Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Bible Tells Us When A Fetus Becomes A Living Being

Posted by   + Show Post

I thought this would make an interesting discussion...Thoughts?

The Bible Tells Us When A Fetus Becomes A Living Being

10/31/2012

Picture
Many people think that a human being is created at the time of conception but this belief is not supported by the bible. The fact that a living sperm penetrates a living ovum resulting in the formation of a living fetus does not mean that the fetus is a living human being. According to the bible, a fetus is not a living person with a soul until after drawing its first breath.

After God formed man in Genesis 2:7, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”. Although the man was fully formed by God in all respects, he was not a living being until after taking his first breath.

In Job 33:4, it states: “The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”

Again, to quote Ezekiel 37:5&6, “Thus says the Lord God to these bones:   Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live.   And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

In Exodus 21:22 it states that if a man causes a woman to have a miscarriage, he shall be fined; however, if the woman dies then he will be put to death. It should be apparent from this that the aborted fetus is not considered a living human being since the resulting punishment for the abortion is nothing more than a fine;   it is not classified by the bible as a capital offense.

According to the bible, destroying a living fetus does not equate to killing a living human being even though the fetus has the potential of becoming a human being.   One can not kill something that has not been born and taken a breath.   This means that a stillborn would not be considered a human being either.   Of course, every living sperm has the potential of becoming a human being although not one in a million will make it;   the rest are aborted. .

God has decreed, for one reason or another, that at least one-third of all pregnancies shall be terminated by a spontaneous abortion during the first trimester of pregnancy and that a number will be terminated after the first trimester.   It would appear that God does not have any more regard for the loss of a fetus than he does for the loss of a placenta or a foreskin despite the fact that these were living tissue as the result of conception.

In a number of versions of the bible, one of the commandments in Exodus 20 that was spoken by God to Moses states: “You shall not kill”. According to the Mosaic text, this should read “You shall not murder” since the bible has commandments stating that people shall be put to death for a number of different offenses. Exodus 21:17 states: “Whoever curses his father or mother shall be put to death.” There are other capital offenses in Exodus 21. Of course, the commandment “You shall not kill” is not present in the commandments written by God on the stone tablets. For those who are not familiar with the commandments on the stone tablets that were placed in the Ark of the Covenant, they are enumerated in Exodus 34. The popular ten commandments that are enumerated in Exodus 20 were spoken by God to Moses who then relayed them to his people; they were never written.

There is nothing in the bible to indicate that a fetus is considered to be anything other than living tissue and, according to scripture, it does not become a living being until after it has taken a breath. 

Source: "The bible tells us when a fetus becomes a living being," by Dr. Joe Schwartz

Many cite the scripture Jeremiah 1:5, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." God is omnipotent. He has known all of us since before creation. This scripture is irrelevant as it pertains to when a fetus becomes a living being. The same reasoning applies to Psalm 139:13-14

Numbers 5 describes "the Lord" orderinan abortion. Many argue that this is a misinterpretation. It's clearly stated in verse 22, "May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries."

Before false teachers turned the issue of reproductive choice into a political football, views on this matter were far less extreme.  Read "The ‘biblical view’ that’s younger than the Happy Meal" 

In 1973, Wallie Amos ‘W. A.’ Criswell, President of the Southern Baptist Convention from 1968 to 1970, said this: 
“I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person, and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed."

If you don't like abortion, don't have one. But don't judge others who may be in terrible circumstances that you can't possibly understand. Especially when your judgements are based on a politically motivated and questionable interpretation of the Bible (at best).

Those who say, "If you're a Christian, you have to be against abortion, and therefore you must vote republican," are simply reciting talking points from false teachers.

In the end, if abortion was such a grievous sin Jesus would have mentioned it.  He said nothing.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Replies (301-308):
catrig
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I am Christian. I believe life begins at conception. I am still pro-choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Yes, I do concede that the unfertilized egg and sperm are live--I was trying to articulate the differences in a simple way and I did so badly--yet neither constitues the living human organism.  However, a fertilized egg is the beginning of the life cycle of the human organism complete with the genetic information that will determine the rest of its response to stimuli.  That's a fundamental difference.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Meadowchik:

An egg is not alive, a sperm is not alive, but the live fertilized egg represents human life.  It is human and it is by scientific definition alive, so it is human life. 

Perhaps the author is confused.

How can an egg not be alive?  Or a sperm not be alive?  Both are alive and human, both are human life, just as an embryo is.  None of them are human beings. 

Yes....how could an egg in the woman's body NOT be alive...that would mean the egg was dead? And the sperm dead? LOL.And then they "come alive" when they unite?

Oh my.....I am amused at some of the lack of understanding of basic biology and human anatomy......

An egg is a living component of the human organism, an egg is not a living human organism.  Likewise with sperm.   Yet at fertilization, a new living human organism is created.

An egg IS a living collection of cells....just as a blood cell is alive ,even though it will not be able to live by itself outside of the body it is still a living piece of cellular matter. If the egg was not living, then it would be dead....there is only"LIVING and DEAD". Nothing in between. If the egg in your ovary was not living, it would cause toxic decay and death of the ovary which would cause illness to you,etc. Get it? Th eegg is lving. The sperm is also living. Combine them and you get a whole new combination of living cells.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I don't believe that at all. Science is believeable. Science tells us that the world was not created in 7 days. And God created the original one celled organisms that created life as we know it after millions of years of evolving.The Bible was written by a lot of creative writers....men. After many many years of education, reading and listening and living, I know this to be true.

Quoting Tranla:

But God is all-knowing and directly dictated the Bible. So God knew about all that, even though the people writing it didn't. And the world was created in 7 24-hour days.

Quoting lga1965:

Okay---here is something else that we need to realize. In Biblical days nobody knew about eggs and sperm and ovulation and such. They were creating stories and myths and fantasies and had no clue. How could the Bible tell us when life begins? LOL.

You guys are so gullible.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Redwall:

I'm against abortion for any reason...  What about the commandment "Thou Shalt Not Kill?"

That is how I feel....about myself. I would never have an abortion unless I was about to die and an abortion would save my life.I allow others to make up their own minds, though.

I believe in that commandment, "though shall not kill". I mentioned that when I was commenting on a thread about owning guns. I asked how a person can say they will shoot to kill if someone breaks into their home. I said "Thou shalt not kill"....so how can they justify having a gun and shooting an intruder? People disagreed with me. They basically laughed at me. They asked me if I was just going to let myself and my family be killed. I said that was a one in a million chance and that intruders usually shoot home owners anyway while they are looking for their gun , getting the ammo and loading it.

Anyway, I guess "thou shalt not kill" is not always observed or obeyed.

They can add a P.S,....." Thou shalt not kill....unless I decide it is okay to kill in specific situations."

So, we can't stop people from killing if they feel they can justify it. I find it is much better to avoid these issues on CM. I get tired of people harassing me for my own honest opinons.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

In order to fully understand the verse you need to know what the words meant at the time.  And the word miscarriage, held a different meaning then it does today.  

Quoting Tranla:

I read that as if the only damage to the woman is a miscarriage, then a fine is paid. If the woman is hurt beyond that, broken leg, lost tooth, etc., then further punishment is required. Damage to the woman, not the already miscarried fetus is what matters.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Here is the verse in question listed in the article.  And this is the interpritation the article sites

22 If men contend with each other, and a pregnant woman [interfering] is hurt so that she has a miscarriage, yet no further damage follows, [the one who hurt her] shall surely be punished with a fine [paid] to the woman’s husband, as much as the judges determine.

23 But if any damage follows, then you shall give life for life,

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

25 Burn for burn, wound for wound, and lash for lash.

The verse doesn't say if the woman dies, but if any damage follows.

If miscarriage holds the meaning of gives birth prematurely, then it would make sense that there could be potential damages to follow, such as the child may have developmental issues, or the child may die shortly after birth. 

The focus of the punishment is not on the woman being hit, as it doesn't list a punishment for hitting a pregnant woman unless it causes her to have a miscarriage. 

Tranla
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Whoops, forgot to make it clear I was joking. Need to remember that some people are actually crazy enough to believe that stuff.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't believe that at all. Science is believeable. Science tells us that the world was not created in 7 days. And God created the original one celled organisms that created life as we know it after millions of years of evolving.The Bible was written by a lot of creative writers....men. After many many years of education, reading and listening and living, I know this to be true.

Quoting Tranla:

But God is all-knowing and directly dictated the Bible. So God knew about all that, even though the people writing it didn't. And the world was created in 7 24-hour days.

Quoting lga1965:

Okay---here is something else that we need to realize. In Biblical days nobody knew about eggs and sperm and ovulation and such. They were creating stories and myths and fantasies and had no clue. How could the Bible tell us when life begins? LOL.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM

I am glad.....LOL.

Quoting Tranla:

Whoops, forgot to make it clear I was joking. Need to remember that some people are actually crazy enough to believe that stuff.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Tranla:

Quoting lga1965:

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

No.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

It's pointless to debate God and His Living Breathing Word..Unless you KNOW Him, have an intimate relationship with Him, you (general you) will never understand. I could explain until I am blue in the face, yet you will never get it. Only HE can bring you to the revelations you seek. If you want the understanding and answers ask Him..spend time in His word..seek and He will answer. The Faith and Understanding of God isn't your typical faith and understanding..It is a supernatural thing.

I see so many posts about Christianity on cm..the majority don't really want to understand..the point is to prove someone you (general) don't agree with wrong. If you really want to understand, you would pose these questions to the ONE who has all the answers.

but wouldn't it still be subjective?

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured