Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

60 Reasons to be Proud of 2012

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this

PRIDE! PRIDE! PRIDE!

60 Reasons To Be Proud In 2012

From pop culture to politics, it was quite a year.posted 

Coming out in Hollywood in 2012 became a casual affair. Gone were the days of the "I'm Gay" cover photo.

1. Matt Bomer thanked his partner, Simon Hall, and kids in an acceptance speech.

Matt Bomer thanked his partner, Simon Hall, and kids in an acceptance speech.
Image by Michael Buckner / Getty Images

2. Jim Parsons' sexuality was a matter-of-fact statement buried in a "New York Times" profile.

Jim Parsons' sexuality was a matter-of-fact statement buried in a
Image by Frazer Harrison / Getty Images

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

6. When Frank Ocean came out via Tumblr, the hip hop community embraced him.

When Frank Ocean came out via Tumblr, the hip hop community embraced him.

7. Russell Simmons (pictured) and Tyler, The Creator immediately vocalized support for the singer.

Russell Simmons (pictured) and Tyler, The Creator immediately vocalized support for the singer.
Image by Steve Mack / Getty Images

And it became clear that hip hop was ready, more than ever, to publicly demonstrate support for the gay community.

8. Jay-Z led the pack as one of the first major hip hop artists to back same-sex marriage.

Jay-Z led the pack as one of the first major hip hop artists to back same-sex marriage.
Image by Carlo Allegri / Reuters
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

15. Wrestler, Stephany Lee (right), became an Olympian and then a newlywed.

Wrestler, Stephany Lee (right), became an Olympian and then a newlywed.

16. Featherweight Orlando Cruz won his match just days after he became the first openly gay boxer.

Featherweight Orlando Cruz won his match just days after he became the first openly gay boxer.
Image by Scott Miller / Reuters
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM

28. Barack Obama became the first sitting president to publicly support same-sex marriage.

Barack Obama became the first sitting president to publicly support same-sex marriage.
Image by Jason Reed / Reuters

And not only was Obama re-elected, there were also several landmark victories for the LGBT community.

29. Eight out LGBT candidates ran as major-party nominees for Congress.

Eight out LGBT candidates ran as major-party nominees for Congress.

Top row from left; Wisconsin Democratic Senate candidate, Rep. Tammy Baldwin; Rep. David Cicilline, D-R.I. New York Democratic Rep. candidate Sean Patrick Maloney; bottom row from left; Republican U.S. House candidate Richard Tisei of Massachussets; former Arizona state Sen. Kyrsten Sinema and Congressional candidate Mark Takano of California.

Image by AP Photo / AP

30. In total, the Victory Fund endorsed a record-breaking 180 out LGBT candidates running for offices on all levels.

31. Tammy Baldwin became the first out LGBT senator.

Tammy Baldwin became the first out LGBT senator.
Image by Andy Manis / AP
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

41. Brenda Sue Fulton (a key DADT opponent) and Penelope Gnesin became the first same-sex couple to get married at the Cadet Chapel at West Point.

Brenda Sue Fulton (a key DADT opponent) and Penelope Gnesin became the first same-sex couple to get married at the Cadet Chapel at West Point.

42. Will Behrens and Erwynn Umali were able to profess their love to each other in the first gay union held on a U.S. military base.

Will Behrens and Erwynn Umali were able to profess their love to each other in the first gay union held on a U.S. military base.
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

46. Ellen DeGeneres was awarded the 15th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

Ellen DeGeneres was awarded the 15th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

(Proving everyone loved Ellen.)

Image by Jonathan Ernst / Reuters

47. In the comics world, "X-Men" character, Northstar, married his longtime boyfriend.

In the comics world, "X-Men" character, Northstar, married his longtime boyfriend.

48. The original Green Lantern, Alan Scott, came out.

The original Green Lantern, Alan Scott, came out.

49. "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" introduced Billy, the first out gay male slayer.

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer" introduced Billy, the first out gay male slayer.
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Sheldon seems asexual.. I never thought about if has gay or staight.  lol..  He's just FUNNY.  :)

krysstizzle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM

52. JCPenney named Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson and didn't blink when One Million Moms protested the decision.

JCPenney named Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson and didn't blink when One Million Moms protested the decision.
Image by Jonathan Ernst / Reuters

53. The retailer also released catalogues featuring same-sex families.

The retailer also released catalogues featuring same-sex families.

54. GAP followed suit and featured gay couples in its "Be Your Own T" and "Love Comes In Every Shade" ad campaigns.

GAP followed suit and featured gay couples in its "Be Your Own T" and "Love Comes In Every Shade" ad campaigns.
krysstizzle
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

lol! All I can see is Sheldon, who definitely has an asexual thing going. Jim who?? ;)

Quoting tooptimistic:

Sheldon seems asexual.. I never thought about if has gay or staight.  lol..  He's just FUNNY.  :)

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I know right?  Are they saying Sheldon isn't real. LOL..

He is my very favorite character on TV.  I just <3 him!!

I don't want to know about Jim Parsons, it will ruin it.  :)

Quoting krysstizzle:

lol! All I can see is Sheldon, who definitely has an asexual thing going. Jim who?? ;)

Quoting tooptimistic:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Shared this on my FB.. AWESOME!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN