't solve issues for our older children, but I wonder if these kids would do better throughout their 13 years. I'd also take all property taxes for a state & evenly distribute them throughout the state's schools. Eanes ISD would love that, not! I'll probably continue having ideas as see my daughter grow.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.........

Quoting Paperfishies:

If you're seriously a butt hurt little snowflake over an F bomb, you need to get off the Internet and never leave your home. Fuck, fuck, fuckity fuck. You act as if I called you a cunt, when I was cursing in general conversation, not at you. Learn the difference.

Calling a parent isn't the same thing as being suspended. Being suspended is being forced out of school for several days as punishment. Calling a parent is calling a parent, which is not a punishment.

Teachers can not win in these situations, no matter way they do. Someone always bitches about something.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM
My tushy feels fine; thanks for asking! You're right; you didn't cuss at me. However, common courtesy won't kill you. My knickers aren't in a knot & you're the one looking bad right now, not me. I'm good. Feeling oh so grown up? Great; then let's move on.

If you call the parent & the child stays in school, great. If the child has to leave the school with the parent, my understanding is, at least w/SPED kids, it's a suspension. Sorry Charlie!

Do you know about SPED, FBA, BIP, IEP, etc? If not, then I can't reply without going over your head. if you do, then you should know that if its done well, there should be a good plan & teachers & kids should have more win-win situations. Obviously, no guarantees, but that's the idea.

You seem pretty stuck in one answer for all situations. I'm real into individualized plans. We have very different ideas in this area. I've given you my background in SPED & ED. What is yours, if your willing to say?

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I have mixed emotions about individualized plans. I think they can either be great for a child or can completely destroy any chance at an education.

I've worked with many different children. Behavioral disorders stemming from abuse...children with autism, children with physical handicaps (CP, kids who can't see, hear, talk or walk) and I have an autistic 2 year old.
I wanted to be a teacher with a focus in special Ed. Love working with the kids but it's the parents I cannot stand and have zero patience for, which is why I'm not currently a teacher. I have a very low tolerance for bullshit and excuses from adults

Quoting Bookwormy:

My tushy feels fine; thanks for asking! You're right; you didn't cuss at me. However, common courtesy won't kill you. My knickers aren't in a knot & you're the one looking bad right now, not me. I'm good. Feeling oh so grown up? Great; then let's move on.

If you call the parent & the child stays in school, great. If the child has to leave the school with the parent, my understanding is, at least w/SPED kids, it's a suspension. Sorry Charlie!

Do you know about SPED, FBA, BIP, IEP, etc? If not, then I can't reply without going over your head. if you do, then you should know that if its done well, there should be a good plan & teachers & kids should have more win-win situations. Obviously, no guarantees, but that's the idea.

You seem pretty stuck in one answer for all situations. I'm real into individualized plans. We have very different ideas in this area. I've given you my background in SPED & ED. What is yours, if your willing to say?

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM

It looks like fun, I don't see the abuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured