Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Final Club What the heck does that mean?

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

Harvard 'Social Club' Tells Jews 'Don't Apply'

Students at Harvard University received invitations to an unrecognized club saying "Jews need not apply".
AAFont Size
By Rachel Hirshfeld
First Publish: 12/3/2012, 5:11 PM

Students at Harvard University received sealed invitations under their doors early Friday morning professing to come from “Harvard’s Newest Final Club”, with inflammatory statements that included “Jews need not apply” and “Coloreds OK.”

The flyers invited the students to the inaugural event of a new undergraduate social club, or finals club, called The Pigeon, the Harvard Crimson student newspaper reported.

According to the paper, “The invitation listed three virtues, each with asterisked notes. The first principle, ‘Inclusion,’ came with the footnote, ‘Jews need not apply.’ The second, 'Diversity,' was followed by the words, 'Seriously, no f***ing Jews. Coloreds OK.' And the third, ‘Love,’ directed readers to the term ‘Rophynol’—a misspelled rendering of rohypnol, the date rape drug better known as roofies.”

Eight all-male and five all-female Harvard finals clubs, which are not officially recognized by the university, have been accused of promoting "an exclusive and dangerous social environment," according to the Crimson.

The dean of Harvard College, Evelynn M, Hammonds, wrote in an email statement on Friday that the flyers were “deeply disturbing” to her and others in the Harvard community.

“As Dean of the College, and as an educator, I find these flyers offensive. They are not a reflection of the values of our community,” Hammonds wrote. “Even if intended as satirical in nature, they are hurtful and offensive to many students, faculty and staff, and do not demonstrate the level of thoughtfulness and respect we expect at Harvard when engaging difficult issues within our community.”

In addition, two Northeastern University students vandalized a menorah on Northeastern’s campus early Friday morning, the paper reported. They were later identified in a surveillance video and will face disciplinary action. No evidence has been reported to suggest a link between the two incidents.

Whatever these students had in mind for there "club" I would love to know what the heck they had in mind? To prove what with exclusion.  This is not like it's a religious club of any kind, or a club for student of a  specific nationality or race.  So what's up with this?

butterfly on headlynda  

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Now that's funny. I guess I'm the only one who laughed but I still thought it was funny. I would have gone and brought all of the Jews I could find.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM

IMO most 'private' clubs are about exclusion anyway.

I read tis article last week and to me it felt like a joke. Don't get me wrong, I realize that the world is full of bigots and racists that adhere to stereotypes. I just feel like this is some kind of prank. I'm probably wrong. meh

cammibear
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM
I don't know, but the anti-semitism in this country seems to be getting worse. They are only proving how "tolerant" and "loving" they really are. :(
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

When i was in elementary school my club was called  the Cat Fairies. We stood next to the kickball field and called some of boys names, we orchestrated a marriage between two students and i even brought my bible to school to perform the ceremony...

Sounds like my club except way stupider because i was 8.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
It would have gone over better if, at the end of the flyer they'd said "ok, bring the Jews but we are standing firm on keeping out the Irish!"
tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

At first I thought it was a joke too, I was wait for a  punchline.. or a a old sign business owners or landlords put in windows "Jews", "Irish" and "Coloreds" not welcome.  Not that that is a punchline either.

butterfly on headlynda  

romalove
by Roma on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It reminds me of the Phoenix club in the movie "Social Network".  Remember the invites were tossed under the door, and there was question about whether or not they were giving him an invite because he was a token Jew?

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like they were making fun of all the other exclusionary "private" clubs on campus...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashellbell
by shellbark on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM
I'm really intolerant of intolerance. Smh.
mommaoftwo
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM

it sounds very tongue in cheek to me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)